TRN impressions thread
Dec 23, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #3,661 of 3,806
TA1 MAX is slower in sound, smaller in stage and has more body and not as clear as the XuanWu. There is also less sub-bass extension. I need to listen to the XuanWu more to confirm as I find the MAX better for female vocale currently thou.
Yes the sub bass extension seems short lived; but I believe it's being masked by the factory tuning. I think the *highlighted range is also leading to some over exertion of the DD.

Is the TRN TA1 a giant killer, no, . . . maybe. But after some PEQ cuts, this is serious bass head level stuff. All for around $50 USD

After using my current PEQ settings, "Rack City" (by TYGA), the sub bass hits are better than they should be (for the price); they're layered, well defined, good amount of decay and tactile (chest thumps).

Considering that the TA1 Max has a very similar setup to the iKKO OH10, including the same Knowles 33518 BA, it's no surprise that I would find the TA1 Max to be a younger sibling of the OH10. The big difference being the coating/plating on the DD. Titanium for the OH10 and beryllium for the TA1 Max. and the larger, copper shell of the OH10; which lends itself to a wider soundstage.

The diminutive footprint also makes the Max a comfortable fit & seal for all.

* TRN-Audio.com graph
1671847049029.png

This is the 1st IEM, where I've had to make this amount of cuts, below 250hz, on the Qudelix 5K
TRN TA1 Max Qudelix.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #3,662 of 3,806
The new tips material similar to moondrop spring, but smaller bore. Not small bore, they are on medium bore, similar to cp360 bore width.
Quite tacky for seal, not bad at all IMHO since they are cheap too.
Unfortunately the MT3 only came with a medium pair of the new TRN tips. I was also struck by the similarity to spring tips, both are soft silicon and ribbed (hopefully not for extra stimulation :astonished:). I ordered a pack of the large size to try since they are cheap.

Dec 25, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #3,663 of 3,806
Had a good amount of time with the xuanwu and some thoughts.

I was curious about the sound of square planar driver and comparing to the other TRN iems in my collection its faster than a dynamic, just about as fast the the kirin.

Its relaxed, softer and smoother in the mids and treble. It lacks the sparkle, energy, detail and resolution of the ST5 in the treble, doesn't extend as well in the higher frequencies. The ST5 has a more pleasant tonality and timbre, I'd say sweeter is an accurate description and the sound is richer with more body. Has a similar stage and depth as the ST5 maybe a tad less but it doesn't sound as holographic.

I think because the ST5 sets such a high bar its difficult to beat but the xuanwu is quite good at the offering price. Either way, can't go wrong with either, they blow away any KZ / CCA or budget iems at this price point.

Dec 25, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #3,664 of 3,806
The new tips material similar to moondrop spring, but smaller bore. Not small bore, they are on medium bore, similar to cp360 bore width.
Quite tacky for seal, not bad at all IMHO since they are cheap too.
I have not tried the Moondrop Spring tips, but I agree, the TRN "T-EAR" (the brand name) tips are medium bore.

Quick comparison with the TRI Clarion tips using the Letshuoer S12 Pros.

The T-Ear apart from having medium bore, have a shorter stem (inner tube) than the Clarion. The Clarion tips come with a longer stem and wide bore. Both sets of tips are silicone and clear, no colouring.

The T-ear does a good job in presenting sound, like the Clarion, both sets deliver, without impeding, what is coming out of the earphones, which gives an open sound compared to foam tips. Neither set enhances or dampens bass tones.

However, the Clarions' wide bore and longer stem puts them closer to your eardrums therefore brings the sound forward making it sound more immediate, bringing voices and instruments in the midrange forward.

It really depends on your preference, if you want a more forward presentation, Clarion or a slightly recessed and relaxed presentation, T-ear.

All these are small differences, but make a difference depending on the adjustments you want to make on your earphones.

Dec 28, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #3,666 of 3,806
This hakugei healer cable really pairs well with the ST5.

