TRN impressions thread
Aug 15, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #3,391 of 3,805
So where are your measurements and concrete data showing otherwise? You can say "graphs aren't everything" until you're blue in the face, but you have nothing measureable to back your subjective claim up.

I provided the exact repeatable method to reproduce a tuning/correction. You liking it or not is subjective, and that is where many of your misunderstandings lie.
I actually mentioned one of the limitations of graphs above already. Despite the TA1 MAX and ST5 having similar graphs, their bass don't sound the same with that of the TA1 MAX having more rumble. When you understand there are so much limitations using the graphs as reference you will talk less with graphs to support your also subjective opinions.

What do you mean by repeatable? So two sets with vastly different tunings will sound the same after EQ you mean?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #3,392 of 3,805
Yes, I'm glad you realized that even correcting toward a Harman curve can't save it. Thanks for confirming.

Since you decided to go the defensive route, I'll say again, anyone even remotely interested in the BAX, just don't. Save your money. Same goes for the Kirin as well. It's an equally disappointing Muse Power in a different package.

For those who won't say this since you got your pair free for review and don't want to jeopardize future freebies, I will gladly say it for you.
I finally decided to open up my BAX after being unable to sell it and I’ve honestly been quite happy with it. Third favorite IEM after my S12 and Campfire Holocene.

It honestly doesn’t sound like hot garbage to me

Aug 15, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #3,393 of 3,805
So where are your measurements and concrete data showing otherwise? You can say "graphs aren't everything" until you're blue in the face, but you have nothing measureable to back your subjective claim up.

I provided the exact repeatable method to reproduce a tuning/correction. You liking it or not is subjective, and that is where many of your misunderstandings lie.

"I think you are too fooled by all these graphs that Crinacles talk all the time. There is a lot of misunderstanding in his knowledges and so yours. Graphs are simply not enough to tell the sounds. It's a very round representation of the intensity only. Not as if you can read the musicality from graphs."

That is a word salad of nonsense that cannot be backed up in any objective way.
Graphs tools exist only because they are easy to understand. I am not going to do a PhD paper on how we precept sound and the meaning of musicality to us human. It's all (or mostly) measurable, but it will be very complicated to represent graphically as we do not have the ability to read sound. If you can't understand the limitations of these tools, you will continue to treat these overly simplified tools as the holy grail.

Aug 15, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #3,394 of 3,805
I actually mentioned one of the limitations of graphs above already. Despite the TA1 MAX and ST5 having similar graphs, their bass don't sound the same with that of the TA1 MAX having more rumble. When you understand there are so much limitations using the graphs as reference you will talk less with graphs to support your also subjection opinions.

What do you mean by repeatable? So two sets with vastly different tunings will sound the same after EQ you mean?
You need to learn the difference between an objective measurement and an algorithm generated setting pulled from data vs. a subjective opinion.

My opinion can be both subjective, and based on objective measurements and data points. You thinking that's a bad thing, that graphs aren't everything so it's ok to negate my opinion, and then call an AutoEQ garbage because "musicality" is also your subjective opinion.

Notice I didn't say anything about your personal opinion, just the BAX itself, yet you called "my EQ" garbage and sarcastically called out my "golden ears" for voicing my opinion. You deserve any and all backlash for the personal attacks.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #3,395 of 3,805
You need to learn the difference between an objective measurement and an algorithm generated setting pulled from data vs. a subjective opinion.

My opinion can be both subjective, and based on objective measurements and data points. You thinking that's a bad thing, that graphs aren't everything so it's ok to negate mine and call an AutoEQ garbage because "musicality" is also your subjective opinion.

Notice I didn't say anything about your personal opinion, just the BAX itself, yet you called "my EQ" garbage and sarcastically called out my "golden ears" for voicing my opinion. You deserve any and all backlash for that.
Well this is my logic:

1. A few guys, including myself find the BAX good or great, or at least not garbage
2. You call it hot garbage
3. So our preference of sound is hot garbage by your definition or preference

You are assuming a lot of people here received free sets from TRN to promote their garbage tuning and that assumption makes you a bit angry I can see and you called it a hype (likely you assumed the "hype" is paid). I apologize for using the term "golden ears" here as I was a bit over-reacted but it's really bad to assume people lie about their impressions just because you have an opposite preference.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #3,400 of 3,805
After listening to the ST5 for a day I would say it's a more versatile and refined version of the TA1 MAX. There is a bit of sluggishness in the lower mids of the MAX which makes it not suitable for choir music (but it still plays 90% of the tracks in my library very well). The MAX is more fun due to the more "unnatural" tuning but the ST5 is more accurate or faster. I hear a little bit of sharpness in the treble occasionaly with the ST5 and I think that will be smoothen out after burn-in.

