TRN impressions thread
Mar 11, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #2,671 of 3,805
Bggar on YouTube trashed it, talking about how the graph looks, and how the treble sounds, but everyone seems to like it. I'm waiting on a new cheap all ba set, that's gonna be one of the best compared to others of it's price.
I compared graphs of my favourite IEMs and coincidentally they kind of look like that of the TA1. And me too, who is this Bggar anyway, talking about what is missing by looking at the graph and calls it a review.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #2,672 of 3,805
TRN-TA1
TRN-TA1 full.jpg
Burn in:
Out of the box: vocals (both male and female) 8.5/10, mid bass is recessed, sub bass (6.5/10) is there, but only when the song really calls for it. The higher frequencies (7.5/10) are good, but won't compete with higher resolving offerings. For my sensitivity to the 2 khz - 4 khz, fatigue free.

35 hrs. in: everything from OOTB, with the sub bass (7.5/10) and the mid bass becoming more present; not domineering, just what's needed, for the lower range. Not basshead good, as the TA1 doesn't deliver that visceral thumping sensation (on my iPad), but I'd still use them as a daily.

Build:
TRN is onto something. As others have said: finish, weight and machining are top notch. Very important to note, for those with smaller ears, this footprint is for you.

Playback:
Great option for connecting directly to your old phone or iPad, via SE. The last IEM that I can recall, to play this well on a standard setup, was the iBasso IT00, with the bonus of no (zero, nada, nein, ...) driver flex popping. The only (ever so slightly) knock that I would give the TA1 (connected to my iPad), is the overall delivery makes me want to crank up the volume (but that would become an irritant, to my sensitivity, to the upper range), as the TA1 feels mildly handcuffed; this will probably be resolved once I transition to a balanced cable, on my Qudelix-5K, but I want to round out the burn in to +50 hrs.

(do not proceed, if you have a sensitivity to cable merits)
Just for grins, after removing the cable for the photos, I connected my balanced, NiceHck DarkJade (via the 2.5 mm to SE converter, that comes with the original Shuoer Tape) to the TA1 and put them back on the iPad. Holy Smores, I can hear it, I can hear it (@Dsnuts, @paulwasabii), a mixed graphene cable (that costs more than double that of the IEM) upped the width of the soundstage and overall presence.
I felt the disruption all the way over in the cable thread. Coincidentally I was watching @axhng review of the TA1 while using my DarkJade cable. The cable dark arts are obviously strong with you. Thanks for the review too, I might need to check this one out.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #2,673 of 3,805
I compared graphs of my favourite IEMs and coincidentally they kind of look like that of the TA1. And me too, who is this Bggar anyway, talking about what is missing by looking at the graph and calls it a review.
Yeah I know...graphs aren't always accurate, and everyone's ears are different, so we only can give opinions on sound. He loved the shouer tape pro, and a lot of people bought it and hated it......big flop.

Mar 11, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #2,674 of 3,805
Yeah I know...graphs aren't always accurate, and everyone's ears are different, so we only can give opinions on sound. He loved the shouer tape pro, and a lot of people bought it and hated it......big flop.
Yea we all know this so I don't think it is worth referring to a reviewer saying a particular earphone or cable is bad and then make it like this is your own view. We all have different ears and different equipment so unless something is known to be faulty, I will only trust my own ears but also take reference from reviewers who review their product in more details. And I can sincerely tell you that the Rhyme really isn't too good. Too much bass gone and too much reverb and the sound is kind of hollow. YMMV.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #2,675 of 3,805
Y
Just IMHO, I find the Rhyme to have way too much reverb which is enough to distract the listening experience. YMMV of coz.
I like the pair Rhyme and Limpid. Usually one is better than the other but I try both.
oh can you elaborate more on this? I find the T6 to be very good and I bought 3 T2 coz they are so cheap so I could test if there is any difference in sound using adapters.
I think this T2 issue went back to the early run of cables that either had quality issues or incomplete soldering. I believe it was resolved though. I have a few and new had any issue.