20221228_231910.JPG

Jan 2, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #3,667 of 3,806
I'm very impressed of my TRN BAX . Awesome All rounder and better with TRN T tips
The failed is the quality of the faceplate, which take lot of stripes ( not sure if this world). But the signs is very awesome for the price

TRN Xuanwu is a great YES. Basically it's the same configuration than gumiho ( it's the same driver). They work on with slightly less high frequency, slightly more Mids but less sub bass. And TRN T bring more warmer sound.
It's a very efficient iem, and don't abuse of high frequency, that's cool !

Jan 2, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #3,669 of 3,806
I'm very impressed of my TRN BAX . Awesome All rounder and better with TRN T tips
The failed is the quality of the faceplate, which take lot of stripes ( not sure if this world). But the signs is very awesome for the price

TRN Xuanwu is a great YES. Basically it's the same configuration than gumiho ( it's the same driver). They work on with slightly less high frequency, slightly more Mids but less sub bass. And TRN T bring more warmer sound.
It's a very efficient iem, and don't abuse of high frequency, that's cool !
Not the same driver as Gumiho, HiFri did a teardown of both on New Years Eve. The TRN is the same type (SPD) and size, but not the same model. :L3000:

Jan 2, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #3,670 of 3,806
Not the same driver as Gumiho, HiFri did a teardown of both on New Years Eve. The TRN is the same type (SPD) and size, but not the same model.
:L3000:

Hum interesting, normally it's the same, I had the info before the availability of Xuanwu

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #3,672 of 3,806
This is such a combo:
XuanWu + T tips + Fifty Strings White Hwak (21.6AWG Silver Plated Neotech UPOCC 4 Wire)

20230105_162111.jpg
This is like the IEM version of the AKG K701 with a lot more detail. Male vocale sounds just especially good. :L3000:
Mine has arrived too, initial impression is that Xuanwu quite "overly detailed" with good bass. Bass is controlled with adequate amount of thump, not enough for basshead though. Vocal seems reccessed, different souces might get sibilance or not. Soundstage is "accurate".

I thought it would be somehow comparable with my Hifiman Sundara, but the Sundara is in a different league though.
Anw, I'm totally satisfied with this 19-ish dollar iem :L3000:

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #3,673 of 3,806
Mine has arrived too, initial impression is that Xuanwu quite "overly detailed" with good bass. Bass is controlled with adequate amount of thump, not enough for basshead though. Vocal seems reccessed, different souces might get sibilance or not. Soundstage is "accurate".

I thought it would be somehow comparable with my Hifiman Sundara, but the Sundara is in a different league though.
Anw, I'm totally satisfied with this 19-ish dollar iem :L3000:
Well it is hard to compare an IEM to a headphone still. But I find hints of that headphone texture and stage in this IEM. :L3000: Technicality of course can be better but this is something I have never heard from an IEM/ IEM driver. That SPD is something special especailly at this price point.

Jan 6, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #3,674 of 3,806
This is such a combo:
XuanWu + T tips + Fifty Strings White Hwak (21.6AWG Silver Plated Neotech UPOCC 4 Wire)

This is like the IEM version of the AKG K701 with a lot more detail. Male vocale sounds just especially good. :L3000:

Mine just in, too!
DSC_0073.jpegdone.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #3,675 of 3,806
I think it is time for TRN to get its own thread.

It is a young company of 2 individuals that came from KZ family and are trying to produce similar low budget IEMs.
They got 3 products so far under their name: V10, V20 and V60.
V10 was a partial failure, good on paper, bad in reality (harsh highs).
V20 is a little gem under 20$ - very balanced dual driver (1DD and 1BA) IEM with plenty of bass, great mids and detailed highs.
V60 is still in the process of finding itself (the first batch sent was faulty and is in the process of exchange for all the customers that bought it).

Will write a lengthy impression of V20 here a little later and will be following their future products and decisions.
Got my XuanWu last week.
(1) need about a day to burn-in... immense improvement and stays on stable
(2) lots of a definition and energy in low frequency.
(3) a tad better than QiLin(Kirin), esp. in the bass and ultra bass departments
(4) good sensitivity, but requires a decent amp to drive out the tonal nuances, in my case Moon River 2.
(5) however on a good DAP such as my Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, it is almost an overkill.
(6) a better cable would enhance the overall sound quality.
In general, a very good product, and the price is unbeatable.

Attachments

• WX20230116-091401@2x.png
    WX20230116-091401@2x.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back