Ultimate Ears 700, is it good?
Sep 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #31 of 36

Quote:
I'm new here and I'm looking around the forum for opinions and reviews on certain IE phones.  I stumbled upon this thread and although I'm late to the party I'm compelled to give my 2 cents.  I see that you already decided on the UE700.  Based on the review from Touchmyapps.com "If you are someone who likes to be enveloped in low frequencies (the so-called bass), you may want to stay away from these."  Have you tested them yet?  Does it meet your need? If it's not quite what you are looking for (still has too much bass) then you may want to try something else. I read that Etymotic, not sure which models, do not excel much on bass so i'm surprised that it was not even recommended here. 

I like tight deep bass and not boomy bass so I thought Etymotic is the way to go but they have microphonic problems (so does the Q-Jays).  There are two others that I came across while doing my research.  They are not well known brands.  The Phiaton Primal Series PS 200, according to professional and consumer reviews are excellent earphones but have no bass at all!  Another one I came across is the Phonak Audeo Perfect Fit.  According to ExpertReviews "They sound better than similarly priced headphones from Etymotic and match Shure's SE310 set." And according to CNET, the bass, although detailed maybe quite inadequate for some people.  You may actually find your holy grail in one of those two brands.

I ended up buying the 700s, and I am pretty happy with those. Compared to my Etymotic hf5, it has more bass. The only weakness of the 700 would be the mids, but it's still very good. I am a basshead, but I already have the IE8 and the Image X10, CX300, and I only have 1 not bassy IEM, that's why I deiced to get "less bassy" IEM's.

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #32 of 36
The UE700 are really quiet bright. Sometimes if you turn the volume up a little bit louder cymbals and such will become extremely fatiguing and wash out the rest of the spectrum. Overall they are good sounding headphones, but they are definitely a lot more bright than neutral.

I run them directly out of my sansa clip, and sometimes amped at home from my laptop. They are all right, but I feel like there are better iem's for the price.

-Ambient Revolution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back