TRN impressions thread
Oct 7, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #2,416 of 3,805
Anyone found a perfect eartips fit for BA8's nozzle?

Just to share, so far I have rolled starline,SF360,SF145,Spiral dots,AET07,misodiko,tennmak, symbioWn. And currently settled on these...
20201007_221147.jpg
No, it's not symbioW but it's the peel. The BA8 is very picky on tips. My ZAX are on Spiral dots. And my incoming Azla Xelastlec is still stuck in LAX:thinking:

Oct 8, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #2,417 of 3,805
Anyone found a perfect eartips fit for BA8's nozzle?

Just to share, so far I have rolled starline,SF360,SF145,Spiral dots,AET07,misodiko,tennmak, symbioWn. And currently settled on these...
20201007_221147.jpg
No, it's not symbioW but it's the peel. The BA8 is very picky on tips. My ZAX are on Spiral dots. And my incoming Azla Xelastlec is still stuck in LAX:thinking:
are the ba8 better than the zax ?

Oct 8, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #2,418 of 3,805
are the ba8 better than the zax ?
I was thinking of getting rid of it until it met Quedelix, glad I did not. Some minor tuning on 5K's EQ surpass ZAX on most fronts.

Oct 9, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #2,422 of 3,805
Screenshot_20201009-200110_Qudelix.jpg

Just did it, first on the list👍

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,423 of 3,805
Just received a review unit of the TRN V90S.

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-09 at 23.23.54.jpeg

The usual TRN dearth of accessories are provided: a filmsy stock cable and a few tips. Well the more expensive TRN VX provided similar accessories for almost double the price, so I guess this is okay in my book. Anyways, most of us in this hobby will probably tip or cable roll some aftermarket stuff in.

The shell is nice, comfortable and light. Well constructed metal shell. No driver flex for me.

OOTB impressions:
Tuning wise, this is a deep V shape set. Technicalities are good. Soundstage is pretty good, and this might be partially explained by the distant lower mids. I found the lower mids almost absent on some tracks I am familiar with, so this is not a set for mid lovers. Guitars can be a bit subdued in the TRN V90S due to this deep V shape.

BA timbre is unfortunately present for acoustic instruments.

Subbass > midbass, minimal midbass bleed. Subbass extension is great. Bass is of good quality in being well textured and quite accurate. I think bassheads will like the quantity and texturing and extension.
Mids as above are a bit distant in the lower mids. Upper mids are boosted but only on rare occasions did they get shouty. Mild sibilance. Quite safe upper mids, compared to the TRN VX and TRN BA8.

Will burn in and do some tip/cable rolling. I think bassheads will like this set. Mid lovers best give it a miss though, due to the overly depressed lower mids. Technicalities amd fit are good. I really like the bass texturing and extension. I think it will do well with bass forward music, eg EDM.

Oct 9, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #2,424 of 3,805

The usual TRN dearth of accessories are provided: a filmsy stock cable and a few tips. Well the more expensive TRN VX provided similar accessories for almost double the price, so I guess this is okay in my book. Anyways, most of us in this hobby will probably tip or cable roll some aftermarket stuff in.

The shell is nice, comfortable and light. Well constructed metal shell. No driver flex for me.

OOTB impressions:
Tuning wise, this is a deep V shape set. Technicalities are good. Soundstage is pretty good, and this might be partially explained by the distant lower mids. I found the lower mids almost absent on some tracks I am familiar with, so this is not a set for mid lovers. Guitars can be a bit subdued in the TRN V90S due to this deep V shape.

Subbass > midbass, minimal midbass bleed. Subbass extension is great. Bass is of good quality in being well textured and quite accurate. I think bassheads will like the quantity and texturing and extension.
Mids as above are a bit distant in the lower mids. Upper mids are boosted but only on rare occasions did they get shouty. Mild sibilance. Quite safe upper mids, compared to the TRN VX and TRN BA8.

