TRN impressions thread
Mar 5, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,641 of 3,805
I should also add that the TA1 fits better cable-down, so I recommend getting an MMCX cable without earhooks. Edit: After changing the tips, it actually fits better with the ear hook.

Overall, my impressions are more or less inline with @Vannak 's review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-ta1.24998/

Will be the daily driver for me. :)

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #2,643 of 3,805
I re-evaluated the TA1's low end listening to Mezzanine by Massive Attack. It definitely has much less bass compared to the BL-03. Using my HE-400i as reference, I think it's only about a +5 dB bump from neutral.

The Blons sound flabby in comparison.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #2,644 of 3,805
I re-evaluated the TA1's low end listening to Mezzanine by Massive Attack. It definitely has much less bass compared to the BL-03. Using my HE-400i as reference, I think it's only about a +5 dB bump from neutral.

The Blons sound flabby in comparison.
From comparing zs10 pro and Blon, I think one needs to talk about mid bass and sub bass separately for Blon comparison! Blon has a lot of mid bass, but as the sub bass is rolled off, it is overshadowed by the mid bass. So for example, zs10 pro has a linear bass, and has more sub bass, so it always feels more bassy, even though Blon has more mid bass than zs10 pro. Maybe something like this is happening with ta1 but other way around? Or is it also linear with ta1?

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #2,645 of 3,805
From comparing zs10 pro and Blon, I think one needs to talk about mid bass and sub bass separately for Blon comparison! Blon has a lot of mid bass, but as the sub bass is rolled off, it is overshadowed by the mid bass. So for example, zs10 pro has a linear bass, and has more sub bass, so it always feels more bassy, even though Blon has more mid bass than zs10 pro. Maybe something like this is happening with ta1 but other way around? Or is it also linear with ta1?
I meant mid-bass. I think the sub-bass is rolled off like the Blons.

The more I listen to it, the more I like it. It's got a relaxing sound like the Blons without the big mid-bass bump.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #2,646 of 3,805
The soundstage and imaging on TA1 is actually pretty good. I've been noticing the placement of things in music that I didn't before. Maybe I'm just paying more attention than before :dt880smile:

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #2,647 of 3,805
TA1 just delivered. Ended up just ordering one since I like the T300. Initial impression is really good. love the design of the shell, decent feeling cable, wide variety of tips. sadly like the T300 the tips doesn't quite seem to work that well for me. ended up using tips that are shallower/shorter. will change the cable later and try cable down, which i suspect i will like more.

Will have to spend more time with them for the sound, but with a quick comparison with the T300, sounds like it has a bit less bass and a bit more upper mids? I like the upper mids portion since I sometimes boost them a bit on the T300 too. I don't really mind the slightly less punchy bass since I'm not a basshead anyway. The main thing is probably the mids for me which has a nice fullness like the T300. really liking it so far.

:L3000:

tzQiNpP.jpg

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #2,649 of 3,805
Agreed with @unifutomaki . Graphs are just a rough indication of the FR, but they don't tell the full story. Other than the aforementioned technical aspects, timbral accuracy, bass decay etc also can't be gleaned from a standard FR.

there is a reason Dunu Zen is $699 and TRN TA1 is $29

LoL you are comparing apple to diamond...

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #2,650 of 3,805
Wear cable down is more comfortable (my ears)

looks like cable down is the way to go. it's my preferred option anyway since I wear glasses, so don't really like wearing IEMs over ear anyway. With cable down the default tips finally works for me. compared it a bit to the bl-03 and it has that smooth and enjoyable sound, but just like G777 has mentioned, less of that mid bass and thicker mids, especially the upper mids. I wish the default cable doesn't have that angle at the MMCX end though, that way can just strip the memory wrapping and use it cable down. :/

KBwJlde.jpg

Mar 10, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #2,651 of 3,805
TA1 came to me too.
The sound is good enough and pleasant.
Low frequencies do not dominate, they have good speed, but I would like a more contoured hit like in the V90s.

The mids are slightly pushed back. The separation of instruments for this price is awesome, as is the width and depth of the stage, oh yeah. One drawback is that they are critical to the recordings, on some tracks the vocals sound with an echo or some kind of fading.

High frequencies are raised, have a medium length, sometimes they are harsh.

Throw out stock ear pads in the trash immediately

Mar 10, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #2,653 of 3,805
Mar 11, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #2,654 of 3,805
I think the TA1 are my budget-fi endgame. I'll be looking at the higher price brackets when I do upgrade :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back