TRN impressions thread
Nov 1, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #3,781 of 3,805
Heads up!

I just checked AliExpress to see when the TRN MT4 Pro is supposed to arrive and noticed that the listing now shows pictures showing it only comes with Medium T tip (not the full set) and no foam tips...

Sadly, KZ is not the only Chifi brand doing the bait and switch...
TRN MT3 and MT4 were the same, only the medium T-tips included. They are a little small like the Moonddrop Spring tips. So buying a pack of the large size didn't help either! :triportsad:

Nov 1, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #3,782 of 3,805
I got my TA4 about a month ago.
I tried it and found out the difference between TA3 and TA4. I'll talk later.
TA3 and TA4 are probably my favorite IEMs from the TRN brand, although their technical features can't compete with many BAs driver models.
I like the timbre and vocal when comparing budget IEMs, some models from other brands have 1DD+1BA, 1DD+2BAs, even 1DD+3BAs. :smile:

1.jpg

Nov 1, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #3,783 of 3,805
TRN MT3 and MT4 were the same, only the medium T-tips included. They are a little small like the Moonddrop Spring tips. So buying a pack of the large size didn't help either! :triportsad:
I received the 3 pair large T tips set last week and they worked well with the small nozzle KZ iems. Went to order more and saw that the MT4 pro came with the SML set placed the order.

The T tips didn't work well for me with the short nozzle iems like the Truthear hola. Wanted to try the S-M tips with other sets, because I got the impression that medium T tips could work with a couple other iems.

In any case, this is a shady practice... When I checked yesterday there were still sellers with the original picture in their listing. There are going to be quite a few people mad about this.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #3,784 of 3,805
I got my TA4 about a month ago.
I tried it and found out the difference between TA3 and TA4. I'll talk later.
TA3 and TA4 are probably my favorite IEMs from the TRN brand, although their technical features can't compete with many BAs driver models.
I like the timbre and vocal when comparing budget IEMs, some models from other brands have 1DD+1BA, 1DD+2BAs, even 1DD+3BAs. :smile:

finally TRN made a great sound tuning. But difference between TA3/TA4 not so big, but TA4 a bit better, IMHO fcrs :)

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #3,785 of 3,805
2.1.jpg

Bass
TRN TA4 better bass control than TRN TA3.
TRN TA3 has bloomy in some tracks.
TRN TA4 has tighter, deeper and slightly better rumble than TRN TA3.
Good impact and intensity , makes it feel more realistic.
TRN TA4 is clearer, cleaner, tighter and a little quicker. There's no bloominess like TRN TA3.

Mids
TRN TA4 has instruments and vocals little clearer than TRN TA3.
Lively, breezy and emotional.
TRN TA4 has slightly drier vocals than TRN TA3.
But TRN TA4 has smoother vocals than TRN TA3 because TRN TA3 has a nasal sound.
TRN TA3 is slightly juicier and has slightly thicker texture. That makes vocals a bit clearer in level of contrast.
Both have intimate vocals and lush.

Treble
TRN TA4 reduces aggression and harshness in TRN TA3.
TRN TA4 has more airiness than TRN TA3 that makes it feel more smoother and better control.
It feels like the brightness has decreased slightly but it doesn't reduce the sparkle.

Technical & Soundstage & Imaging
TRN TA4 is wider than TRN TA3 and more airiness than TRN TA3.
TRN TA4 has separation instruments better than TRN TA3 and better imaging.
TRN TA4 is easier to listen to and more comfortable to listen to.
Both have average resolution and detail retrieval from budget IEMs.

Overall, TRN TA4 has slightly better technique than TRN TA3, maybe around 10%.
Some people think TRN TA3 is warmer, it will be more musical. I think it's not the only deciding factor.

If you're satisfied with TRN TA3's vocals and don't mind bloomy bass and sibilance on some tracks, stay with TRN TA3.
But if you don't have TRN TA3 yet, go for TRN TA4 for better techniques and clarity.

TRN TA4 and TRN TA3 has natural vocals and timbre comes from DD which is a perceptible charm and
separates it from DD Bass.

