Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #8,611 of 9,690
Hey Don! The suggestion about the olive tips 1st appeared on this thread 5(!) yrs ago! Just goes to show the cyclical nature of information, given time the old becomes the new again. In that spirit I'm offering/asking; have you tried flip/flopping the drivers yet?

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #8,612 of 9,690
Hi, thanks I didn´t see that. Thanks for the recordatory 
wink_face.gif

I tried the fli-flop mod, I didn´t find any improvement. I don´t have a problem with the way they sit is more a seal -problem.The complys work OK but they are quite expensive and you need to get new ones. Maybe this combo (olives and Sony tips) will last more and be lest expensive. Need to try

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #8,614 of 9,690
I cut down an old Comply set and used the Sony tips I bought recently.  So far, so good, although there may be too much (!)  "grab" in my ears for comfort.  I may try a slightly smaller Sony set and see.  

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #8,616 of 9,690
Hi Don, you can try with your old comply that is worn out and use one of tip that you got from the ue. Try that combo first and see if you like that. That way you save money for now

If it is too much "grab", you can scrape the inner part of the comply a little bit

Thanks @Astranaganz, shurely I will do. I hope I can get a better seal. I like the sound but it´s difficult to get a good seal. I was also think about reshell them (no more money this year, next year will be too much new things on the market, lets see what happens)

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #8,617 of 9,690
You are welcome! I think reshell is more like gambling. Especially, i read somewhere, tf10 drivers positioning were calculated precisely to get the intended sound. So chances are reshelling change the overall original sound.
IMO, go all the way full custom instead of reshell tf10

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #8,618 of 9,690
You are welcome! I think reshell is more like gambling. Especially, i read somewhere, tf10 drivers positioning were calculated precisely to get the intended sound. So chances are reshelling change the overall original sound.

The only gamble with getting a reshell is a proper fit right off the bat. But that is also true for any custom. Its common to have to go through getting them corrected. The sound stays the same with a reshell. If you want an upgrade in sound, then buy new customs, if you want to get the proper fit, get them reshelled, once they are done, no more worries about tips, fit etc etc.

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #8,620 of 9,690

That´s what I´m afraid of, I like the sound signature and will like to keep it. Going all the way custom means to me get one of the top tiers (costing a lot more but sure thing it´s worthy)

The only gamble with getting a reshell is a proper fit right off the bat. But that is also true for any custom. Its common to have to go through getting them corrected. The sound stays the same with a reshell. If you want an upgrade in sound, then buy new customs, if you want to get the proper fit, get them reshelled, once they are done, no more worries about tips, fit etc etc.

I know that to get a good seal you need to invest (time, money, etc) and hopefully I will get them reshelled, then I will go with the best customs I can afford. 

Thanks for your thoughts

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #8,621 of 9,690

I'm not so sure reshelling a TF10 would not affect the sound.  The reshell provider would have to position the drivers and tubes to the tip similarly to the unshelled TF10 in order to replicate the sound.  Not to mention the seal and fit of the reshell (if you get a proper one as you mention) may change the way you perceive the sound as well.  

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #8,622 of 9,690

I'm not so sure reshelling a TF10 would not affect the sound.  The reshell provider would have to position the drivers and tubes to the tip similarly to the unshelled TF10 in order to replicate the sound.  Not to mention the seal and fit of the reshell (if you get a proper one as you mention) may change the way you perceive the sound as well.  

My TF10 reshells sound didn't change. Bottom line, going with a reshell isn't going to ruin their sound, maybe that's a better way to put it.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #8,623 of 9,690
  Guess I'm sticking with ear tips.  Every audiologist I've called (7-8 of them) wants $70/85 per ear.  I don't want to reshell my TF 10s THAT much, especially with the cost of the reshelling on top of this.  If I start driving all over LA (Irvine, for instance) for cheaper,  it'll be hours in traffic plus gas.  I'll just keep getting Comply tips.  Oh well. 
biggrin.gif

Last year I used the UE website to list their "recommended audiologist" and I called around a couple ones quotes me $30-50 so not sure if prices went up or maybe say another shop is charging cheaper and see if they are willing to price match

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #8,625 of 9,690
when i had my first impressions done in florence alabama it cost $25 total but that was 5 years ago.  i think if you go to a smaller town it might be cheaper.
i found no sound change from stock at all.
i always use INEARZ (lil fish).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back