Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jul 16, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #1,126 of 9,690
I seem to remember something similar being said about the Go Vibe V7 IIRC...using the wall socket increased SQ a couple of notches. I'll have to drag mine out & give it a go.

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #1,127 of 9,690
I have both predator and iqube tnmike!
Was enquiring if anyone had any experience of a similiar set up to my own!

Jul 16, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #1,128 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both predator and iqube tnmike!
Was enquiring if anyone had any experience of a similiar set up to my own!

O SORRY--misread your post. Yes, I've had the Triples with Predator and 5.5g Imod Wonderful synergy. Sold the Trips now regretting it and trying to rebuy at a reasonable price. Especially anxious to try Steviebee's idea of the Shure silicone tips.

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #1,129 of 9,690
Just bought a new set of bi-flange tips. Nearly £20! For 5 pairs. Hopefully they will last me a good long while.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #1,130 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i might sell my proline 750's and get a pair of these just because in college i don't wanna be lugging around full sized headphones . not fun. also with full sized you are kind of strapped to your desk. what do you guys think, should i do it
biggrin.gif
?

You should walk around college wearing gigantic headphones and thick glasses that will turn you into a chick magnet.
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #1,131 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O SORRY--misread your post. Yes, I've had the Triples with Predator and 5.5g Imod Wonderful synergy. Sold the Trips now regretting it and trying to rebuy at a reasonable price. Especially anxious to try Steviebee's idea of the Shure silicone tips.

Odd how many people have all that buildup to buying Triple Fi & then sell them on quickly... [size=xx-small]& then regret it [/size]
biggrin.gif

Hope you find a pr at a good price, tnmike1.

And thanks, but credit for the Shure clear silicons should go to FeedMeTrance, this thread's originator. He kicked the Shure thing off AFAIK...

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #1,132 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had to start it, just absolutely blown away by the awesomeness of these earphones!

Using Shure E2C flex tips, just wow, cant explain the awesomeness!

Leona Lewis is fantastic on these, great mix of highs, bass and mids in most tracks!

Why did you go with the flex tips, instead of the foamies?

LOL. Can you try to explain why they make the Triple.fi's so much better?
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #1,133 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Odd how many people have all that buildup to buying Triple Fi & then sell them on quickly... [size=xx-small]& then regret it [/size]
biggrin.gif

Hope you find a pr at a good price, tnmike1.

And thanks, but credit for the Shure clear silicons should go to FeedMeTrance, this thread's originator. He kicked the Shure thing off AFAIK...

Didn't sell them quickly at all--went through a few months with them using the tips sent by UE, then Antoniofirst recommended the Shure Olive mod which I tried. Then did the "flip flop". Then tried the Comply 400s Hadn't heard of the Shure silicons, so now want to try that.

Honestly they were the best IEMs I've ever heard, and the only regret I have is that I didn't experiment more with them Perhaps the silicones are the answer?? Don[t know

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #1,134 of 9,690
Apologies, tnm, just joshing...no offence intended
smily_headphones1.gif

What was yr aim in trying out tips? Improved or at least unhampered SQ and/or fit? Like you, I went through all the standard ones, inc olives, T400 etc...

The Shure E2c clear tips do not impede the highs, but do emphasise Triple Fi bass presentation IME (but not to overwhelming SE530 levels). Makes for a very full and clean sound. Sometimes bass is too much with them for me, but I gave up my Basshead badge a long time ago.

And since getting my replacements, I've so far just stuck with UE grey silicons. I'll be trying the Shure clears again tho...just to check, lol.

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #1,135 of 9,690
Quote:

Apologies, tnm, just joshing...no offence intended
smily_headphones1.gif

What was yr aim in trying out tips? Improved or at least unhampered SQ and/or fit? Like you, I went through all the standard ones, inc olives, T400 etc...

The Shure E2c clear tips do not impede the highs, but do emphasise Triple Fi bass presentation IME (but not to overwhelming SE530 levels). Makes for a very full and clean sound. Sometimes bass is too much with them for me, but I gave up my Basshead badge a long time ago.

And since getting my replacements, I've so far just stuck with UE grey silicons. I'll be trying the Shure clears again tho...just to check, lol.

No apologies needed, be sure. My overall aim is comfort. I was good with the sound presentation from stock UE tips, the Complys and the Olive mod. But all were just too uncomfortable. Then too, I'm using amp and portable v-cap so they may add a little "juice" to the sound sig anyway.

Willing to try the Triples again, though. I mean what the heck, it's only money!!!
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #1,136 of 9,690
...and you can't take it with you
biggrin.gif

That's a thought - who am I going to leave all this stuff to?

