TRN impressions thread
Nov 30, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,606 of 3,806
Thanks. I’ve owned the BA5 for a few weeks. Love them. I’m curious to other timbre opinions, as I feel they aren’t quite correct, when listening to classical/piano. Can’t really put my finger on it, so it could be my imagination.
You might try some tip rolling if you haven't already. I think my experience has been partly attributable to getting my tips sorted.

Nov 30, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #1,607 of 3,806
This is *suspiciously* cheap
TRN likes to give the BIG MIDDLE FINGER to KZ whenever they can. And the fact they get the shells from the same place that TFZ sources theirs is another big FU to TFZ that charges much more for their sets and the performance difference.....I won’t use improvement.......isn’t reflected in the price after you hear something like the TRN IM2 or even the H2 for that matter. $15 and $17 sets that can easily hang with $60 and higher sets.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,608 of 3,806
So that's why I found the V90 strangely... familiar after looking at TFZs offerings

TRN V90 looks NOTHING like anything TFZ has ever released. The BA5 and the new ST1 use shells sourced from the same manufacturer that makes the ones in the TFZ Queen Edition and King Edition.

This has been discussed many times and most people don’t realize how small the Chi Fi community really is. There’s a direct link between BGVP, TRN and KZ according to individuals that work in the Chi Fi industry.

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #1,609 of 3,806
TRN likes to give the BIG MIDDLE FINGER to KZ whenever they can. And the fact they get the shells from the same place that TFZ sources theirs is another big FU to TFZ that charges much more for their sets and the performance difference.....I won’t use improvement.......isn’t reflected in the price after you hear something like the TRN IM2 or even the H2 for that matter. $15 and $17 sets that can easily hang with $60 and higher sets.

Anything can compete with bad sounding 60$ sets. If you look at crinacle's website there are even 10k $ sets (obravo something) that sound worse than a KZ ATE.

Not a good metric in my book, but overall I very much doubt those you mention sound as good as the best 60$ iems.

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #1,610 of 3,806
TRN V90 looks NOTHING like anything TFZ has ever released
That's why I say it's a person :)
tfzkp.JPG trnv90.JPG

Nov 30, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,611 of 3,806
I hope my V90’s sound good when I finally get them on the 6th of December.
I will be bummed if they don’t.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,612 of 3,806
I hope my V90’s sound good when I finally get them on the 6th of December.
I will be bummed if they don’t.

oh they *DO* sound good,

somehow they remind me a bit of the BLON BL-03

sometimes when having the TRN V90 I long for the sound output of the BLONs and vice versa :floatsmile:

those two both are very good IEMs.

Tennmak Turbo Whirlwind Ear tips [what I'm currently using] (or similar) might do them more justice than foam tips

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #1,613 of 3,806

I also think TRN is directly following KZ's formula (which they did for years, and still are to a degree). For years and years, KZ sold IEMs at super cheap prices - $4, $9, $13, etc. Obviously only making a few dollars at most. But they were able to flood the market and get their name well established. Then, years later, they were able to ramp up to $40, $50, $60, and even $100 IEMs.

Look at how far TRN has come, from the $10ish V10. If they had come right out of the gate with a $50-$60 IEM, I don't think anyone would have bought any because no one had ever even heard of them.

And no, I'm not saying TRN's or KZ's is some top of the line stuff now. It's still really inexpensive budget stuff. But even within the budget segment of <$50, there are multiple levels of 'quality' manufacturers compete in.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #1,614 of 3,806
I also think TRN is directly following KZ's formula (which they did for years, and still are to a degree). For years and years, KZ sold IEMs at super cheap prices - $4, $9, $13, etc. Obviously only making a few dollars at most. But they were able to flood the market and get their name well established. Then, years later, they were able to ramp up to $40, $50, $60, and even $100 IEMs.

Look at how far TRN has come, from the $10ish V10. If they had come right out of the gate with a $50-$60 IEM, I don't think anyone would have bought any because no one had ever even heard of them.

And no, I'm not saying TRN's or KZ's is some top of the line stuff now. It's still really inexpensive budget stuff. But even within the budget segment of <$50, there are multiple levels of 'quality' manufacturers compete in.

Yup, look at toneking, nobody wants to be the first ordering their > 200$ newest planars, because they don't really have a name in this space and their iems are a mixed bag, some really good like the nine tail, some awful like the previous planar (BL1 iirc).

Otoh quite a few bought the hibiscus, why? Premium cable mitigates the risk, and around 50$ is still acceptable risk wise. Doesn't look super great so far, but well.

If they don't send units for free to impartial reviewers (who literally destroyed the BL1, so they might be frisky) and get good reviews, it's not going to sell. Such is life in chifi wild wild west vOv.

Also I don't know what it's like for other ppl, but personally, not being able to listen to anything in my French country side before ordering, I think resell value before grabbing anything above 50$. I can always resell a moondrop or tin HiFi if I don't like it, but an obscure expensive toneking or TRN... Good luck.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,615 of 3,806
Also I don't know what it's like for other ppl, but personally, not being able to listen to anything in my French country side before ordering, I think resell value before grabbing anything above 50$. I can always resell a moondrop or tin HiFi if I don't like it, but an obscure expensive toneking or TRN... Good luck.

So true. Who is going to buy a used TRN V20 or the V80 'shocker'? It would cost more in shipping than the IEM itself is worth lol

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #1,616 of 3,806
I need an IEM mainly for my outdoor workouts which consist of pullups, pushups, lunges etc... I'm torn between the TRN V90 and TRN BA5...
I listen to EDM(drum n bass/Jungle mostly, trance), hip hop, rock, alternative, but never ever to anything like jazz/classical etc...

I'd like to pair with a **** 8 core cable and TempoTec Sonata DAC to my phone...
Any suggestions? Ty..

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #1,617 of 3,806
I need an IEM mainly for my outdoor workouts which consist of pullups, pushups, lunges etc... I'm torn between the TRN V90 and TRN BA5...
I listen to EDM(drum n bass/Jungle mostly, trance), hip hop, rock, alternative, but never ever to anything like jazz/classical etc...

I'd like to pair with a **** 8 core cable and TempoTec Sonata DAC to my phone...
Any suggestions? Ty..

>mainly for my outdoor workouts

humidity, sweat, rain, etc.

better go for the V90, even though I have doubt with those as well - if the BA5 might tend to turn out that fragile towards humidity from the reports :astonished:

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,618 of 3,806
... and for those genres, the V90 will surely be better too

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #1,619 of 3,806

Any suggestions? Ty..

Do yourself a huge favor and consider some total wireless earphones (or at least adapters like TRN BT20).

All that jumping, push-ups, backflips, cartwheels, etc with a long IEM wire tethered to a DAP AND a phone? Ughhh

Also, definitely cross the BA5 off your list. People are having problems with drivers cutting out due to ear canal sweat buildup, and they’re just sitting on their couch lol. I can’t imagine how it would be with a sweaty outdoor workout.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #1,620 of 3,806

Any suggestions? Ty..

I say forgoe the sonata DAC. And use the Trn B20s Bluetooth module. It fits so snug on me for workouts. Then use that with V90 or whatever .

Edit: dammit @Slater beat me to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back