Triple Fi 10 - Is this a joke?
Dec 10, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #151 of 186
Yesterday I came home from work and was surprised to see that my TF10 arrived. I have been wanting to have a listen to these IEMs for awhile now, what is a few more days of waiting for a backorder. Opened the shipping carton to find the TFbox inside with a cardboard wrapper. I was a little disappointed that the TF box was just a black box that is about the build quality of a cake box with a hook and loop for a closure. 

Tried all three of the silicone? tips first. They all slid out from my ears. I had to hold them in place with my fingers to provide a good seal. The soundstage was big and wide but I was getting irritated trying to get a good fit/sound from the TF so I moved on to the foam tips. Swapping out the tips was simple Popped the TF with the foam tips in and got a good seal from the start. Started up the music and my toes curled. It sounded like I had a head cold like everything was muffled So I tried to adjust the insertion depth into my ear canals and position of the foam tips on the nozzle of the TF. No luck, it always had that muffled sound. Back to the small silicone tips but this time I swapped left and right sides as suggested by my fellow HeadFiers. This time around I got a better fit, but I have not settled on an ideal orientation yet.

Has anyone else had that muffled sound with the foam tips? I wonder if the tips is providing excess damping to the shells.

I let them break in by playing for the last 24 hours. Got home from work and popped them in for another listen. My initial impression of the TF 10 was that the mids are  lean, the bass is robust and on the tubby side. While the soundstage is big, get a overall feel that the music has a smeared feel overall to it. Not quite sure how to describe it yet.

Now I was fortunate to get these at the holiday  pricing. At that price the TF10 so far is a good value for cost to sound.

If I had paid the normal price, I would be disappointed. At the 230ish price range, you are more than halfway to getting a set of custom IEMs. At that price, I would save up the extra coin for the jump to customs. For me the fitment problem was not a big surprise but was a little disappointing. I hope listeners that are taking a big first step to this level of IEMs do not have this problem and get discouraged.
While I understand the special pricing reflects on the quality and "green" nature  of packaging, I think that a product toward the upper tier of the UE line may deserve a higher level of finish and overall presentation. The packaging issue is minor to me personally, but for a casual listener that is shelling out big bucks to take a leap from the OEM earbuds to the IEM realm should be greeted to a better level of finish.

Thanks to all of the Head Fi members that provided different fitment experiences with the TF 10s.

Dec 10, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #152 of 186
Try some sony hybrid tips. They have the sound of the silicone tips without the fit issues and a lot more comfortable. I could not believe what I was hearing with the foam tips either, my KSC-75 sounded better when comparing to the TF10 with the foamies.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #154 of 186

Quote:
Try some sony hybrid tips. They have the sound of the silicone tips without the fit issues and a lot more comfortable. I could not believe what I was hearing with the foam tips either, my KSC-75 sounded better when comparing to the TF10 with the foamies.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665815084

Is this the model you are suggesting ? Thank you for the help guys. Thought it was just me when I was listening with the foam tips.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #155 of 186

Yeah, I got my two pairs and to confirm that everything was in there, I had to open both boxes, so now they are no longer sealed and no longer new. I am now frustrated and angry. How's that for frustration free packaging?.I am pretty sure that I won't be able to sell them well on Ebay because the UE packaging is just ugly and cheap! 

Quote:

Quote:
Interesting, mine came in a box and inside the box was a black "eco friendly" box that you can open up and close easily. 

Quote:
What I wasn't expecting was a brown cardboard box as packaging.  Luckily I wasn't buying it as a gift because I opened the brown box thinking the actual box is inside of it until I realized I just opened the headphone and it can no longer be considered NIB. 

Well mine had the black eco box inside the brown box.  But once the brown box is opened the headphone is considered open.  The eco box can't even hold the contents in with it's barely closing velcro and loose lid, things just fall out when you tilt it.  Basically you wouldn't expect a $400 headphone to have this kind of packaging on the shelf of a store.  They should have probably mentioned this is amazon frustration free packaging or something so people know what to expect. 

In any case, the headphone is nice, I'm liking it more than I thought I would considering how many other headphones I am used to listening to.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #158 of 186

Quote:
just wondering but around how much isolation do sonyn hybrids give you..I know a lot of people who use decored olives with their tf10s 

triflanges and biflanges isolate more than the single sony hybrids. though they're a tad thicker than their clones/knockoffs so I would assume they isolate a little bit better as well. for the most isolation possible, you would have to go with the custom route or foam eartips

Dec 10, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #159 of 186
WOW, I'm an idiot. It turns out that we are all using the comply's wrong! Flip them over, problem solved!
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #161 of 186

Quote:
Quote:
WOW, I'm an idiot. It turns out that we are all using the comply's wrong! Flip them over, problem solved!
biggrin.gif

What do you mean y flipping over? Which side is facing out now?

the side that is supposed to go in first, goes in last. basically, we would do this so the core extends as far as the foam material,  that way it doesnt collapse and warp the sound when we plug up our ears

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #162 of 186

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665815084

Is this the model you are suggesting ? Thank you for the help guys. Thought it was just me when I was listening with the foam tips.

Yes, those are the hybrids.  Look on ebay and you can get knockoffs that are just as good but get them all in one size.  If you buy the Sony's, you are essentially paying $10 for one pair since you won't need the others.  lostearbuds is a seller others on here have used before.

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #163 of 186
I ordered the Sony hybrid from their service centre a pair is less then $2 USD. I got myself 5 pairs of small size.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #165 of 186

Quote:
I got my TF10's the other day. Man, now I know who the King of "V" shaped sound signatures is.

Out of the box the HJE900 beats the TF10 IMO.  But the 900 actually improve w/ use for me.  The TF10 sounds constant to me.  I guess psychoacoustics only works on the 900 for me but not the TF10.  Oh well.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back