Mar 12, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #2,676 of 3,805
Y

I like the pair Rhyme and Limpid. Usually one is better than the other but I try both.

I think this T2 issue went back to the early run of cables that either had quality issues or incomplete soldering. I believe it was resolved though. I have a few and new had any issue.
Yea I actually find the T2 not bad. Whenever I can't find a suitable cable for my new IEMs I use the T2s. Somehow it just doesn't do anything wrong.

The Rhyme is alright just can sound quite weird with some of my IEMs and I prefer the FAAEAL in this price range.

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #2,677 of 3,805
Yea we all know this so I don't think it is worth referring to a reviewer saying a particular earphone or cable is bad and then make it like this is your own view. We all have different ears and different equipment so unless something is known to be faulty, I will only trust my own ears but also take reference from reviewers who review their product in more details. And I can sincerely tell you that the Rhyme really isn't too good. Too much bass gone and too much reverb and the sound is kind of hollow. YMMV.
I mentioned his review cause he was the first to get a unit and his viewers thought it was a dud based off his opinion. Being the first reviewer and with his reputation I thought it could effect sales. I didn't believe anything cause their was so little reviews of it, and need more proof. How did you think this is my view? How do you know he didn't review it well? I mentioned RikudouGoku's chart cause their ain't nobody putting out cable measurements, he recommended the rhyme, and others recommended it as well.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #2,678 of 3,805
I mentioned his review cause he was the first to get a unit and his viewers thought it was a dud based off his opinion. Being the first reviewer and with his reputation I thought it could effect sales. I didn't believe anything cause their was so little reviews of it, and need more proof. How did you think this is my view? How do you know he didn't review it well? I mentioned RikudouGoku's chart cause their ain't nobody putting out cable measurements, he recommended the rhyme, and others recommended it as well.
I sincerely apologize I really thought you were taking his review like a fact about the new TA1. I think you should try it yourself as they are not nearly as bad as how he reviewed it.

As for the Rhyme and RikudouGoku's chart I actually used it too. However, I will not take impedance as a deciding factor in purchasing any cable. For example there are some aftermarket resistance cable for some to "improve" the sound or to match impedance with their sources, so I guess getting a good sound isn't as simple as having the lowest impedance cable, just my 2-cents.

Mar 12, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #2,679 of 3,805
I sincerely apologize I really thought you were taking his review like a fact about the new TA1. I think you should try it yourself as they are not nearly as bad as how he reviewed it.

As for the Rhyme and RikudouGoku's chart I actually used it too. However, I will not take impedance as a deciding factor in purchasing any cable. For example there are some aftermarket resistance cable for some to "improve" the sound or to match impedance with their sources, so I guess getting a good sound isn't as simple as having the lowest impedance cable, just my 2-cents.
Well what I didn't mention is, after buying the t2, that's when I heard about the soldering issue. I use it on my trn v90 and it sounds great, it matches the v90 well. I have a jcally cable that sounds great, that I use on my trn stm and someone else that has a cable chart with measurements said it wasn't good. I'm trying to learn about cables, cause I wanna know what I'm buying.

Mar 12, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #2,680 of 3,805
Whatever the case may be, there's a quality and engagement factor to the TA1 that cannot be expressed in any FR chart. I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that this is a TRN product, because it's so versatile, refined, smooth and non-fatiguing, while at the same time being reasonably resolving and prioritising a natural tonality over outright technicalities. I could imagine someone being perfectly happy and satisfied even if this were their only pair of IEMs.

I do admit, however, that the stock tips really aren't the best. They suffer from the same problem as the Smabat X1's tips, namely that they are far too soft and pliable that any jaw movement breaks the seal even with the largest tips (and I do not have large ears). I briefly tried foams, but they kill too much of the (already not overwhelming) treble for my liking. Put on some large Starlines, however, and they come into their own all over again.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #2,681 of 3,805
Whatever the case may be, there's a quality and engagement factor to the TA1 that cannot be expressed in any FR chart. I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that this is a TRN product, because it's so versatile, refined, smooth and non-fatiguing, while at the same time being reasonably resolving and prioritising a natural tonality over outright technicalities. I could imagine someone being perfectly happy and satisfied even if this were their only pair of IEMs.