Maybe, nearer the time, I just pack everything up & send it all back to the various companies with a note saying 'thanks for the use of...'

...& then wait for a cheque to arrive
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #1,137 of 9,690
I've never used an amp - for those of you who do, would you tell me how much % improvement it will add to the Triple-Fi experience?

I know that generally on head-fi, most members prefer to use amps but for me it's a question of extra $$ that I would be happy to save. I will add this to my gear only if the triple-fi users here feel that the performance of the Trips improves hugely as a result.

I use my TPf with Cowon D2 and I am more than happy with the sound except that I wouldn't mind a little more bass sometimes - on pop numbers mostly. I also notice a hiss on certain tracks - will the amp help to get rid of that?

Would also welcome reccos on amps that will have synergy with my set up. Thanks!

Stevie - just noticed you've become a 'supremeus'
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #1,138 of 9,690
Regarding amps, I should be getting my Hornet M today but no LOD yet so really can't use. Waiting is so painful.

The triples unamped have sounded so smooth on good recordings that it is addicting. On bad and old recordings like Led Zep 2, IV, etc., I hear crackling on parts of the songs, especially certain guitar parts. It will bring out weaknesses in recording. It could be my source as well (iPhone at 320kb AAC).

Jazz and classical sounds addicting too. Never liked before but it draws you in using triples. Oscar Peterson is great (acoustic stand up bass).

Jul 17, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #1,139 of 9,690
Hi geekchic
Amping isn't something I can really advise on as I always amp, out of habit I guess. What I can tell you is that, for me, amps bring a real sense of ease & solidity to the sound, and space & solidity to each instrument. It's as if each component & player is better defined. Careful amp matching can bring out certain areas too -for example, my GoVibe V7 has a lot brighter treble than my Hornet, so I may pair it with, say, the Shure E2c as they have a very dark sound. Haven't done this btw - my E2c's are kind of museum pieces now...

With regard to Triple Fi, I have only listened to them a couple of times without an amp. Amping just takes everything they do well & betters it as above. I'm not sure if an amp would help with your hissing problem...are you sure your not hearing more detail in the original recording (I clearly hear what sounds like a studio amp buzz on certain tracks for example)?

Good matches - Predator & iQube apparently. I use Hornet/SuperMicroIV with great results.

As for the Supremus - thanks! But nothing to do w/ me: Reach 1500 posts and you're it. Anyone's it. I used to think you had to be a headphone brainbox to be a Supremus - but apparently not! Just look at my posts, lol! The title seems a bit daft to me tbh but hey ho
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #1,140 of 9,690
Quote:

Hi geekchic
Amping isn't something I can really advise on as I always amp, out of habit I guess. What I can tell you is that, for me, amps bring a real sense of ease & solidity to the sound, and space & solidity to each instrument. It's as if each component & player is better defined. Careful amp matching can bring out certain areas too -for example, my GoVibe V7 has a lot brighter treble than my Hornet, so I may pair it with, say, the Shure E2c as they have a very dark sound. Haven't done this btw - my E2c's are kind of museum pieces now...

With regard to Triple Fi, I have only listened to them a couple of times without an amp. Amping just takes everything they do well & betters it as above. I'm not sure if an amp would help with your hissing problem...are you sure your not hearing more detail in the original recording (I clearly hear what sounds like a studio amp buzz on certain tracks for example)?

Good matches - Predator & iQube apparently. I use Hornet/SuperMicroIV with great results.

As for the Supremus - thanks! But nothing to do w/ me: Reach 1500 posts and you're it. Anyone's it. I used to think you had to be a headphone brainbox to be a Supremus - but apparently not! Just look at my posts, lol! The title seems a bit daft to me tbh but hey ho
smily_headphones1.gif

Amp and sources definitely becomes more important when using higher end equipment, and this applie sto the triple fi. The source is also very important, as i notice changes from source to source.

The same applies to the HD650, and to a lesser degree to the HD555.

Somebody asked what % of improvement you have when amping. I dont know if it is because my sources are too bad, but i have to sat that according to my ears, the headstage lyrix make them at least 50% better, maybe more. Using the ZVM or the laptop output they are very good, but nothing too impressive. When using the amp/dac and powered from the wallwart, the sounds seem to come from outside of my head, and both high end and low end are just amazing. Instrument separation is awesome. Everything feels and sounds great.

If you are not considering amping then I think you would be listening to MAYBE 66% of their potential, but as you all know it very subjective and your ears might hear things differently. I just refuse to listen to them unamped right now. Did I say im in love with the lyrix? so much that I really want to try the predator or even a higher end desktop amp just because how great I think this little thing is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back