TRN impressions thread
Apr 9, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #2,971 of 3,807
I also could not resist. I just got the Shuoer S12 a month ago to try planar, now these to try EST. So many affordable options these days featuring drivers that used to have no business being in an EIM.
The BAX is currently $281 shipped to US on Hifi go https://hifigo.com/products/trn-bax?variant=42532062003439
Someone cracked theirs open for some interesting pictures
1649529890082.png

more here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003983288592.html

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #2,972 of 3,807
Sounds best with desktop resolution/power, though only a small difference from DAP use.
76A3669E-EEE5-4FAF-985C-86A63B3F03E0.jpeg

Apr 9, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #2,973 of 3,807
On paper it’s a subtle V. But honestly there are a ton of mids, like really all mids. Lol

I know the above maybe doesn’t make sense? It’s even handed with fun bass at times.

I perceive it as actually mids with a bass bump, with EST treble. It’s slightly hyper in that there is this intensity that maybe 1/100th of the time can actually be too much. I had to search for its issues. The opening theme of Star Wars was too much, due to this brashness. But I never found really any other music that did that. But if someone was a big orchestra listener there may be more of that brashness, but I’m not really an orchestra buff, so I don’t know, just OSTs, Rock and Metal.

Never heard FH3. It’s like an IER-Z1R in that the stage is big, but it doesn’t have the reserved serious detail inside of the instruments, like the IER. But the instrument tone and timbre is perfect, like the IER-Z1R. It’s more vibrant and colorful than the IER-Z1R. Slight sloppiness in comparison to the IER, but a ton of fun. It’s vibrancy has me listening to it all the time.

To answer your question it has less dense bass than the EarSonics ONYX, also less defined bass than that IEM. But the mids are big and clear, so the bass has a presence at times, but still it’s not basshead saturated or anything. It’s like the perfect balance to me, that’s why I thought the magic was FR, but I couldn’t totally put my finger on why it’s so good?

I’m using wide bore tips too, which make the bass less, also the bass faster, as well as the whole signature have wider soundstage and more mids.
Darn lol I may order a pair very soon. The FH3 is like sub bass boosted without bleeding I hope the BAX does the same.

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #2,977 of 3,807
1DCD8BF0-9611-4C24-81D9-FE014F559F14.jpeg

This just in! Exciting really!

Apr 12, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #2,978 of 3,807
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #2,979 of 3,807
Well, I have already received my copy, lol. :smile:Anyway here is the graph:
BAX.PNG

Note the Sub bass is not elevated (I wonder why Delta Fyre's copy is so different, maybe cause it is gifted by TRN so they tuned it differently?) . Channel balance is quite good.
My first impression is it is neutral bright, a bit too bright to my taste, the dynamic of the treble is kind of sacrified to allow the EST to play. Will do some burn-in and a lot of rolling. Hope it will sound wonderful.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #2,980 of 3,807
Well, I have already received my copy, lol. :smile:Anyway here is the graph:

Note the Sub bass is not elevated (I wonder why Delta Fyre's copy is so different, maybe cause it is gifted by TRN so they tuned it differently?) . Channel balance is quite good.
My first impression is it is neutral bright, a bit too bright to my taste, the dynamic of the treble is kind of sacrified to allow the EST to play. Will do some burn-in and a lot of rolling. Hope it will sound wonderful.
I feel the EST drivers smooth out after 50-60 hours and become integrated into the stage. Where they are a little bright and grainy at the start. So for me burn-in was a big deal, and two fold, being it affected the bass smoothness and treble smoothness? Also the whole presence thing changed as the sound seemed to grow into the stage, becoming way bigger. I know this sounds odd, and may be partially mental burn-in?

But I use them with DUNU Blue wide bore silicone tips?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #2,981 of 3,807
I feel the EST drivers smooth out after 50-60 hours and become integrated into the stage. Where they are a little bright and grainy at the start. So for me burn-in was a big deal, and two fold, being it affected the bass smoothness and treble smoothness? Also the whole presence thing changed as the sound seemed to grow into the stage, becoming way bigger. I know this sounds odd, and may be partially mental burn-in?

But I use them with DUNU Blue wide bore silicone tips?
Well I bought this because I want to hear the EST. I have the Variations and I often find the EST drowned by the bass and and mid. I will see where it will get to after serious burn-in.

I only use Spinfit tips and tried CP100, CP145 and CP360, CP360 seems better than the other two so far.
Btw, the sound reminds me of the LZ A6. I think it is worth to compare them with each other.

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #2,982 of 3,807
Well I bought this because I want to hear the EST. I have the Variations and I often find the EST drowned by the bass and and mid. I will see where it will get to after serious burn-in.

I only use Spinfit tips and tried CP100, CP145 and CP360, CP360 seems better than the other two so far.
Btw, the sound reminds me of the LZ A6. I think it is worth to compare them with each other.
Well........the whole thing IS personal as well all a juggling of all tone elements. That’s what is tough about subjective reviews. They are only as good as their single personal interpretation. Yet I like to believe that there is still a fundamental approach to doing things right. Obviously there are as a whole............groupings of IEMs that get evaluated as simply junk. Those ones also get judged as lacking in some aspect of the IEM art, by the group as a whole!

But it seems that it’s a little harder to get the opposite evaluations obtained? Maybe everyone has slightly different treble thresholds and bass tolerances? I know truly the Bax changed after burn-in, and not that I found issues at the start? It just went from a really good IEM prior to burn-in to a really great one!

Like I said.....maybe it just fits my FR? But also in side by side tests with all styles of IEMs it showed itself to be superior in hand-fulls of ways. That is one reason I only did comparisons to two IEMs in my review. That and somehow I have a bunch $200 and a bunch (7) over the Bax price point. Strangely, I almost don’t have any at the $300 mark. Still I put the Bax at the very top of my preferences.

This is my very first EST, and even though blended into the mix, I tend to really hear the EST tone. It’s only slightly distorted (that’s its character) and a true gift walking away with zero BA steeliness? It’s just a full personality of beautiful leading edge resolution. IMO

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #2,983 of 3,807
The BAX sounds so interesting. I'm looking to get my final endgame IEM. My two top IEMs are already wonderful but I'm looking to round it up with my final third top tier IEM.

As I'm looking for an affordable option with huge soundstage and maximum details the BAX seems perfect.

Is it possible to compare the detail reproduction and resolution to a planar IEM? Are EST drivers in another league?

Apr 14, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #2,984 of 3,807
The BAX sounds so interesting. I'm looking to get my final endgame IEM. My two top IEMs are already wonderful but I'm looking to round it up with my final third top tier IEM.

As I'm looking for an affordable option with huge soundstage and maximum details the BAX seems perfect.

Is it possible to compare the detail reproduction and resolution to a planar IEM? Are EST drivers in another league?
There is also a feature of Head-Fi that allows you to get a clearer idea of what an IEM is like after the dust settles. Meaning many will chime in after ownership. Hopefully we get a realistic idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back