TRN impressions thread
Jun 13, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #317 of 3,806
Does anyone know where I can get male and female 2-pin 0.75mm connectors? Want to make an adapter to get mine to fit better...

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #318 of 3,806
Does anyone know where I can get male and female 2-pin 0.75mm connectors? Want to make an adapter to get mine to fit better...

Aliexpress has loads of different types.

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #319 of 3,806
Aliexpress has loads of different types.

I couldn't find anything cheaper than $10-$15 for a pair of female connectors.... Shouldn't these cost pennies?

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #321 of 3,806
Those who already ordered TRN IM2, I have these suggested EQ settings (I use Neutron Music Player for Android), which makes it closer to my intended tuning.

31.25 Hz, Q: 0.80, Gain: -4.50 dB
62.5 Hz, BW: 2.80, Gain: -2.50 dB
125 Hz, BW: 3.0, Gain: -1.50 dB

6,800 Hz, BW: 0.75, Gain: -3.0 dB
Is there any chance you could interpret these EQ settings for a 10-band equaliser? I tried using them on my xDuoo X3 II, but I'm not sure if I got it right.

Jun 14, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #322 of 3,806
Is there any chance you could interpret these EQ settings for a 10-band equaliser? I tried using them on my xDuoo X3 II, but I'm not sure if I got it right.

Those EQ settings are for Neutron Music Player app on Android. Too bad your xDuoo X3II isn't an Android-based player. I don't use xDuoo, so I can't really guide you. The closest thing I have to the X3II is my FiiO M3K which I use for commuting. That little DAP doesn't have fantastic EQ feature.

Jun 14, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #323 of 3,806
Those EQ settings are for Neutron Music Player app on Android. Too bad your xDuoo X3II isn't an Android-based player. I don't use xDuoo, so I can't really guide you. The closest thing I have to the X3II is my FiiO M3K which I use for commuting. That little DAP doesn't have fantastic EQ feature.
Thanks anyway. I'll try to tweak the EQ to my liking based on your input.
My IM2 arrived yesterday. They do sound bass heavy, like you said, which is fine for some types of music. But they surely can't be considered great all-rounders.
Build is impressive thought. The shell seems completely seamless, got a nice smooth feel to it. Shape is great too, fits my ear like a glove. I also like the nozzle a lot, with separate sound tubes for each driver. The design of the IM2 is really something.
If I could trouble you with one more thing @KopiOkaya - can you share the V80 EQ settings that you posted some time ago? I can't seem to find them.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #324 of 3,806
I couldn't find anything cheaper than $10-$15 for a pair of female connectors.... Shouldn't these cost pennies?

If you buy in bulk (like qty 1000 pcs), then yeah they’d probably be about $0.50 each. But that’s true of buying anything in bulk.

What you might be able to do is contact some factories on alibaba (not Aliexpress), and ask them to send you a sample pair for evaluation. You might be able to get a pair for free.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #325 of 3,806
If I could trouble you with one more thing @KopiOkaya - can you share the V80 EQ settings that you posted some time ago? I can't seem to find them.

I only have my prototype V80 with me right now. Like I said before, the prototype sounds very, very different from the production units. Let me find a pair and run some tests. Will let you know soon.

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #326 of 3,806
I don't want to be reminded how screwed-up TRN was (and still is) in regard to the V80. I managed to loan a production piece from a friend. Comparing to my prototype, it is very clear what they did wrong.

Prototype V80 (lime)
Production V80 (red)
TRN V80 prototype vs production units.png

That's why when people told me the V80 was peaky, I was extremely puzzled. I kept fighting back, claiming they ought to have heard wrongly... Until I actually heard one, my heart sank!

@SiggyFraud: As for how to EQ the V80 to sound good, all I can say is a lot of work.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #327 of 3,806
As most of you can see from my FRs of both V80s, majority of the frequencies from 20Hz to 1Khz remain relatively the unchanged, except for minor elevation in the bass region, which probably due to batch differences of the dynamic drivers. It is from 1Khz onward when things go whacko. Probably somebody at TRN (or another beta tester) decided the prototype wasn't bright-sounding enough and decided to max out the treble. Seriously, I wasn't aware of the change. By the time I contacted them, they had already made 2,500 sets with 1,600 sets reserved by distributors and customers.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #328 of 3,806
My impressions of the TRN X6.

When it comes to the X6 I think the first thing that has to be discussed is the Elephant in the room. If you look at TRN’s promotional material it says “Painstakingly-tuned by audio professionals and musicians for the most neutral sound possible”. I am rather cautious about promotional claims but in this case it appears TRN’s intention was to actually make a "Neutral" tuned earphone. It is my understanding that their target was based on the Etymotic ER4SR. I know that a discussion about what is “Neutral” will go around and around and not arrive at any definitive conclusion but I think it is safe to say that many in this hobby think of Etymotic when they think of a “Neutral” earphone and the ER4SR is Etymotic’s “Studio Reference” model. So what is the Elephant in the room, it is the fact that most consumers prefer V shaped tuning or a tuning that reflects the Harman curve over a “Neutral” tuned earphone. The evidence for this is easy to see. Most Chinese earphones have V shaped tuning which is understandable as their profits are based on volume so the majority rules. Are there any other Chinese earphones currently advertising a budget earphone with “Neutral” tuning? If there is I’m not aware of them and if they are advertising it are they actually tuning their earphones towards “Neutral”? So if the majority prefer something other than “Neutral” why would TRN make a “Neutral” earphone? Why because there are some who do like “Neutral” tuning and I believe there is almost no competition for a “Neutral” tuned earphone in the budget market.

