TRN impressions thread
Jul 3, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #2,236 of 3,805
Ikko OH1 (1DD&1BA), Shozy Neo CP (3BA), maybe?
Those are some interesting suggestions. It's possible that a DD bass will accomplish what I want and the Ikko graphs similarly. Of course, it's vented, though. You think both are upgrades relative to the BA5?

Before anyone mentions it, the T800 probably wouldn't suit me because of its emphasized and vented bass.

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #2,237 of 3,805
Those are some interesting suggestions. It's possible that a DD bass will accomplish what I want and the Ikko graphs similarly. Of course, it's vented, though. You think both are upgrades relative to the BA5?

Before anyone mentions it, the T800 probably wouldn't suit me because of its emphasized and vented bass.
Yeah. Maybe. I happen to like the BA5 lot and the other two also so perhaps I am not The person best positioned to answer. Sorry.

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #2,239 of 3,805
TRN20/20S users - how is the bluetooth stability/call quality ?
I spend several hours a day in conference calls for work, and my first TWS (KZ S2) is horrible - i keep dropping calls all the time on zoom.
Nobody tends to evaluate call quality and stability - I am not expecting jabra/plantronics performance - just that things should work without breaking

Jul 9, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #2,240 of 3,805
TRN20/20S users - how is the bluetooth stability/call quality ?
I spend several hours a day in conference calls for work, and my first TWS (KZ S2) is horrible - i keep dropping calls all the time on zoom.
Nobody tends to evaluate call quality and stability - I am not expecting jabra/plantronics performance - just that things should work without breaking

Terrible. BT20 is really for music.

In fact, most TWS are not that good for calls, because the microphone is so far away from your mouth. There are a few exceptions though.

I’d ask over at the TWS thread, because they are fanatics and will know exactly what is best for calls.

Jul 10, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #2,241 of 3,805
I missed most of the discussion of VX, since I received it with CCA CA16 which suited my personal preferences better and took my attention away for a while. I feel it's getting bashed unfairly. It's not bad at all. I hear things kind of similar to this guy. Good review. Recommend to check it out:

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #2,242 of 3,805
I missed most of the discussion of VX, since I received it with CCA CA16 which suited my personal preferences better and took my attention away for a while. I feel it's getting bashed unfairly. It's not bad at all. I hear things kind of similar to this guy. Good review. Recommend to check it out:

I have just listened to the video and I hear them the same way. I have VX and CA16 A-B testing right now and the CA16 does sound dark in comparison. But it is the clarity and resolution of the VX that really makes me sit up and take notice. I know it's a bit of a cliché but I truly am hearing things I hadn't heard before with the VX and that's with over 40 IEMs in my collection (and another 20 donated to charity!). I'm finding the VX very addictive. I haven't tried Starline tips or a different cable yet, that's my next step. I have 48 hours of burn in on them and the treble has smoothed out as well.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #2,243 of 3,805
Jul 15, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #2,244 of 3,805
IMG_20200715_203647.jpg

Will removing this metal plate cause any issues with the TRN V90?

I had build quality issues with the V90's. Not enough glue had been used in their construction. First the backs fell off and then the tubes that the sound comes through kept coming off.

After reattaching the tubes one time, the sound stopped emitting from the earphone and was only playing inside the earphone itself. Removing the silver grate highlighted in the picture fixes this issue.

Is there any reason why leaving the silver grates off will have a negative effect?

Jul 15, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #2,245 of 3,805
First the backs fell off and then the tubes that the sound comes through kept coming off.

After reattaching the tubes one time, the sound stopped emitting from the earphone and was only playing inside the earphone itself.

Wow, sounds like some top notch TRN crawlity control there

You should be fine running with no nozzle mesh. Of course, the mesh helps block out earwax and other debris, so you may want to keep an eye on that from time to time.

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,246 of 3,805
Wow, sounds like some top notch TRN crawlity control there

You should be fine running with no nozzle mesh. Of course, the mesh helps block out earwax and other debris, so you may want to keep an eye on that from time to time.

Thanks for the info! I'll leave them off as they're now pretty much unusable with the mesh on.

When I bought them I'd been out of the headphone game for a while so it was a revelation to find that you can now get reasonably priced iem's with removable cables. 99% of my headphones had died in the past due to the cable failing. I thought I'd be set for life. Within the first month the backs had fallen off and then the tubes. I'm going to glue them back together but as you say not good quality control at all. I doubt I'll buy TRN again.

Jul 16, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #2,247 of 3,805
Just ordered the TRN ST1 hybrid IEMs.
1 BA and 1 DD. older model.
but the reviews were actually pretty good.
and for 10$ I figured it was worth a shot.
I figured these could be good for taking to work.
at work we have lots of oils and solvent.
My hands are usually dirty. so I wanted something that I
would not mind getting dirty.
have any of you used these? Any first hand experience?
thanks.

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #2,248 of 3,805
Just ordered the TRN ST1 hybrid IEMs.
1 BA and 1 DD. older model.
but the reviews were actually pretty good.
and for 10$ I figured it was worth a shot.
I figured these could be good for taking to work.
at work we have lots of oils and solvent.
My hands are usually dirty. so I wanted something that I
would not mind getting dirty.
have any of you used these? Any first hand experience?
thanks.
Simple ST1 are good for listening to rock, pop and electronics at work. The shell is plastic, so solvents can etch it, but as long as your ears last, the plastic will survive. There won't be many fans of ST1 sound on head-fi, people here are a little more demanding on sound. But I personally like them, they are problem-free and, for most modern genres, sufficient for ordinary listening.
You certainly don't have to be afraid of them, but I would wonder if all-metal ones would be better to your work, for example BLON BL-03 or TRN V90.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #2,249 of 3,805
https://www.facebook.com/groups/audioreviews/permalink/4216750875031858/

Seems TRN is launching a new IEM (TRN STM) with tuning nozzles. 1DD + 1BA hybrid. This is the first time they are attempting a tuning nozzle thingy I think. I was pretty disappointed with the TRN VX cause of the harsh and overboosted treble/upper mids (though it could be fixed with micropore mods), so let's see if the tuning nozzles work (and ain't a gimick).

109359695_10158155409109792_5995346574638440388_o.jpg
107845673_10158155408854792_3401495248541303796_o.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #2,250 of 3,805
https://www.facebook.com/groups/audioreviews/permalink/4216750875031858/

Seems TRN is launching a new IEM (TRN STM) with tuning nozzles. 1DD + 1BA hybrid. This is the first time they are attempting a tuning nozzle thingy I think. I was pretty disappointed with the TRN VX cause of the harsh and overboosted treble/upper mids (though it could be fixed with micropore mods), so let's see if the tuning nozzles work (and ain't a gimick).

Looks interesting. I like the way TRN does it, when I buy a blue STM, my wife doesn't even know I have a new toy :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back