TRN impressions thread
Sep 20, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #2,386 of 3,805
I'm totally agree

great tuning, bass is better than expected, very deep for only 1 ba bass, not very high mid bass. Balanced to neutral tuning. Great highlight on all instruments
for me it's a huge upgrade from cca c16
Well, more relevant comparison would be with C16 and AS16.

CA16 with their "vintage" sound is an opposite to all-BAs.

Looking into BA8 again, given TRN "quality control" (or more specifically tge lack of evidence for any) and their asking price (!) - still an emphatic "no" for me.

Sep 20, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #2,387 of 3,805
their asking price (!)

This is the single factor that I think is preventing the BA8 from finding themselves in the hands of more users. It is definitely outside of impulse/blind-buying territory, and if you're paying that much $$$ for TRN you are probably going to want to buy it off Amazon rather than AE, which makes discounts far less likely :)

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #2,388 of 3,805
Well, more relevant comparison would be with C16 and AS16.

CA16 with their "vintage" sound is an opposite to all-BAs.

Looking into BA8 again, given TRN "quality control" (or more specifically tge lack of evidence for any) and their asking price (!) - still an emphatic "no" for me.

Ca16 is, for me, very bad ( bad tuning, bad DD performance, weird tonality, not very detailed...)

For QC... Sorry for you. I don't have my any problem with iem. But bt20s ... Yes ( lost of sync )

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #2,389 of 3,805
My po
Ca16 is, for me, very bad ( bad tuning, bad DD performance, weird tonality, not very detailed...)

For QC... Sorry for you. I don't have my any problem with iem. But bt20s ... Yes ( lost of sync )
My main point was that comparison between CA16 and BA8 is not much to the point given their very different nature. Now giving your expressed negative bias against CA16, it is even more so the case.

I like CA16 for its strength, and since I bought CA16 with my own money (as all my other IEMs), I won't go further to blatantly argue that it is the best thing since the sliced bread :)

Ouais, out of my 50 or so IEMs, only TRN (X6) was a pathetic experience right out of the box :frowning2:

Sep 22, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #2,390 of 3,805
Sep 22, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #2,391 of 3,805
My po
My main point was that comparison between CA16 and BA8 is not much to the point given their very different nature. Now giving your expressed negative bias against CA16, it is even more so the case.

I like CA16 for its strength, and since I bought CA16 with my own money (as all my other IEMs), I won't go further to blatantly argue that it is the best thing since the sliced bread :)

Ouais, out of my 50 or so IEMs, only TRN (X6) was a pathetic experience right out of the box :frowning2:

Ca16 is, at my opinion, the worst buy to do
( All I have is sample (95% )

Trn x6 is bass lack iem, but other are ok
V80 weird tuning. I appreciate ba5 which are very good !

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #2,392 of 3,805
I borrowed a TRN BA8 from a friend yesterday.

Fit and build is good. Isolation is good as per most pure BA setups. Accessories are really rubbish for the $150 price. A thin tangly usual cable seen in $20 - 30 TRN models, a round hard case and some tips are provided, I've seen $30 - 40 USD CHIFI with way better packaging. But of course accessories are not important in the big scheme of things, the sound is.

TRN_BA_8_graph.png
Graph from BGGAR

So brief sound impressions are: technically they are good. Mild V shaped. Yes it is hot in the upper mids/lower treble, but not as bad as the graphs would suggest actually. It is actually not as painful as the TRN VX, but treble sensitive/upper mid sensitive folks best give this set a miss. Timbre is OK for a multi BA set and note weight is thin, though maybe some single DD types will probably have a more natural sounding timbre (in my opinion). Bass is actually quite textured. BA8 pairs better with warmer sources or played at lower volumes so the upper mids don't get too hot (fletcher munson curve). The 2 kHz area I think is the part that is a bit jarring with high vocals and say horns/trumpets.