Will burn in and do some tip/cable rolling. I think bassheads will like this set. Mid lovers best give it a miss though, due to the overly depressed lower mids. Technicalities amd fit are good. I really like the bass texturing and extension. I think it will do well with bass forward music, eg EDM.

Nice impressions :)
I have the V90 and I'm really curious how these will compare to its predecessor.

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #2,426 of 3,805

OOTB impressions:

Nice!

Oct 11, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #2,427 of 3,805

OOTB impressions:

Hmmm I am waiting for mine, I was expecting better mids as they advertised.

BA timbre present? Is that good or bad thing? Not quite sure what you mean by that? Was it not tuned accordingly BA/DD incoherent? Transitions not smooth?

how is the bass compared to ZAX?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #2,428 of 3,805
Hmmm I am waiting for mine, I was expecting better mids as they advertised.

BA timbre present? Is that good or bad thing? Not quite sure what you mean by that? Was it not tuned accordingly BA/DD incoherent? Transitions not smooth?

Well for me personally, I find BA don't give as accurate timbre for acoustic instruments as DD, but YMMV.
Even the most expensive BA set I have tried (QDC Anole VX, 10 BA set), the timbre still isn't as natural as the cheap BLON BL-03 (single DD).

At the budget segment, the multi BA/hybrids in general have better technical performance than single DD sets, but the single DD types generally have better timbre. The multi BA/hybrids may also have crossover or coherency issues sometimes, so different strokes for different folks, some like their technical performance, some go for more natural timbre.

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #2,429 of 3,805
Well for me personally, I find BA don't give as accurate timbre for acoustic instruments as DD, but YMMV.
Even the most expensive BA set I have tried (QDC Anole VX, 10 BA set), the timbre still isn't as natural as the cheap BLON BL-03 (single DD).

At the budget segment, the multi BA/hybrids in general have better technical performance than single DD sets, but the single DD types generally have better timbre. The multi BA/hybrids may also have crossover or coherency issues sometimes, so different strokes for different folks, some like their technical performance, some go for more natural timbre.

assuming what you say, the timbre sounds plasticky, a bit sterile, but offers more clarity?

how is the bass compared to KZ Zax or ZS10 Pro? Have you EQ the IEM for better mids?

Oct 11, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #2,430 of 3,805
assuming what you say, the timbre sounds plasticky, a bit sterile, but offers more clarity?

how is the bass compared to KZ Zax or ZS10 Pro? Have you EQ the IEM for better mids?

Clarity has nothing to do with timbre, that is a function of the frequency response, ie due to the IEM tuned to have boosted upper mids/treble that gives the sound more clarity.

Timbre is more to do with whether an acoustic instrument sounds as it is supposed to - eg does a violin sound like a violin in real life? The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines "timbre" as:

Definition of timbre

: the quality given to a sound by its overtones: such as
a: the resonance by which the ear recognizes and identifies a voiced speech sound
b: the quality of tone distinctive of a particular singing voice or musical instrument

I don't have the ZAX and I've sold off all my KZs except the KZ ZS10 Pro, but I'll do some A/B testing against the KZ ZS10 Pro this week and let you know.

I don't usually use EQ. But I'll give EQ a try for the TRN V90S, though I think EQ is more useful to drop down certain frequencies rather than boosting the lower mids (as is the weakness of the TRN V90S). It might actually be better to consider another set if you are mids lover, rather than doing a lot of EQ to make an IEM not what something it was tuned to be. Sometimes EQ introduces distortion, or it affects surrounding frequencies too. YMMV.

Maybe u can check with the rest who have the ZAX, I've read quite good reviews about it.

Other than the mids and timbre, the TRN V90S is actually quite a good set in terms of textured bass with good soundstage and technical performance. It isn't as hot in the upper mids/treble like a lot of other KZs/TRNs, so in that respect I think I will be using it much more than them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back