TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Dec 4, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #23,071 of 24,683
It can come down to personal preference and synergy too. I've heard songs that I thought were recorded really well and found out later they just sounded really good one one particular set of IEMs. I wasn't trying to diminish your impressions in any way, just the gear I usually like best and consider high end tends to ruin a lot of my music collection. Also if they are not revealing that could actually be related to the incoherence Tommy was referring to. At least that's my interpretation.
Absolutely disagree with this. Great highend equipment doesn't ruin a music collection. A great system will make some things sound better than others. But a great system does not beat one over the head with differences. Reducing distortion, time smear, ringing and other problems helps all recordings. Poorly built equipment and improperly matched components can exagerate the differences between recordings. This can happen because the system is so uneven that some recordings click in while others don't. Stax headphones are a great example. As revealing as it gets but few recordings sound truly bad on them.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #23,072 of 24,683
Absolutely disagree with this. Great highend equipment doesn't ruin a music collection. A great system will make some things sound better than others. But a great system does not beat one over the head with differences. Reducing distortion, time smear, ringing and other problems helps all recordings. Poorly built equipment and improperly matched components can exagerate the differences between recordings. This can happen because the system is so uneven that some recordings click in while others don't. Stax headphones are a great example. As revealing as it gets but few recordings sound truly bad on them.
Certainly not my entire collection that was hyperbole. What I'm referring to is some of my music sounds so good that anything short of perfect production is really obvious now. Sort of like how I sometimes wish i hadn't taken film classes in uni :p. And then you have personal preference, I happen to like very revealing gear.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #23,073 of 24,683
Just my 5 cents.
@Jackpot77 reviewed the IMR R1 on www.audioprimate.blog
He owns Empire Ears Zeus and Athena, CA Vega (and Andromeda too I think?) and the Trinity Phantom Hunter (by way of background intro and frames of reference for those who don't know).

He described the R1 as being hugely enjoyable, very smooth, warm and organic.
Detailed but not a micro-detail monster.

With these kinds of qualities, it would not be surprising if the IEM was able to smooth over the deficiencies in compressed/lossy formats or lesser-quality masterings.
I don't think it's straightforward to have a definitive paradigm where TOTL IEM = exposes poor recordings.
It depends on the sound signature of the specific IEM.
I think my Hunter/PM4 'expose' poor recordings more than my Noble Katana, for example.

Finally, regarding the tuning being all over the place (or whatever the criticism was, I forget the exact words), he could be right.
But, that doesn't necessarily make it a poor IEM.
The tuning of the Vega by all accounts is pretty weird and it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but other audiophiles rave about it.

My understanding from hearing what sound engineers have to say on the matter is that generally in an IEM, they're naturally looking for the most neutral, reference sound signature possible to aid them in their work, and to match what they are used to dealing with.
To someone who's used to hearing and working with such a sound signature, any U-shaped, L-shaped or other tuning would undoubtedly sound weird, skewed and possible even repulsive.
I'd been listening to a neutral, reference style DAP for a couple of months pretty much non-stop, then tried the Sony WM1Z at CanJam.
My reaction was exactly "UGH!".
Looking back now, with more knowledge and experience of different sound signatures, I was just unused to (and unprepared for) such a rich, thick, warm, organic sound signature. If I had time to listen to it extensively now, I'd probably think it was amazing.

So the fact that a sound engineer thinks that a heavily warm and organic IEM sounds weirdly tuned is not necessarily unsurprising or a negative.
In my opinion, it doesn't casts aspersion on either the sound engineer's taste, expertise and discernment, nor on the IEM itself.

Personally, I'd love to hear the R1. Based on what I've read about it, it's undoubtedly not a giant-killer or world-changer, but could well be a good, solid IEM for the price, with some less common features (interchangeable filters, open/closed vent option, dual dynamic drivers, etc).
For those for whom it ticks their boxes and who have the funds available, a decent buy. Nothing unworthy in that.

I don't know the truth of the Bob/Trinity story. It may come out in time or not.
I bought some products, cancelled some others, and am still waiting for another.
All I can say is that there have been some very positive reviews of the R1 and, it would seem, some negative ones too, and this is to be expected for any new IEM that isn't being overhyped, especially one with a very specific, somewhat polarising sound signature.
And people have been receiving them within the deadlines promised.
Whatever the facts are regarding Trinity and Bob's role in it, I personally am a firm believer in second chances (I appreciate others may not share this view) and, thus far, I think IMR/Bob have been blameless in their conduct and the quality of what they've put out. You can't ask much more, and hopefully it can continue like this.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #23,074 of 24,683
He wrote me a pretty good detailed impression.
I can try and find it later.
I work full time, good job, no debts. $700 is still a lot. If I was in the market and had a budget of $700 I would definitely look elsewhere.
You have companies such as Noble, Campfire, Empire Ears and many more who really put plenty of thought and dedication into their products.
Too many to chose from really. Not discrediting your view, I just won’t look at IMR for various reasons.

Between Kickstarter and IGG I have backed over 500 campaigns as I like to support startups that have what I consider to be great ideas. As for those companies you mentioned, I’ve heard and read that the markup for prices can be as much as 70%. Yes, R&D is expensive, but after a company has been is business for as long as those, a more reasonable price would not be out of order. The problem is we live in a world that is more and more being controlled by greed.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #23,075 of 24,683
I kind of doubt the whole story will be told really.
People deserve to get a refund or their products. Bob was/ is part of this whole ordeal.
Bob used to come here and act like he was a partner in the company, then when he so called left, he wrote posted on Instagram that he was “just a contractor” and the Trinity sound wasn’t even his sound. Speaking of misleading the customers.
Based on their reports Trinity made only $8000 in profit. It doesn’t make sense. They either didn’t report all their earnings or shareholders took a huge pay.
The PM6, the Hunter and the Air almost almost brought in close to $1mil based on their figures.
Things just don’t add up and people are screwed. Despite their reports no one here reported receiving anyting.
It’s just sad altogether. Trinity can’t survive like this and eventually will go away.
I just hope that those who gave them money will see a refund or some products at least before they fold.

