TRN impressions thread
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #3,346 of 3,805
I believe the tuning of the upcoming ST5 could push TRN into another league entirely. They're on an upswing, which is nice to see.
trn-st5-01.jpg
I'm snagging a pair of these when they land.

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #3,347 of 3,805
Well, that's the question. TA1 max have done extremely well, TRN will have their work cut out for them in almost the same price range. 10€ I don't consider to be a price difference. Although in Chi-fi? Personally, though, I feel like the timbre in Ta1 max helps that Knowles one. We will be happy to be surprised. The shell of TRN ST5 is beautiful, at least according to the promo pics.

I just ordered mine and am betting on TRN's improved tuning I've heard in the last few IEMs I purchased. I want to compare this configuration to the high end Shure and others offer, not the usual comparable Chi-Fi wares. The point about audio on the go for me is to listen to music out and about, so I don't like overinvesting in day to day usage IEMs. That way I don't worry while riding a Subway either about damaging them or having the pair torn off my head. The higher end stuff stays at home.

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #3,348 of 3,805
I just ordered mine and am betting on TRN's improved tuning I've heard in the last few IEMs I purchased. I want to compare this configuration to the high end Shure and others offer, not the usual comparable Chi-Fi wares. The point about audio on the go for me is to listen to music out and about, so I don't like overinvesting in day to day usage IEMs. That way I don't worry while riding a Subway either about damaging them or having the pair torn off my head. The higher end stuff stays at home.
I just bought the TA1 max as well along with a Zonie Zoe cable. This is the 4th IEM and cable I've bought in a week. I got to stop. :ksc75smile:

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #3,349 of 3,805
Case looks shallower than BAX. 2x 30095 in the nozzle for high frequency, 2x 50060 in the body for mids and a beryllium coated DD. So it's essentially a CCA C10 in a metal case with an improved DD. Not groundbreaking but has potential. The 10mm DD is likely to be the same one as the TA1 Max. So how do 4x Bellsing compare to 1x Knowles?
Yea from the graphs the ST5 should have the same DD and I am happy they are keeping this winning formula. I have several IEMs with this Knowles 33518 and all of them sound pretty mediocre, just nothing like the MAX. The 33518 is a very cheap Knowles to begin with and I bet 4 Bellsing(? or maybe 1audio) BAs should take the MAX tuning to another level, not groundbreaking thou as you said.

Aug 5, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #3,350 of 3,805
TBH, I really find the MAX comparable to or better than my other IEMs in the $200 range but I am using a $200 cable with it thou.

Aug 6, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #3,353 of 3,805
With the TRN Bax, which eartips are Balanced and which are Bass?

B43385A0-14A1-4785-855F-6697E8B9D3A3.png

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #3,356 of 3,805
The internal bore at the base where it goes onto the nozzle will be the same size. Look at the top of the eartips to see if the bore is narrowed or enlarged. That part affects the sound transmission into your ear. How thick and how flexible the silicon is may also vary, as can the profile. You can also put a tip of different type on each IEM and listen that way to a mono recording. If one sounds darker/brighter/sibilant etc. that will highlight the difference. Then swap tips over to make sure that your perceived changes are due to the tips.

Aug 6, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #3,357 of 3,805
The internal bore at the base where it goes onto the nozzle will be the same size. Look at the top of the eartips to see if the bore is narrowed or enlarged. That part affects the sound transmission into your ear. How thick and how flexible the silicon is may also vary, as can the profile. You can also put a tip of different type on each IEM and listen that way to a mono recording. If one sounds darker/brighter/sibilant etc. that will highlight the difference. Then swap tips over to make sure that your perceived changes are due to the tips.

Thanks, I’ll try that.

In the meantime it looks like the translucent white ones are balanced and the black ones are bass - ran the labels through Google translate:

BA714701-49DC-44B2-93F9-D8FD853DC81D.jpeg

F7F643FE-CDBB-4128-A3E2-248A6C3808E8.jpeg

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #3,358 of 3,805
Got my TA1 max in a bit ago. They are a different animal from all the bassy iem's I've been buying lately. These are quite a bit more analytical than I'm used too. Very clear with loads of top end, but in a good way. They are not harsh or fatiguing at all. These are going to be a great iem for male vocals and jazz.

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #3,359 of 3,805
Wow. The TA1 max is very tip dependent. I typically wear a medium, but I have found that the black large tips seal the best and sound great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back