TRN impressions thread
Sep 12, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #1,006 of 3,805
Since I deleted this post as I was doubling up, I fill the gap and give you some insight in the interest in the V90 related articles on the audioreviews blog...main numbers are from Asia and Europe.

Analytics-2.jpg

I am glad that so far everybody appears to have liked it...which gives credibility to both reviewer and tuner. Next step will that that that tuner and I will tune a brand new earphone together...between Singapore and Canada. It will be a limited edition of 1000 pairs aiming to the Western ear. The Asian signature favours an elevated upper midrange which is perceived as harsh and piercing to the rest of us. Details are not known but it may as well be a single dynamic driver.

Needless to say that we do this without getting paid...after all, it is a hobby.

Stay "tuned".

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,007 of 3,805
I think the TRN V90 is a bit unlucky in that it released in a month where there were like other hype train CHIFI releases like the BQEYZ Spring 1, CCA C12, KZ terminator.
They all seem to be getting rave reviews too.
I wonder how the TRN V90 compares to the BQEYZ Spring 1 though (if anybody has both to compare?). I hope to get one of these 2 during 11/11.
The TRN V90 are a $50 earphone, the Spring 1 sit at $140...apples and oranges.

Sep 12, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,008 of 3,805
The TRN V90 are a $50 earphone, the Spring 1 sit at $140...apples and oranges.

Yeah but paradoxically in the audio industry, cheaper price doesn't necessarily equate to lousier quality and vice versa.
For all we know, maybe the V90 tiger can stand on its own against the Spring 1.

Anyway, I read from another thread that if u PM the seller on Aliexpress, they give a 20 dollar off the Spring 1. Still it is way more expensive than the V90 though as u say.
Will u by any chance be reviewing the Spring 1?

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #1,009 of 3,805
Yeah but paradoxically in the audio industry, cheaper price doesn't necessarily equate to lousier quality and vice versa.
For all we know, maybe the V90 tiger can stand on its own against the Spring 1.

Anyway, I read from another thread that if u PM the seller on Aliexpress, they give a 20 dollar off the Spring 1. Still it is way more expensive than the V90 though as u say.
Will u by any chance be reviewing the Spring 1?
Yes!

And that's presently the only one on the agenda once I am done with the Blon BL-03 (a steal at $28), Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 (run fast to get this one, it is a unique opportunity limited to 665 pairs...endgame single DD, seriously), and the AME Custom Argent Hybrid Electrostatic....oh I forgot the KBEAR hi7...today, we added the TRI I4...

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #1,010 of 3,805
Yes!

And that's presently the only one on the agenda once I am done with the Blon BL-03 (a steal at $28), Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 (run fast to get this one, it is a unique opportunity limited to 665 pairs...endgame single DD, seriously), and the AME Custom Argent Hybrid Electrostatic....oh I forgot the KBEAR hi7...today, we added the TRI I4...

Nice, I look forward to your reviews as always.

I actually like the Drop JVC HA FDX1 a lot from your initial impressions, but I'm a bit worried that it will lack bass (I'm a bit of a basshead).
And since u think the Blon BL-03 is not too far off in sound quality from the HA FDX1, I'm wondering if it is worth the almost 10x price difference for a slight improvement. No doubt HA FDX1 looks better quality in terms of build and tuning from FR and it has customizable filters.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #1,011 of 3,805
Nice, I look forward to your reviews as always.

I actually like the Drop JVC HA FDX1 a lot from your initial impressions, but I'm a bit worried that it will lack bass (I'm a bit of a basshead).
And since u think the Blon BL-03 is not too far off in sound quality from the HA FDX1, I'm wondering if it is worth the almost 10x price difference for a slight improvement. No doubt HA FDX1 looks better quality in terms of build and tuning from FR and it has customizable filters.
I didn't come up with the idea that the JVCs are excellent...that has long been smouldering on another forum...for probably 2 years. Bass is massive but not overpowering. The JVCs excel in their timbre and work particularly well with naturally produced sounds such as classical or jazz. If you look into electronic music, they won't play out their advantage. After all, they are a single DD earphone with all its limitations.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/drop-jvc-ha-fdx1-dual-carbon-iem-available-in-the-us.912737/

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,012 of 3,805
... Next step will that that that tuner and I will tune a brand new earphone together...between Singapore and Canada. It will be a limited edition of 1000 pairs aiming to the Western ear. The Asian signature favours an elevated upper midrange which is perceived as harsh and piercing to the rest of us. Details are not known but it may as well be a single dynamic driver.

Needless to say that we do this without getting paid...after all, it is a hobby.

Stay "tuned".