Obviously in business if you want to recieve a paycheck, you do as you are told. Wether it’s ethical or not. I see this as I worked for a company that was unionized. And the management would say and do anything, even if it were illegal, to try and get you fired. So Bob was probably between a rock and a hard place. And at least he was able to get out.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #23,076 of 24,683
Just my 5 cents.
@Jackpot77 reviewed the IMR R1 on www.audioprimate.blog
He owns Empire Ears Zeus and Athena, CA Vega (and Andromeda too I think?) and the Trinity Phantom Hunter (by way of background intro and frames of reference for those who don't know).

He described the R1 as being hugely enjoyable, very smooth, warm and organic.
Detailed but not a micro-detail monster.

With these kinds of qualities, it would not be surprising if the IEM was able to smooth over the deficiencies in compressed/lossy formats or lesser-quality masterings.
I don't think it's straightforward to have a definitive paradigm where TOTL IEM = exposes poor recordings.
It depends on the sound signature of the specific IEM.
I think my Hunter/PM4 'expose' poor recordings more than my Noble Katana, for example.

Finally, regarding the tuning being all over the place (or whatever the criticism was, I forget the exact words), he could be right.
But, that doesn't necessarily make it a poor IEM.
The tuning of the Vega by all accounts is pretty weird and it's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but other audiophiles rave about it.

My understanding from hearing what sound engineers have to say on the matter is that generally in an IEM, they're naturally looking for the most neutral, reference sound signature possible to aid them in their work, and to match what they are used to dealing with.
To someone who's used to hearing and working with such a sound signature, any U-shaped, L-shaped or other tuning would undoubtedly sound weird, skewed and possible even repulsive.
I'd been listening to a neutral, reference style DAP for a couple of months pretty much non-stop, then tried the Sony WM1Z at CanJam.
My reaction was exactly "UGH!".
Looking back now, with more knowledge and experience of different sound signatures, I was just unused to (and unprepared for) such a rich, thick, warm, organic sound signature. If I had time to listen to it extensively now, I'd probably think it was amazing.

So the fact that a sound engineer thinks that a heavily warm and organic IEM sounds weirdly tuned is not necessarily unsurprising or a negative.
In my opinion, it doesn't casts aspersion on either the sound engineer's taste, expertise and discernment, nor on the IEM itself.

Personally, I'd love to hear the R1. Based on what I've read about it, it's undoubtedly not a giant-killer or world-changer, but could well be a good, solid IEM for the price, with some less common features (interchangeable filters, open/closed vent option, dual dynamic drivers, etc).
For those for whom it ticks their boxes and who have the funds available, a decent buy. Nothing unworthy in that.

I don't know the truth of the Bob/Trinity story. It may come out in time or not.
I bought some products, cancelled some others, and am still waiting for another.
All I can say is that there have been some very positive reviews of the R1 and, it would seem, some negative ones too, and this is to be expected for any new IEM that isn't being overhyped, especially one with a very specific, somewhat polarising sound signature.
And people have been receiving them within the deadlines promised.
Whatever the facts are regarding Trinity and Bob's role in it, I personally am a firm believer in second chances (I appreciate others may not share this view) and, thus far, I think IMR/Bob have been blameless in their conduct and the quality of what they've put out. You can't ask much more, and hopefully it can continue like this.

I find it very interesting that recording engineers continue to use an IEM that is over 20 years old called the Etymotic ER4SR. I too own this, but much prefer the R1.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #23,078 of 24,683
This is just my opinion but I think Bob is probably still working for them. Can't verify or deny this, again this is just pure speculation on my part. If he sells a lot of the IMR AKA TA R1. They can recoup a lot of the funds they need to finish the remaining TA mess. So guys that believe in the new IMR bob earphones. I say go for it. Cus Bob can't continue to make new phones under the TA name so what to do? Just come up with a new company. ( Who knows what these guys are truly doing.)

If it means I can get my Hunters at some point. Cus at this point. I can't believe a single word or action that camp has come up with. I would imagine a company in dire straights will try whatever they can to pick up their mess and we all agree TA is a mess.

Please buy as many IMR R1s as you can. Cus somehow this might mean we will eventually see our goods.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #23,079 of 24,683
R1 today, blue filters and Massive Attack and a walk through The Old Kent Road.......awesome, Bob kicks ass

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #23,082 of 24,683
Just spoke with Kieran today and same old story again. I was told they were still waiting for more stock of PM6, Hunter to arrive. So, it is not shipped for me yet.
And those who are waiting for ICARUS I, II and IV, there is no news on that front too..

I’m sorry bk123 but I don’t believe you. Liaran promised me in September the Icarus 2 and 4 were shipping back in September. That was three months ago. Are younsuggesting he does not tell the truth?

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #23,083 of 24,683
I’m sorry bk123 but I don’t believe you. Liaran promised me in September the Icarus 2 and 4 were shipping back in September. That was three months ago. Are younsuggesting he does not tell the truth?
Wilberforce55, it is up to you whether you believe it or not, there is no ICARUS I, II and IV till date.
Keiran is just a customer care guy who is telling or conveying what his masters are asking him to do that. I too have ordered ICARUS IV and I in June this year.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #23,084 of 24,683
Sorry. I was being sarcastic. He literally told me in September they were shipping that week. He is such a liar (this is beyond a customer care instruction) I immediately started the refund process which was competed last month. Now I am just out two pairs of working Airs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back