Aug 15, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #3,401 of 3,805
After listening to the ST5 for a day I would say it's a more versatile and refined version of the TA1 MAX. There is a bit of sluggishness in the lower mids of the MAX which makes it not suitable for choir music (but it still plays 90% of the tracks in my library very well). The MAX is more fun due to the more "unnatural" tuning but the ST5 is more accurate or faster. I hear a little bit of sharpness in the treble occasionaly with the ST5 and I think that will be smoothen out after burn-in.
Thank you man. Good to hear. I really enjoyed the TA1 Max. In fact I do enjoy the TA1 Max... Lol. I may have to pick up the ST5 soon. Thanks man

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #3,402 of 3,805
My ST5 left China just now!
Interesting reads so far in this thread. Personally I have only heard the MAX and BAX, and really like them. Looking forward to the ST5!

Aug 15, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #3,403 of 3,805
After owning the BAX and the Kirin for awhile, I can safely say they are both hot garbage without extensive correction, and even then I wouldn't consider either one good. I was fooled by the few glowing reviews, and then more BAX reviews started coming out noting how completely "off" they sound, which is exactly how I hear them. It took crinacle ~5 min to confirm they are meh at best.

If it wasn't for the TA1 MAX, I would have completely written off TRN for good at this point.

Please stop hyping the BAX and saying it's a value. It would be if it had a coherent tuning, but sadly it does not. There's a reason they aren't charging $400-500 for it based on the specs, and I would burn it in the trash if I was duped at that price point.
Lol you say the Kirin is hot garbage? Compared to what? What in specific is hot garbage lol?

Are you just going by someone else's made up bias?

I say the Kirin in on the level of much higher priced iems, theres nothing that has this kind of technical ability at this price point that I've heard.

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #3,404 of 3,805
Lol you say the Kirin is hot garbage? Compared to what? What in specific is hot garbage lol?

Are you just going by someone else's made up bias?

I say the Kirin in on the level of much higher priced iems, theres nothing that has this kind of technical ability at this price point that I've heard.
Compared to the Timeless. To me, I find it better in almost every way for a little bit more when on sale, especially after correction. Haven't heard the Dioko. The fact that the Kirin measures so closely to the Muse Power suggests the same driver was used there, and there were many critical reviews on that IEM. I heard why. The tuning doesn't sit anywhere near a Harman curve or my preferences. It's nearly unlistenable stock.

I'm glad you like them and enjoy them. I do not. I sold mine and someone else can enjoy them.
If it's ok to "hype" a product, it should then also be ok to be critical of it. Harsh or not, it doesn't matter.

So now there's "made up bias" for my own opinion on a product I owned, listened to, and gave multiple A/B tests and tweaks to in trying to get the best of it?

You say "the Kirin in on the level of much higher priced iems, theres nothing that has this kind of technical ability at this price point that I've heard."

I say, not even close in technicalities and it's garbage. Look at how it measures and see if you want to find that sound out for yourself, or save the money.

There's no definitive right or wrong in either opinion, but when met with derision, I'm only going to dig deeper and double down.

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #3,405 of 3,805
FWIW: A ubiquitous reviewer who bashed TRN in the past gave good marks to the VX PRO, mentioning how it adhered to tuning according to the Harman Curve. As I already owned the IEM and enjoyed it, primarily on the go, this technical approbation was meaningless, despite the validation from an audiophile.

I found the TRN BA8 to be a jumble and the BA15 to be workable only run through a DAC with the caveat of excelling with one specific source material where the detail shone.

I like the BAX coupled with one DAP and find the Kirin lackluster, despite the visual aesthetic.

Citing the decrees of Crinacle, who’s positioned himself as a brand with all the admonitions that entails, falls on deaf ears as far as my personal biases. To me, it’s akin to wine snobbery when a seasoned taster takes one sip… then chastises anyone who would dare like unaged Bordeaux over some high-end red.

Telling anyone they’re wrong for their preferences and trying to convince them otherwise is a Sisyphean task and waste of time. As a connoisseur said about art: “I know what I like.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back