So while tuning wise, it isn't the worst TRN I've heard, the big elephant in the room is why does it cost $140ish USD? At that price bracket, accessories and scary looking graph aside, it doesn't bring much to the table to deserve this price, compared to some offerings in that price range eg TRI I3, ISN H40, Fiio FH3, ThieAudio Legacy stuff, Audiosense DT200. If it were in the $50 - 100 range, that would be more palatable. I can't recommend this set at full price, maybe wait for sales or a price drop (they usually drop in price a few months from launch). Or perhaps the cynical me thinks a "pro" version or sidegrade/marginal upgrade will come out soon in a few weeks' time, as per the usual KZ behaviour.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #2,393 of 3,805
every chifi company need to stop using mesh cloth as a damper. They made bass bloated and changes the sound too much. Foam / sponge damper or rolled cotton works better. Or at least give holes in the middle or sides. Don't block entire surface

Thanks for the useful tip, I didn't even think there was another mesh. I used a piece of micropore cloth (from screen protector on the new laptop) instead and the V90 sounds better right away. Before, I felt that the trebles were a little overlapped by the upper mids. Cymbals finally sound more natural and the V90's are no longer so shouty to me. Strange, the FR curve hasn't changed much, only the peaks have smoothed a bit, but the V90 now sounds completely different, more detailed and clearer then before.

I did the same basic modification, but I also added a little bit of earbud foam cover material in the nozzle to help tame the upper mids. It's been perfect, haven't had any instances where moisture caused the volume to decrease and it still sounds great.

I am considering modding my v90s at the moment. I'd really enjoy them a lot more with less recessed mids and a more natural sounding treble. Do you guys have pictures to show an example of where you're putting the foam/cotton/mesh? How is it applied?

Does moisture become an issue without the filter?

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #2,394 of 3,805
I am considering modding my v90s at the moment. I'd really enjoy them a lot more with less recessed mids and a more natural sounding treble. Do you guys have pictures to show an example of where you're putting the foam/cotton/mesh? How is it applied?

Does moisture become an issue without the filter?

you can take a look on BLON thread for mod pics, basically foam is placed inside the nozzle but dont block entire nozzle, and use soft density sponge.

moisture is better without the filter. Filter behind the grill without gap made the hole too tight, built up moisture will block air flow, when entire surface is blocked, the sound quality will be reduced / lower also in volume

Sep 25, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #2,395 of 3,805
Hi here is a small review on the TRN STM: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-stm.24515/reviews

It has 3 tuning filters that ain't gimmicks, and is actually quite good for the $20ish price. Can be hot in the upper mids/treble for some tuning filters, and the typical BA timbre is present, but otherwise, I actually like it more than the more expensive TRN BA8 and TRN VX in tonality (these other 2 sets have much better technicalities, but were a bit too hot in the upper mids for me personally).

frontis-800x445.jpg

Sep 25, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #2,396 of 3,805
Ca16 is, at my opinion, the worst buy to do
( All I have is sample (95% )

Trn x6 is bass lack iem, but other are ok
V80 weird tuning. I appreciate ba5 which are very good !
While X6 tuning is very unorthodox, I have the least problem with it; my problems were with jumping stock tips and uneven wobbly connectors right out of the box, and TRN not giving a darn about it.

Now KZ ASX will make BA8 totally out of place.

Sep 26, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #2,397 of 3,805
Here's a Russian review of the BA8 with a new graph.
ba8 graph.jpg

"And, in my opinion, TRN BA8 are on a par with headphones for $ 200-300, significantly bypassing all budget hits. Great model."

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #2,398 of 3,805
My Trn BT20S PRO is defective. Left module seems broken...

IMG20200927033451.jpg

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #2,399 of 3,805
My Trn BT20S PRO is defective. Left module seems broken...

IMG20200927033451.jpg

Sigh, that's the issue with TRN, that's why I decided to wait first before purchasing this TRN BT20S Pro. I got played out by the TRN BT20 and TRN BT20S (non pro) previously, they died a few months after purchase.

I hope u can contact and exchange your set!

Sep 26, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #2,400 of 3,805
Sigh, that's the issue with TRN, that's why I decided to wait first before purchasing this TRN BT20S Pro. I got played out by the TRN BT20 and TRN BT20S (non pro) previously, they died a few months after purchase.

I hope u can contact and exchange your set!

It's a sample for review. So it's not the problem... But QC TRN it is

Fortunately the TRN BA8 is very good !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back