TRN impressions thread
Nov 30, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #1,621 of 3,805
My V90 is set to arrive soon.

Do you think that the NICEHCK 8-core silver-plated cable would represent an upgrade over the stock cable?

It's this one here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914622984.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dRiADie

I already have one, and I think it would suit it.

If not, I already have the TRN T2 16-core Silver-plated Upgrade Cable, or the extra 'TRN Silver Plated Cable' that shipped free with my V90 on 11.11.

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #1,622 of 3,805
Why would you buy a new cable for a pair of headphones that already come with cables before you’ve ever tried them?
Who knows. Maybe the cables it comes with are ok. Or at least sound ok.
You never know. But if you simply have an itch to spend money I could just give you my bank account number and bank routing number if that’s easier. You could just wire the money straight to me instead.
Lololol. All kidding aside. I would wait. Try the new IEMs. Then make the call on the new cables.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #1,623 of 3,805
Why would you buy a new cable for a pair of headphones that already come with cables before you’ve ever tried them?
You never know. But if you simply have an itch to spend money I could just give you my bank account number and bank routing number if that’s easier. You could just wire the money straight to me instead.
Lololol. All kidding aside. I would wait. Try the new IEMs. Then make the call on the new cables.

When you have bought enough iems you know that stock kz, bqeyz or TRN cable won't do. I'm not speaking about sound but about horrible thin tangling cables. Any 6-8€ 4 to 8 core cable from ****, nicehck or such is a huge improvement. If that's "breaking the bank" well...

Nov 30, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #1,624 of 3,805
When you have bought enough iems you know that stock kz, bqeyz or TRN cable won't do. I'm not speaking about sound but about horrible thin tangling cables. Any 6-8€ 4 to 8 core cable from ****, nicehck or such is a huge improvement. If that's "breaking the bank" well...

Yes, and it's not just fit. Some of the TRN cables that come with the IEMs are not built to spec, and need to be replaced. That may be the case with one of my V80s. In addition, the stock cables are mostly non-metal in many cases, and the copper or silver may be very low grade or adulterated. It is said on this forum that any basic upgrade cable is an improvement on many stock cables.

Anyway, I just wait for sales and buy them cheap. I was skeptical about cables, too, until my CNT-1 stock cable broke within 15 minutes of me installing it. Because I had 2 MMCX upgrade cables on-hand (one of which also broke), I was able to bring the CNT-1 back into action, and it sounds great. So its good to have some cables as a backup against shoddy QC from the manufacturers.

Also, Citral, you had said that you prefer the "Moondrop Nameless" for its mid-centric presentation. Can you clarify what you mean by "Nameless?" Is it the original "Moondrop?"

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #1,625 of 3,805
What’s the standard 2 pin cable most iems use? Is it .75 or .78? Was trying to buy one of those **** cables, but I get the impression those are .78 and won’t fit the TRN V90 which says is .75.

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #1,626 of 3,805
What’s the standard 2 pin cable most iems use? Is it .75 or .78? Was trying to buy one of those **** cables, but I get the impression those are .78 and won’t fit the TRN V90 which says is .75.

There is no standard. Some companies use 0.75mm, and others use 0.78mm.

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #1,627 of 3,805
TRN likes to give the BIG MIDDLE FINGER to KZ whenever they can. And the fact they get the shells from the same place that TFZ sources theirs is another big FU to TFZ that charges much more for their sets and the performance difference.....I won’t use improvement.......isn’t reflected in the price after you hear something like the TRN IM2 or even the H2 for that matter. $15 and $17 sets that can easily hang with $60 and higher sets.

I have the TRN IM2 for a couple of months, and I got it at < $14 USD with coupons. It doesn't do anything wrong, but nothing excellent either, sort of a jack of all trades. Very V shaped, can be basshead, non fatiguing treble.
But what I didn't like about it is a super artificial timbre for acoustic instruments and a very recessed mids frequency. For some recordings I'm familiar with, the mids are quite absent and I'm just hearing a lot of bass and treble. But technicalities wise, it is not bad.

Though I wouldn't say it can hang with some $50 USD sets that just released in the middle of 2019 in view of the timbre and mids issue. But for the cheap price, it is built very well and isolation is pretty good, it can be used as a transit daily beat up IEM. I put it back in the box after a spin with it for a few days, they'll be my back up of my back ups. Probably a good introductory IEM for those new in the hobby who want to try a typical CHIFI V shaped tuning for cheap price and get most areas covered. But maybe for us who own a few sets already, you'd probably already have something that beats it.