What I would like to say to IEMs brand is I think the first thing to consider is the timbre and vocals, not tonal balance.
What's often found is timbre and vocals that come with metallic and plasticky from BAs Drivers.
Or even when using DD Driver, it comes out unnatural.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #3,786 of 3,805
mt4 pro arrived. turns out it's a trn x hbb collab.
20231107_105028.jpg

Nov 7, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #3,788 of 3,805
mt4 pro arrived. turns out it's a trn x hbb collab.
20231107_105028.jpg

Same as KZ Zex Pro release, they didn't label that as a colab until after it's initial release. Or the 7Hz Salnotes Zero, where they never labelled it as having been tuned by Crin. Really funny as the Truthear Zero was released around the same time and extensively marketed as a Crinacle collaboration. :thinking:

Nov 7, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #3,789 of 3,805
Strange, why would they not mention it being a colab even after its release?

Did it come with a full set of t tips and foam tips?

First impressions?

Mine should be here next week...
there are two full sets of cheap silicones and one pair of t tips in m; no foam. didn't know about hbb collab when buying, but don't care either way. yes, surprisingly it wasn't marketed. maybe they are beefing, like kz and crinacle. anyhow, i guess it was semi-interesting to see as i haven't tried hbb tuned iem yet. it's decently built with a metal back plate. staging is very good as vocals are decently lifted from the mix and there's noticeable separation between sounds coming from different frequencies. accurate imaging that's well spread out spatially. resolution is low. texturization is decent. there's mid bass hump (i guess this is where hbb tuning is highlighted) that gives a good punch. i typically prefer sub bass focused low end tonality. bass, with longer note decay, is slower than rest of frequency range. it bleeds into lower mids which are congested. i guess this is where the crossover is placed. male vocals sound hollow. mids are generally open. there's annoying peak in high mids that ruins most of the tracks i've heard so far, except female vocal-leading tracks which sound pretty good. treble is decently extended but it's mostly masked by high mids peak (just like sub bass is masked by mid bass hump). i guess mt4 pro is another trn disappointment for me. still to this day trying to figure how to enjoy my x7 and emx.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #3,790 of 3,805
Thanks. It's intresting how people prefer different things... Judging from what you said, I think I will like this set. :)

I also have the X7 and without EQ it doesn't work well with most of my library. With Wavelet's auto EQ acoustic music work ok-ish. It's the set I hope to upgrade this month.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #3,792 of 3,805
there are two full sets of cheap silicones and one pair of t tips in m; no foam. didn't know about hbb collab when buying, but don't care either way. yes, surprisingly it wasn't marketed. maybe they are beefing, like kz and crinacle. anyhow, i guess it was semi-interesting to see as i haven't tried hbb tuned iem yet. it's decently built with a metal back plate. staging is very good as vocals are decently lifted from the mix and there's noticeable separation between sounds coming from different frequencies. accurate imaging that's well spread out spatially. resolution is low. texturization is decent. there's mid bass hump (i guess this is where hbb tuning is highlighted) that gives a good punch. i typically prefer sub bass focused low end tonality. bass, with longer note decay, is slower than rest of frequency range. it bleeds into lower mids which are congested. i guess this is where the crossover is placed. male vocals sound hollow. mids are generally open. there's annoying peak in high mids that ruins most of the tracks i've heard so far, except female vocal-leading tracks which sound pretty good. treble is decently extended but it's mostly masked by high mids peak (just like sub bass is masked by mid bass hump). i guess mt4 pro is another trn disappointment for me. still to this day trying to figure how to enjoy my x7 and emx.

Hollow male vocals and peaky upper mids cheers me up no end!

I had it sitting in my cart for a while and had been kicking myself at missing the introductory pricing. :ksc75smile:

Nov 7, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #3,793 of 3,805
Hollow male vocals and peaky upper mids cheers me up no end!

I had it sitting in my cart for a while and had been kicking myself at missing the introductory pricing. :ksc75smile:
exactly how they got me....

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #3,795 of 3,805
I received the MT4 Pro some days ago.
Had some fit problems that are solved using foam tips.
They're good for the price. Very musical, no peaks, and good separation. The bass is great with Xbass+ on the iFi Air Zen Dac. Using a Marantz desktop amp I don't need any boost on the bass, so the source impacts the sound a bit. It realy scales and opens up the sound.
They're less technical than the Krila, but they're fun and musical. €15? Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back