TRN impressions thread
Jun 18, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #347 of 3,808
hmm... still no volume control on the new BT20S... and twice the price for aptx..

Gotta pay for that more expensive Qualcomm chip.

My advice is if you have an iPhone just get the regular BT20 (since it uses AAC). If you have Android then you would have to bite the bullet and get the BT20S.

Hopefully KZs version will be out soon, and we’ll be able to compare the features and price with TRN.

KZ has used aptX on their other recent Bluetooth cables, so I have no doubt they’ll make sure it’s in their TW product.

Jun 18, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #348 of 3,808
You can't have everything packed into such a small device. Anyway, there is always TWS if these don't suit you. Then again, even the US$180 Jaybird Run XT doesn't come with volume control. So why complain?

if no one complains, then who's gonna encourage the companies to make progress and innovation?

at an added double price, it should have. even the realtek and qualcomm chifi TWS at the same price (and cheaper ones) like the Sabbat and Syllable can implement volume control with that space and single buttons. so answering your question :yes, it can be done at that device's size

I do also have other TWS and the BT20, and i also love it. that's why just adding APTX at double the price seems a lost benefit to me, as AAC and APTX difference in sound is really minimal.

I rather have them stick to just AAC and adding volume control. at that, the double price is justified.

Gotta pay for that more expensive Qualcomm chip.

My advice is if you have an iPhone just get the regular BT20 (since it uses AAC). If you have Android then you would have to bite the bullet and get the BT20S.

Hopefully KZs version will be out soon, and we’ll be able to compare the features and price with TRN.

KZ has used aptX on their other recent Bluetooth cables, so I have no doubt they’ll make sure it’s in their TW product.

syllable can do 30 dollars with charging case, drivers, and volume controls. surely TRN can implement that if they wanted to.

still, 45 usd is not too much for a bluetooth dongle, it's just now I'd say the BT20 is a better deal right now. let's just wait for the KZ version so i can choose which one to buy

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #349 of 3,808
Finally got a reply from them after so many weeks... 106 pF/m nominal.
Thank you.
Quite average value, most cables are said to be 10-50 pF per feet, so the average is around 100 pF/m.

I can concur that it does not make sense to argue if some may hear a difference in sound with different cables...

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #351 of 3,808
@Slater there's a seller on AE that sells the BT20S at 39.20 usd. i think I'd give it a go

Jun 18, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #352 of 3,808
Jun 18, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #353 of 3,808
if no one complains, then who's gonna encourage the companies to make progress and innovation?

Rants, rants, rants and more rants...

Nevermind then, I am too old to argue or to reason with folks like you. Not until you are in this industry, you won't know what goes into pricing these products.

Ming was telling me just yesterday that their profit is merely 15RMB (around US$2) from every set of BT20S they sold.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #354 of 3,808
Thank you.
Quite average value, most cables are said to be 10-50 pF per feet, so the average is around 100 pF/m.

I can concur that it does not make sense to argue if some may hear a difference in sound with different cables...

You do know that capacitance increases with additional cores... Don't you?

Like I said above, I am too old to argue or to reason with folks who think otherwise. I rather keep my sanity and avoid unnecessary blood pressure surge.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #355 of 3,808
You do know that capacitance increases with additional cores... Don't you?

Like I said above, I am too old to argue or to reason with folks who think otherwise. I rather keep my sanity and avoid unnecessary blood pressure surge.
Very generally, yes, but more specifically it depends on conductor separations, right?

I am not arguing - there are no facts to argue, i.e. measurements how capacitance of cables affect the sound.

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #356 of 3,808
Rants, rants, rants and more rants...

Nevermind then, I am too old to argue or to reason with folks like you. Not until you are in this industry, you won't know what goes into pricing these products.

Ming was telling me just yesterday that their profit is merely 15RMB (around US$2) from every set of BT20S they sold.

they also told you BT20 doesn't have AAC.
it turns out it does.
and they're the one who made them.

but hey, I'm just a regular folks that know nothing, other than ranting, right?

the industry people knows everything

obviously

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #357 of 3,808
it turns out it does.

but hey, I'm just a regular folks that know nothing, other than ranting, right?

the industry people knows everything

obviously

I don't blame them. Maybe they really didn't knew the chipset supports AAC. The codec is not mentioned in any of their marketing material. In fact, I learned about it having AAC due to an Amazon review and confirmed it with my phone as it had AAC selected by default.

Jun 18, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #358 of 3,808
it turns out it does.

At least they are willing to listen and make the necessary changes. Not every company is like this. I have probably worked with more than 20 companies in my 35 years career and most of them will not change even though they know they have made mistakes.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #359 of 3,808
I don't blame them. Maybe they really didn't knew the chipset supports AAC. The codec is not mentioned in any of their marketing material. In fact, I learned about it having AAC due to an Amazon review and confirmed it with my phone as it had AAC selected by default.

the thing is, they produce it, they should be the most informed about the specs.
it's like buying a burger and the customers say "wow, there's a pickle inside", and the restaurant just flat out says "no there isn't, well we don't remember putting it inside".

Jun 18, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #360 of 3,808
the thing is, they produce it, they should be the most informed about the specs.
it's like buying a burger and the customers say "wow, there's a pickle inside", and the restaurant just flat out says "no there isn't, well we don't remember putting it inside".

This reminds me of a recent incident happened to our national air carrier. A passenger was allergic to peanuts and he specifically told the airlines this, yet, he was served food tinted with peanuts. He developed a bad reaction and was hospitalised.

Was the airline aware? I am sure they were. Did they know there were peanuts inside the food, maybe not... Because all airline food comes from a central kitchen and they have no idea what is inside the food they serve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back