So when evaluating the TRN X6 it becomes a 2 step process.

First do you like “Neutral” tuning?

If no, then I would suggest this is not the earphone for you. However you might want to check out the V30, IM1 Pro or IM2.

If yes, then the second step to consider is how does the TRN X6 do with all the other things like clarity, detail retrieval, soundstage etc.

So what do I hear when I listen to the X6.

Sub bass – the X6 presents the listener with very little to no sub bass.

Bass – the X6 is bass light to the degree that most would be unsatisfied with amount of bass presented. The bass that you get is well textured and mid bass focused. The bass does not bleed into the mids.

Mids – in my opinion this is where the X6 really shines. The mids are forward making vocals very clear with both warmth and body. With the X6 being bass light the tendance might be to try to increase bass by increasing volume. If you do with the X6 mids become overdone. With this earphone you must adjust your volume according the mids and the bass is what it is.

Treble – unlike the IM1 Pro that has well extended and very detailed treble, the X6 rolls off earlier and sacrifices some detail for warmth. Where the IM1 Pro’s treble is more analytical the X6’s treble presents the listener with a relaxed treble that is free from sibilance and is not fatiguing.

Soundstage /Instrument separation – to me I find the soundstage of the X6 average. However the relaxed bass does allow the mids and treble lots of room for good instrument separation.

So how did TRN do with their neutral earphone? I wish I had the Etymotic ER4SR to make a direct comparison, it has been on my wish list for a long time, but I haven’t been able justify the cost.

What I do have are the Hifiman RE400, Vivo XE800 and UiiSii Hi905 three earphones that fit into what I classify as neutral.

The Hifiman RE400 give a little more bass, has a cable that I feel is very poor and the treble presentation lacks the smoothness of the X6.

The Vivo XE800 also has a little more bass and is a little brighter in the treble. The build quality of the XE800 comes nowhere near the excellent build of the X6. There are so many fake Vivo XE800s now that you would be taking a gamble as to whether you can get a genuine XE800.

The UiiSii Hi905 has slightly less bass than the X6. Mids and treble have a lighter more airy presentation with a more analytical feel. I prefer the X6 due to the fit, build quality, replaceable cable and fuller bodied mids and treble.

Conclusion

I think TRN were successful in producing a very good “Neutral” tuned earphone for the budget market. Most people given an opportunity to listen the X6 would probably find it unusual especially if they have only experienced V shape tuned earphones. For many big bass is a necessary element for them to enjoy an earphone so the X6 is not for them nor do I believe that it was intended for them. If you are still readying at this point I assume that you have some interest in “Neutral” tuning or believe that the X6 will appeal to your particular taste in tuning. I thank TRN for building an earphone that I find very enjoyable to listen to. I hope others out there that have the X6 and are liking it will make their opinions known. I realized long ago that my tastes in earphones often are not the same as the majority but I hope I am not unique in my enjoyment of the X6.

Jun 16, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #329 of 3,806
@RvTrav: You hit the sweet spot! Like I said before I was disappointed with TRN in the past having screwed-up few of their intended tunings but not the X6. In fact, I am happy to know what they did this round... Reason? Like you said, there is a missing segment in the Chi-Fi market as to what is considered neutral tuning. Again, the term "neutral" can be classified broadly but TRN had a few tuners (myself included) to confirm this. In Mainland China, the X6 is very popular among the singers/songwriters community, and there is a practical reason behind this. It let the artistes hear themselves without the coloured sound.

If you can remember back in the late 70s~80s, there was once a popular mini studio monitor from Yamaha called NS10. This mini-monitor has gained a cult status among recording and mixing engineers for its terribly thin, boosted treble, mid-centric and almost bass-less sound signature. This speaker has a nasty peak around 2kHz and rolls-off at 200Hz. Despite the poor specs and horrible sound, many audio professionals still love them to bits... Why? Because NS10 allows engineers to listen into their mix and tweak it to sound radio-friendly. There was an old saying that if your music sounds good through the NS10, it will sound good through any radio. And yes, the NS10 was one of our tuning references.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #330 of 3,806
TRN BT20S is launched in Mainland China today (17 June). HK SAR launch is delayed due to anti-extradition Bill protest.

O1CN01JlqvsU1mzxAADKMbD_!!2448105026.jpg

BT20 vs BT20S
Glossy surface vs Rubberised surface
Non aptX vs aptX
Third-party chipset vs Qualcomm QCC3020 chipset
Both are Bluetooth 5.0
Non AAC vs AAC
6 hours battery life vs 8 hours battery life
No DSP vs DSP-enabled noise reduction

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back