TRN impressions thread
Jul 17, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #2,251 of 3,805
Simple ST1 are good for listening to rock, pop and electronics at work. The shell is plastic, so solvents can etch it, but as long as your ears last, the plastic will survive. There won't be many fans of ST1 sound on head-fi, people here are a little more demanding on sound. But I personally like them, they are problem-free and, for most modern genres, sufficient for ordinary listening.
You certainly don't have to be afraid of them, but I would wonder if all-metal ones would be better to your work, for example BLON BL-03 or TRN V90.

Thanks.
Well they were so cheap it wont hurt me too badly if solvent etches them.
I will just have to be extra careful.
Thanks again
:)

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #2,252 of 3,805
TRN M10 on the way. Looks to be nicer build than the ST1. New STM looks like a modified ST1 with tuning options.

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #2,254 of 3,805
M10 arrived. Excellent sub bass, almost basshead levels OOTB, slightly recessed mids and treble clear but a bit bright at the moment, will burn in. Very difficult to establish correct polarity with the custom connectors. Will try other combinations as the plugs are straight. This could explain some of the strange timbre mentioned by others. Will update with more listening. Very comfortable fit and excellent seal with supplied tips. Nicely made as well, especially at the price. I have the "Phantom Black", looks cool.

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #2,255 of 3,805
Quick update. The best sound on the M10 is with the channel identification (it's not easy to see) on the plastic connectors is facing you when the tips are towards you. Soundstage and mids sound right.

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #2,256 of 3,805
Hey guys,I bought a BA5 recently after waiting 4 months for TRN to iron out the QC problems. The Ali shop guy told me it's a new production piece but sadly it has the same issues. Volume goes low on one side, certain drivers stop working with moisture issue if am right. Some days it work and when they do, thers nothing better but you never know. They can go on a strike anytime. I love the tuning but hate TRN's QC. First my left had issues which got fixed by itself overnight, then it was the right which also got fixed by itself. Yesterday there was a slight distortion from the left side. Since I love the sound soo much, I choose to live with it and keep it with silicon packets whenever they go on a strike but this distortion is something new that I've never heard about. Anyone else with similar issue? Is that also related with moisture problem? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #2,257 of 3,805
Hey guys,I bought a BA5 recently after waiting 4 months for TRN to iron out the QC problems. The Ali shop guy told me it's a new production piece but sadly it has the same issues. Volume goes low on one side, certain drivers stop working with moisture issue if am right. Some days it work and when they do, thers nothing better but you never know. They can go on a strike anytime. I love the tuning but hate TRN's QC. First my left had issues which got fixed by itself overnight, then it was the right which also got fixed by itself. Yesterday there was a slight distortion from the left side. Since I love the sound soo much, I choose to live with it and keep it with silicon packets whenever they go on a strike but this distortion is something new that I've never heard about. Anyone else with similar issue? Is that also related with moisture problem? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

can you describe the distortion in more detail how it sounds like and how it alters the output of the sound ?

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #2,258 of 3,805
can you describe the distortion in more detail how it sounds like and how it alters the output of the sound ?
I am listening to them right now. They are killing it no issues. BA5 is good for indoor listening but not for a prolonged period I suppose. When there is distortion, it's on the left side and feels grainy on certain frequencies esp mid.

Jul 24, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #2,259 of 3,805
Like the V90 there’s probably a polymer mesh under the metal mesh wax guard that is causing the volume loss problem. I removed the polymer mesh and replaced the metal mesh and that fixed the volume loss problem on my V90. The mids did come forward a little, so I would expect some change in sound with the BA5 as well. Something to consider if you feel adventurous.
29881725-28A2-43C4-B489-39320FC3BF7B.jpeg

Jul 24, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #2,260 of 3,805
Like the V90 there’s probably a polymer mesh under the metal mesh wax guard that is causing the volume loss problem. I removed the polymer mesh and replaced the metal mesh and that fixed the volume loss problem on my V90. The mids did come forward a little, so I would expect some change in sound with the BA5 as well. Something to consider if you feel adventurous.
I did the same basic modification, but I also added a little bit of earbud foam cover material in the nozzle to help tame the upper mids. It's been perfect, haven't had any instances where moisture caused the volume to decrease and it still sounds great.

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #2,261 of 3,805
every chifi company need to stop using mesh cloth as a damper. They made bass bloated and changes the sound too much. Foam / sponge damper or rolled cotton works better. Or at least give holes in the middle or sides. Don't block entire surface

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #2,262 of 3,805
Thanks for the useful tip, I didn't even think there was another mesh. I used a piece of micropore cloth (from screen protector on the new laptop) instead and the V90 sounds better right away. Before, I felt that the trebles were a little overlapped by the upper mids. Cymbals finally sound more natural and the V90's are no longer so shouty to me. Strange, the FR curve hasn't changed much, only the peaks have smoothed a bit, but the V90 now sounds completely different, more detailed and clearer then before.
v90_mod.png

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #2,263 of 3,805
Interesting news from TRN.
IMG_1596610194304.jpg
I skipped their previous BT devices as I didn't want to buy two of the same for my different IEMs, but it seems the wait might've been worth it :upside_down:

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #2,264 of 3,805
I have been evaluating the M10 hybrid. There has been a wide variance of opinion on this IEM online and the FR chart at the phonograph.net is plain weird. The review will be for my second sample as the first one had faulty BAs and seriously rolled off treble. QC problems most likely explain all this. With a correctly functioning unit, I was pleasantly surprised by this one, review coming very soon.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #2,265 of 3,805
Interesting news from TRN.
IMG_1596610194304.jpg
I skipped their previous BT devices as I didn't want to buy two of the same for my different IEMs, but it seems the wait might've been worth it :upside_down:

I have THREE BT20, but I’m definitely getting one of those. That’s epic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back