Tried Putting Beyer 880 Pads on My New Denon D2000s ... LOVE IT!!!!!
Apr 12, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #16 of 53
I just tried the velours, not bad, like them better then the stock pleathers. The gels sound alot better then anything I have tried as of  yet (have not tried Lawton pads).  Two drawbacks though:

Not very asthetically pleasing .

and had to use the wife's pantyhose to protect the driver .

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 53

Quote:
Hrm,

I have a few sets of Beyer pads that I could try to put on my D5000's to test this.

But man, it's seriously annoying trying to put these pads on & off. I wish they had a mechanism instead of just stretching. Anyone have any tricks to doing this an easier way? It takes me like 20 minutes to get one pad on sometimes. It'd silly.

Very best 
confused_face_2.gif

I feel you MalVeauX. Sometimes its uber frustrating to do so -__-. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #18 of 53
Just tried this after seeing the thread, only I swapped the ones from my HE-300s and D7000s. It's very... strange. Not sure what to think yet. :blink:

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #19 of 53
Argh. Not sure how the formatting got so screwed up on this post. But--you wanted photos--here they are.

f.

If it isn't obvious, the Beyer pads are a little ragged and even torn in some places. But I didn't swap pads for the looks--I don't care how they look as I'm just using these at home. I care about how they feel and most importantly--sound.

As some have suggested, after repeated listening I have noticed a certain drop in bass on certain tracks--it's very nominal and more noticeable on underpowered sources, for some reason. But the trade off is definitely worth it due to a huge improvement in soundstage and "openness" for lack of a better term. Comfort, of course, as well.

Still curious to see if anyone else has tried this specific combo ... It has really opened my eyes up to what a change in pads can do.

(I thought the scratch on the cans in the close-up was something on the camera lens, but then I looked at the actual cans and ... uh oh. Guess I don't have to worry about whether or not to return these now ...)

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #21 of 53
Looks like it would lose one of the main qualities of the Denons' comfort though. That is, their angled and contoured pads being designed in such a way to minimize your ears touching the cloth covering the drivers.

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #22 of 53

Quote:
Looks like it would lose one of the main qualities of the Denons' comfort though. That is, their angled and contoured pads being designed in such a way to minimize your ears touching the cloth covering the drivers.

For some users I'm sure that's possible, but for me, in addition to the improvement in sound, swapping pads has increased the comfort level tenfold. It's possible I'm just used to the feel of the Beyer pads. I've never worn angled pads before and now that I have I do not care for them.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #23 of 53
Quote:
I just tried the velours, not bad, like them better then the stock pleathers. The gels sound alot better then anything I have tried as of  yet (have not tried Lawton pads).  Two drawbacks though:

Not very asthetically pleasing .

and had to use the wife's pantyhose to protect the driver .

More details on sound? I'm going to put my denon pads on my AKG K242HD, so I am weighing up my uptions for other pads on my D2k, was thinking LA pads, but dunno, a bit pricey.

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #24 of 53
I was thinking that the gel pads may be best. Seems like the velours would put the driver to close to the ear and loose the bass. The gel pad is a bit thicker and should retain the bass. Is the gel pad made in black?

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #25 of 53

Quote:
I was thinking that the gel pads may be best. Seems like the velours would put the driver to close to the ear and loose the bass. The gel pad is a bit thicker and should retain the bass. Is the gel pad made in black?

Yes. I think that is the only way you can get them now. Fearless1 posted a link in this thread earlier:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580539-REG/Beyerdynamic_900799_Gel_Style_Ear_Cushions_for.html

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #26 of 53
Quote:
Seems like the velours would put the driver to close to the ear and loose the bass.

The OP used DT990 pads, the DT770 velours isolate better and have audibly more bass (but maybe not as "open" sound).

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #27 of 53
They were actually 880 pads, but I want to try the DT770s for the very reasons you describe. This little experiment really has made me want to try every conceivable pad on my Denons--I didn't think they would sound that much better with the 880 pads, so who knows what is possible?

Still waiting for someone to replicate this, just to see what your impressions are ...

Apr 13, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #30 of 53

Quote:

More details on sound? I'm going to put my denon pads on my AKG K242HD, so I am weighing up my uptions for other pads on my D2k, was thinking LA pads, but dunno, a bit pri

I like the Gels over the J-money pads I had on these. I moded my old stock pleather pads with foam and a top of a plastic cup to simulate a Lawton pad and noticed a big improvement in sound stage, but lost some bass impact. With the gels I have monsterous impact and a sound stage that  rivals my T50rps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back