TRN V90 looks NOTHING like anything TFZ has ever released. The BA5 and the new ST1 use shells sourced from the same manufacturer that makes the ones in the TFZ Queen Edition and King Edition.

This has been discussed many times and most people don’t realize how small the Chi Fi community really is. There’s a direct link between BGVP, TRN and KZ according to individuals that work in the Chi Fi industry.

If I'm not mistaken, I read that TRN broke off from KZ previously to set up their own company. KZ does OEMs for smaller companies like Tripowin and previously Kbear. CHIFI is probably not a paragon of strict licensing and anti piracy laws, and I wouldn't be surprised the shells and drivers (and maybe tuning) can be identical for 2 "different" IEMs, with just a different logo stamped on the shell.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #1,628 of 3,805

I would say 0.78 is the standard.

0.75 exists, but it is rare.

There is a reason the Trn B20s uses two models for 0.78 2pin and mmcx. And not 0.75 and mmcx.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #1,629 of 3,805
Yes, and it's not just fit. Some of the TRN cables that come with the IEMs are not built to spec, and need to be replaced. That may be the case with one of my V80s. In addition, the stock cables are mostly non-metal in many cases, and the copper or silver may be very low grade or adulterated. It is said on this forum that any basic upgrade cable is an improvement on many stock cables.

Anyway, I just wait for sales and buy them cheap. I was skeptical about cables, too, until my CNT-1 stock cable broke within 15 minutes of me installing it. Because I had 2 MMCX upgrade cables on-hand (one of which also broke), I was able to bring the CNT-1 back into action, and it sounds great. So its good to have some cables as a backup against shoddy QC from the manufacturers.

Also, Citral, you had said that you prefer the "Moondrop Nameless" for its mid-centric presentation. Can you clarify what you mean by "Nameless?" Is it the original "Moondrop?"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hifiphil.wordpress.com/2018/08/19/moondrop-nameless-neutralize/amp/

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #1,630 of 3,805
My V90 is set to arrive soon.

Do you think that the NICEHCK 8-core silver-plated cable would represent an upgrade over the stock cable?

It's this one here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32914622984.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dRiADie

I already have one, and I think it would suit it.

If not, I already have the TRN T2 16-core Silver-plated Upgrade Cable, or the extra 'TRN Silver Plated Cable' that shipped free with my V90 on 11.11.
I own this cable, and I use it on my TFZ NO.3. While I don't yet own the TRN V90, I do think it will match well with that particular iem, imho. I'm certain it will be a big improvement on the stock cable that comes with the V90.

Nov 30, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #1,631 of 3,805
The cables that come in the box with most iems...are flat out garbage. It doesn't matter if you spend $50 or $500+. The cables that come with the earphones are usually crap. Even a $20 cable will be an improvement in most cases...especially with budget iems.

Nov 30, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #1,633 of 3,805
since my set of TRN V90 has started to gradually lowering its volume output on the right side - to the degree that hardly anything can be heard from the side - when listening for several minutes (or 30 minutes to 1 hour) and the reverse is true when reversing the connection with cables,

even tried different cables

@KopiOkaya I wanted to ask you if you're aware of QC or batch issues with the V90

it's unfortunate that it first started to exhibit this kind of behavior after quite some time and they were ordered around end of August thus the dispute window is already over

besides that I really love the V90 - they're somewhat similar to the BLON BL-03 but oftentimes I prefer the improved clarity, sparkle and differentiation of them (thanks for tuning them !)

Nov 30, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #1,634 of 3,805
The cables that come in the box with most iems...are flat out garbage. It doesn't matter if you spend $50 or $500+. The cables that come with the earphones are usually crap. Even a $20 cable will be an improvement in most cases...especially with budget iems.

I see your paragraph, and raise you the cable that came with my $55 dollar Faaeal Hibiscus.

This is better than most of the cables I own that I bought separately. Even those costing more than the iem of the Hibiscus itself.

IMG_20191112_135511.jpg
IMG_20191112_135608.jpg
IMG_20191112_135516.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #1,635 of 3,805
Before discovering Chifi iem's, all I'd ever heard of was either mmcx or .78mm 2 pin. I think the .75mm pin is a KZ invention to make them appear different in the market, and to attempt to make a more "proprietary" cable. TRN seems to have adopted that, since their leaders seem to have come from KZ, and started their own venture. I'm just guessing here; but I'd wager that, of the iem manufacturers that use a 2 pin connector to their iems, most would be using .78mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back