I would be content with TRN "borrowing" the ZS6 and put some filter tubes on the BAs

Sep 12, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #1,013 of 3,805
Since I deleted this post as I was doubling up, I fill the gap and give you some insight in the interest in the V90 related articles on the audioreviews blog...main numbers are from Asia and Europe.

I am glad that so far everybody appears to have liked it...which gives credibility to both reviewer and tuner. Next step will that that that tuner and I will tune a brand new earphone together...between Singapore and Canada. It will be a limited edition of 1000 pairs aiming to the Western ear. The Asian signature favours an elevated upper midrange which is perceived as harsh and piercing to the rest of us. Details are not known but it may as well be a single dynamic driver.

Stay "tuned".
Canadian.jpg

A little Canadian flavour. PSB, NAD, Clarity One, and the bottom three from Red Giant.

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #1,015 of 3,805
I FINALLY got my hands on my V90 (well, it actually arrived Monday but I was elsewhere for work), and first impressions are pretty positive.

First thing I noticed (paired with the BT3S) was just how much the soundstage felt more spacious compared to the V80. Mind you, this is with my to-go Hybrids as the shallower insertion of the V90 didn't play as nicely with the AT Solid Bass tips. But the difference was clear enough to my (admittedly amateur) ears, and possibly the illusion of additional space was due to the fact that the V90 also feels a tad less... well... congested?

Even more surprising was that the V90 - unlike the V80 - didn't seem to hiss AT ALL with the BT3S (which already had reduced, though still noticeable hiss with the V80 compared to the BT3).

And yes, they do seem noticeably less treble-happy than the 80s. About just enough to take the edge off without sounding veiled or anything... Kinda obvious after the FR graphs but it's interesting to experience firsthand nonetheless.

For now, those are the things that immediately came to mind upon initial auditioning. For everything else, I'll probably let them stew in my canals for a bit longer first.

For a slightly off tangent addition, for some reason or another, my BT3S seems to have stopped auto-connecting to the OnePlus 6 I have it paired with. I'm really not sure what's going on as it had been auto-connecting fine upon being turned on in the weeks prior. Now, I need to turn my phone Bluetooth on and off for it to auto-connect... which is weird.

Not sure where I put the manual either so I can't figure out if there's a way to reset the thing if it indeed is the BT3S' fault.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #1,017 of 3,805
I was expecting the HiFi Walkers today, but not the TRN order. The tracking from China leaves a lot to be desired, of late.

Hifi Walker. There’s a name I haven’t heard in a while!

I have a couple of the A7, scooped up back when they were super cheap on Amazon.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,018 of 3,805
I look at it like this.

I go to a restaurant with my friend. I’m going to treat him to lunch. We each order an angus steak burger, and I’m paying for both burgers.

Here’s my friend’s steak burger:

Other than not having any trimmings, it looks good eh? Juicy, tasty, mmmm. Just what I would expect from a steak burger. It looks and tastes like a steak burger, because it IS a steak burger. And the steak burger patty is comparable in size and cost to other competitor’s steak burgers.

Now here’s mine:

Hmmm, something isn’t right. Yes, it IS technically a steak burger. It’s made with the same chopped steak. It’s juicy and tasty. I guess technically it’s “alright”, with “no errors” (that I can taste anyways). But, ummm it’s kind of a big let down. It’s 1/4 the size of the other steak burger. And compared to competitors’ steak burgers, it does not represent good value for my money. I expect the 2nd burger to be just like the 1st burger, especially since I’m paying for both.

Personally, I would not be happy with the 2nd steak burger, and I would never go back to that restaurant. But, I’m sure for some other people the 2nd rinky dink steak burger I got would be “good enough” and “alright”.

Now imagine the steak burger patties are the copper conductors inside a cable, and the buns are the wire insulation:

Sure, they are both “alright”, but which one would YOU rather have? I certainly can’t speak for everyone, but I’d want both wire conductors to be like the 1st steak burger.

And before someone points out that cables are not steak burgers, and the rules are somehow different for burgers and cables. To those people I would say ‘are they really different?’ Why is it OK to get gypped on a steak burger but not a cable?
Now in on my way to burger king. Because of you.

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #1,020 of 3,805
How does the TRN V90 compare to your other KZ/CCAs??
They’re in the same league as the C12 and ZSX however I feel the V90 is a touch better than both. I haven’t compared them to anything directly except for CA4 which definitely is surpassed. And of course the BGVP DMG which I believe the V90 is a little better. The mids aren’t as recessed on the V90 and the bass is a touch bigger in a good way. The price /performance bar has been raised that’s for sure.

Can anyone confirm that the TRN Black/Yellow cable is as good as the NiceHCK 8 core cable? I have tons of those but the connector protrudes vs the TRN which is flush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back