TRN impressions thread
Oct 9, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #1,216 of 3,805
Hiss has to do with a high sensitivity in IEMs in general.
I asked in the sound science forum and this was their general consensus: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/is-...y-more-influential-in-hiss-for-an-iem.915705/
I think their opinion is correct, as the hiss I have are generally in the IEMs with highest sensitivity. Maybe a very low impedance might also affect to some extent, but it is mostly sensitivity that determines the hiss.

Just for comparisons, sensitivity of the IEMs u asked about are:
KZ ZSA: 101 dB
TRN V90: 110 dB
TRN V80L 108 dB
(I have not converted the sensitivity using the calculator in the above link yet, but these are ballpark figures from the specs sheet of the above IEMs).

I have a feeling the TRN V90 might hiss a bit too based on the above numbers, maybe someone who has the V90 with BT20/20s can confirm.
I do use my BT20 with hissing IEMs and once music starts playing, I don't really notice the hiss anymore, but I did read that the V80 is quite bad with the hiss on the BT20 for some reason.

If u are connecting a hissing IEM to the BT20 or BT20s I don't think much can be done to fix the hissing if it is highly sensitive. But if u are plugging these sensitive hissing IEMs to desktop or smartphone, the hiss can be attenuated by using an amp, an inline volume controller or an impedance mismatch device.

Thanks for the reply. I am just bummed that the v80 and potentially v90 wont work with the bt20s, I have been using them with the kz zsa all day and really like them, they have a great sound and really long battery life.

The v80 doesnt hiss much at all on the bt10 or wired (well not much)m it is REALLY bad with the bt20s. IT is like a white noise generator and you cnat really hear anything else.

Oct 10, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #1,217 of 3,805
I received a few days ago both TRN V90 and BT20, and I couldn't notice personaly any hiss pairing these IEMS to the TWS module. By the way, I've read on Head-Fi forum previously that BT20 makes less hiss maybe than BT20s with a different chipset. I don't own this BT20s so I can't compare directly.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #1,218 of 3,805
I received a few days ago both TRN V90 and BT20, and I couldn't notice personaly any hiss pairing these IEMS to the TWS module. By the way, I've read on Head-Fi forum previously that BT20 makes less hiss maybe than BT20s with a different chipset. I don't own this BT20s so I can't compare directly.

Yeah, the issue is the BT20S does have a higher noise floor than the BT20 (non-S). It has been noted by HeadFiers that own both. The S is more powerful though, hence the higher noise floor.

That’s why I’ve just kept my BT20 (non-S) and haven’t upgraded to the S.

Oct 10, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #1,220 of 3,805
Yeah, the issue is the BT20S does have a higher noise floor than the BT20 (non-S). It has been noted by HeadFiers that own both. The S is more powerful though, hence the higher noise floor.

For those with older sources (like my old samsung note 4) going to the BT20S did improve sq, as my phones software would not use AAC. There is an audible (to me) difference going from SBC to APT-X.

Plus the BT20S has enough juice to drive the 150ohm Earbuds I made.

Oct 11, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #1,221 of 3,805

the difference is like switching the gain stage on an amp/DAC one step up. low gain would always be cleaner, but the high gain (while slightly add distortion) has a bit of bite to the sound. it's like clean guitar amp, and another with a Bluesbreaker overdrive before the amp (sorry, as a guitar player, this is the best analogy i can think of)

so for instance with the Blon, the BT20 can raise the volume just fine, and cleanly at that (no hiss), but with the BT20S, there is a really teeny tiny hiss added, but the overall sound just opens up, becomes more dynamic and exciting. there is also instances like the DM6 that is just unusable for me personally with the BT20S

Oct 11, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #1,222 of 3,805
the difference is like switching the gain stage on an amp/DAC one step up. low gain would always be cleaner, but the high gain (while slightly add distortion) has a bit of bite to the sound. it's like clean guitar amp, and another with a Bluesbreaker overdrive before the amp (sorry, as a guitar player, this is the best analogy i can think of)

so for instance with the Blon, the BT20 can raise the volume just fine, and cleanly at that (no hiss), but with the BT20S, there is a really teeny tiny hiss added, but the overall sound just opens up, becomes more dynamic and exciting. there is also instances like the DM6 that is just unusable for me personally with the BT20S

In other words, if you have IEM with high sensitivity, you better use BT20 and if you want to drive big impedance with low sensitivity, better go with BT20s, as long as your source can use AAC, if not the SBS vs APTX coded will be on consideration too.

Oct 11, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #1,223 of 3,805
In other words, if you have IEM with high sensitivity, you better use BT20 and if you want to drive big impedance with low sensitivity, better go with BT20s, as long as your source can use AAC, if not the SBS vs APTX coded will be on consideration too.

yes, you're right :ksc75smile:

Oct 14, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #1,227 of 3,805
Hi Sir,

What do you suggest for use with Bt20s with min or no hiss

Thanks

depends on your budget and your preference signature, look for low sensitivity.

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:43 AM Post #1,229 of 3,805
Just received the TRN H2.

They advertise them as basshead earphones, and I was expecting overwhelming bass but was pleasantly surprised, there's bass but it doesn't drown the rest of the frequencies. Fit is also really good.

Can't compare them to other TRN earphones as the last ones I had were IM1 six months ago. (Then the faceplates came off on one earphone, tried to glue it back and it became a mess, threw them in the trash..)

Btw.. anyone ordered the TRN T200? Anyone received it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back