Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Aug 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #3,916 of 9,690

Quote:
Without any doubt, the TF10 destroys the MC5 in everything. 
but that is just my taste tho, probably most different earphones ever, the ety feels light and analytical, the TF10 has a full sound and its pure fun, at least for me.

When TF10 came out it was hailed as a much more weighty Ety....and more fun.  What more could a person want?
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #3,917 of 9,690

Quote:
When TF10 came out it was hailed as a much more weighty Ety....and more fun.  What more could a person want?
tongue.gif

really? **** Im getting good at describing sound! I guess some might as for a more analytical sound, but in  my case, portable is about fun. TF10 is a keeper, only way Im upgrading IEM is custom, and that aint happening anytime soon.

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #3,918 of 9,690
James I wish you lived in the US, if I mailed you the ER6's and you ran them with like any sort of amp, you'd be floored by how accurate they are at the expense of having a full bodied sound.

I agree with TF.10's vs the MC5, but not the ER4's I got to borrow. The ER4's accuracy is another way of having fun with music. But then again I don't need to tell you that, being a Grado owner, the detail, warm mids, and fun treble tone more than make up for it's lack of weight. TF.10's on silver or even like good quality OCC copper is like night and day. I used to own these Furutech cabled TF.10's I bought from ebay (where I discovered recabling) and it was well worth the money I spent. You can get your TF.10's reshelled into custom shells and they'll be closer to customs than you think. Obviously the armatures aren't tuned to match each other like the customs are, but who knows? It's like 80 bucks for a reshell, you can find various cables on ebay which do make a difference, this one guy who makes the Furutech ones were my gateway into silver.

You should give the SR-225's a try mate, but thats for another thread. I see you got the woodies though!

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #3,919 of 9,690
blink.gif
 just when I say Im dont with IEMs you come and tell mw hoe much better the er4/6 is... man I hate you 
biggrin.gif

Ive read about reshelled, I believe some company even offers 1 extra drivers to pump out the mids TF10+1(?) and btw i havent had experince with fancy cables, and i still dont believe a cable can change the sound.. but I am always in for a sleek cable tho,

http://cgi.ebay.com/FURUTECH-Ultimate-Ears-upgrade-cable-UE-triple-fi-10-/250860330092 was this one the one you mentioned?

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #3,920 of 9,690
Chris, get out of here before you tempt me to buy an ER4 with ACS tips.
mad.gif

biggrin.gif

The ER4 is something I'd really like to try, but not with the stock tips. I hate those things. I just don't want to spend $300 on the phones and the custom tips to find out I hate the sound sig.  Plus I keep wanting to try new headphones, and then I realize how awesome the TF10 is, and I can't get myself to even remotely consider any other IEM.

My wallet isn't that lucky though, as I've turned my search over to full size headphones. I'm thinking AD900.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #3,921 of 9,690
Oh yeah the ER6 is leagues ahead of the MC5. My friend got the MC5 for a China Air plane trip, he just likes only the isolation... the ER4 makes me forget about headphones SOMETIMES. I probably just like it cuz it was new to me at the time.

I won't get into whether cables do or don't make a difference without making it sound like I'm self-plugging, but I used to think recables were ridiculous too until I was tired of replacing like 2-3 UE cables a year for two of their IEM's I owned so I just looked on ebay for replacements.

The reshell gives you better isolation for sure, which I believe might contribute to the better sound. I don't work at UE, so I wouldn't be able to tell you why full customs are better other than better matched drivers.

Quote:
blink.gif
 just when I say Im dont with IEMs you come and tell mw hoe much better the er4/6 is... man I hate you 
biggrin.gif

Ive read about reshelled, I believe some company even offers 1 extra drivers to pump out the mids TF10+1(?) and btw i havent had experince with fancy cables, and i still dont believe a cable can change the sound.. but I am always in for a sleek cable tho,

http://cgi.ebay.com/FURUTECH-Ultimate-Ears-upgrade-cable-UE-triple-fi-10-/250860330092 was this one the one you mentioned?

Yep thats the one that got me all started!

Furutech isn't even silver or exceptionally high quality copper, but there is definitely a quantitive difference with that guys cable. It's also pretty cheap. One side effect was the earloops were a little stiff at first, but you can shape them with a hairdryer from what I remember. I'm not afilliated with the guy in any way. We're not even in the same country lol, but he does good work for not too much money and I thought he deserved a mention.

Here is a buddies impression on them, I eventually nuked the connectors and just fixed them for him before I became MOT, but you honestly can just break in the earloops with a hairdryer and it'll become nice.

"mootookang
Apr 28, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Hello, I've received the cable today.

The cable sounds great, but the shrink tube that only reaches half way is really uncomfortable. With the memory in the cable, the shrink tube's sharp edges would push up against the back of my ears making the cable really difficult to wear.

Would it be possible to remove the shrink tube? Or would it be better to leave it alone?"

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #3,924 of 9,690
ok, so I'm looking around for a new cable for my triples..........I have looked into custom cables,  do westone ES cables and future sonic cables fit the triples too? anyone know? thanks

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #3,925 of 9,690

Quote:
ok, so I'm looking around for a new cable for my triples..........I have looked into custom cables,  do westone ES cables and future sonic cables fit the triples too? anyone know? thanks

Westone ES cables use larger pins, they won't fit... at least easily. They're pinned to the same spec as UE customs but the pins are a little longer. They still fit for the most part. Westone production IEM's use the same pins but again, just a tad bit longer, nothing a small file won't solve!

The popular thing to do back in the day when people we're fed up with replacing cables like every 6 months was to use trimmed Westone UM1 cables

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3,928 of 9,690
Yup you're speaking to someone with a broken pair of UE SF5's that died the same death..

So sad, and a reshell costs like 80-150 dollars, thats really the only option to save them though

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #3,929 of 9,690
Hopefully that never happens to mine. I almost bought Ety ER4's yesterday night until I heard my TF10's again. The ER4's were quickly forgotten. 
smile.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #3,930 of 9,690
Mines broke from the "plastic-thingy-with-the-bores-that-holds-the-tips" thing once, left side, and I micro epoxy-it. It ended up so good that sometimes I think of breaking the other one and epoxy it as well just in case it breaks when Im on a trip.

anyone tried that custom mod from fisher that add them one extra driver to bump up the mids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back