I do admit, however, that the stock tips really aren't the best. They suffer from the same problem as the Smabat X1's tips, namely that they are far too soft and pliable that any jaw movement breaks the seal even with the largest tips (and I do not have large ears). I briefly tried foams, but they kill too much of the (already not overwhelming) treble for my liking. Put on some large Starlines, however, and they come into their own all over again.
So it's like that huh? Does it have v90 smoothness with a more neutral sound?

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #2,682 of 3,805
Well what I didn't mention is, after buying the t2, that's when I heard about the soldering issue. I use it on my trn v90 and it sounds great, it matches the v90 well. I have a jcally cable that sounds great, that I use on my trn stm and someone else that has a cable chart with measurements said it wasn't good. I'm trying to learn about cables, cause I wanna know what I'm buying.
Maybe I bought after they have resolved the issue as I have no issue so far with the T2s.

I think I have around 25 cables and I don't think I have learnt too much from them. But from my experience:

1. Cables with nice transparent skins do sound nicer, not because of them skins but the fact that the manufacturers are confident enough to show you the nice look and thus the quality of the wires, just in general;
2. More cores and thicker cables don't necessary sound nicer. Also from my experience in general, If the IEMs are easy to drive you may find the sound better with thinner cables, say 4-core, as I often find 8-core or even 16-core (the TRN cables have 16 cores but they are thin so they are more like 4 cores) overdriving the DD. If the IEMs are harder to drive, you may need a thicker cable.

By the way, I think these are really cheap and should consider especially the goldsilvercopper one. I have the same cable from another OEM which costed me double and they are quite thick and nice.

https://www.amazon.com/OFC-Oxygen-F...PPER&qid=1611766286&sr=8-3&tag=headfi-20&th=1

Mar 12, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #2,683 of 3,805
So it's like that huh? Does it have v90 smoothness with a more neutral sound?
I have not heard the V90, however it has a laid-back, relaxing, U-shaped sound signature with transparent, resolving mids.

Mar 12, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #2,684 of 3,805
Maybe I bought after they have resolved the issue as I have no issue so far with the T2s.

I think I have around 25 cables and I don't think I have learnt too much from them. But from my experience:

1. Cables with nice transparent skins do sound nicer, not because of them skins but the fact that the manufacturers are confident enough to show you the nice look and thus the quality of the wires, just in general;
2. More cores and thicker cables don't necessary sound nicer. Also from my experience in general, If the IEMs are easy to drive you may find the sound better with thinner cables, say 4-core, as I often find 8-core or even 16-core (the TRN cables have 16 cores but they are thin so they are more like 4 cores) overdriving the DD. If the IEMs are harder to drive, you may need a thicker cable.

By the way, I think these are really cheap and should consider especially the goldsilvercopper one. I have the same cable from another OEM which costed me double and they are quite thick and nice.

https://www.amazon.com/OFC-Oxygen-Free-Upgrade-Detachable-Headphones/dp/B08XTKX3ZV/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=KZ+OFC+OXYGEN+FREE+COPPER&qid=1611766286&sr=8-3&tag=headfi-20&th=1
I've had these on my aliexpress wish list, that's good to know they from another oem for more.

Mar 12, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #2,685 of 3,805
I have not heard the V90, however it has a laid-back, relaxing, U-shaped sound signature with transparent, resolving mids.
I had the trn ba5 but it was doing this thing where if I move my my head or face the volume goes down so I took it back to Amazon. The cca a10 did the same thing, but it's gotten better and it's barely there or none at all. They both fitted well but maybe it's the large size and them being ba's? I was going to get the nicehck x49 being a $13 single ba, to know if I get the same problem, or get the ta1 to experience my first knowles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back