Tried Putting Beyer 880 Pads on My New Denon D2000s ... LOVE IT!!!!!
Apr 12, 2012 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

blinkstar

100+ Head-Fier
I have had the Denons for a couple of days now and haven't been all that thrilled with them. First they just don't feel very comfortable to me compared to all my other cans (yes, I know, most people think they are extremely comfortable). Second, the sound has a kind of closed-in, almost claustrophobic feel to it (I know that sounds weird but it is the best way I can think of to describe it.)

Today, just for the hell of it, I tried putting my old worn out Beyer 880 velour pads on the Denons and ... I can't believe how much more comfortable they feel, and how much BETTER they sound!

Yes, I know this could well be the placebo effect but you know that feeling you get when you put on a pair of cans and listen to something you're familiar with, and you're smiling in pleasure the whole time? That's how I feel right now. It SEEMS like I'm getting a lot more detail on the high end. The soundstage seems much wider and a lot more natural-sounding now ... no more "claustrophobic" effect ... I'm just very, very happy. I was seriously thinking about returning the Denon's but now I think I'll keep them ...

Has anyone else tried this? (I know about the J-money pads and the angled pads, etc, but that is different from the Beyer pads.) The vanilla Denon pads are very angled, much thicker in the back, while the Beyer's are not angled at all, and I think this may make a big difference in how they sound.

Thoughts?

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 53
Beyer 8800? is not 880?
With the velours i guess there's minimal isolation. Have pics of your little project?

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3 of 53

Quote:
Beyer 8800? is not 880?
With the velours i guess there's minimal isolation. Have pics of your little project?

Ah, yes, I meant 880, not 8800. I think I've made that mistake many times on here. Thanks for pointing it out!

Would lowering the isolation really have that big an impact on the sound? With the Beyers everything definitely feels a little airier and open ...

If you really want a picture I could post one tonight. But it just looks like the Denons with silver velour pads instead of stock ...

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 53

Quote:

Ah, yes, I meant 880, not 8800. I think I've made that mistake many times on here. Thanks for pointing it out!

Would lowering the isolation really have that big an impact on the sound? With the Beyers everything definitely feels a little airier and open ...

If you really want a picture I could post one tonight. But it just looks like the Denons with silver velour pads instead of stock ...

The airiness is the results of using velours, but if you're happy with the sound no worries. 
I bet they look interesting. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 53

Quote:
The airiness is the results of using velours, but if you're happy with the sound no worries. 
I bet they look interesting. 

I'm not just happy with the sound--I'm thrilled with it.

I should mention that I'm primarily using these for gaming (though music is improved too). And for gaming, the difference in soundstage is NOT subtle. I can pinpoint the placement of sound sources much, much better now, and the sources seem much more spread out (hence the increase in soundstage depth, I guess). And NO loss in bass--which is what I was afraid was going to happen with the Beyer pads.

I really want someone else to try this out, just to see if anyone else hears the difference I do.

Will post pictures tonight.

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 53
I have had the Denons for a couple of days now and haven't been all that thrilled with them. First they just don't feel very comfortable to me compared to all my other cans (yes, I know, most people think they are extremely comfortable). Second, the sound has a kind of closed-in, almost claustrophobic feel to it (I know that sounds weird but it is the best way I can think of to describe it.)

Today, just for the hell of it, I tried putting my old worn out Beyer 880 velour pads on the Denons and ... I can't believe how much more comfortable they feel, and how much BETTER they sound!

Yes, I know this could well be the placebo effect but you know that feeling you get when you put on a pair of cans and listen to something you're familiar with, and you're smiling in pleasure the whole time? That's how I feel right now. It SEEMS like I'm getting a lot more detail on the high end. The soundstage seems much wider and a lot more natural-sounding now ... no more "claustrophobic" effect ... I'm just very, very happy. I was seriously thinking about returning the Denon's but now I think I'll keep them ...

Has anyone else tried this? (I know about the J-money pads and the angled pads, etc, but that is different from the Beyer pads.) The vanilla Denon pads are very angled, much thicker in the back, while the Beyer's are not angled at all, and I think this may make a big difference in how they sound.

Thoughts?

Any picture u wanna show? I wanna see how it looks like with beyer pad?

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 53
The Beyer Gel pads sound fantastic with the Denons as well. I hated thed with the DT 990s but love them on my D5ks. I think they sound better then my J-money pads and are more comfortable.

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 53

Quote:
qo--I'm going to try to post photos tonight.

Fearless1--where do you get the Gel pads? Most places I looked say they're unavailable ....

I had them for a while and hated them. I was messing around trying them again on my moded T50rps and I looked over at my 5000s and thought....... they sound fantastic on them. actually increase the bass, better isolation and wider soundstage. There are some here, but they are the black ones http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580539-REG/Beyerdynamic_900799_Gel_Style_Ear_Cushions_for.html

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 53
Nice I find the beyer pads extremely comfy 
beyersmile.png

Now time for them pictures.

One more thing did the overall signature change when you switched the pads ?

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 53
Hrm,

I have a few sets of Beyer pads that I could try to put on my D5000's to test this.

But man, it's seriously annoying trying to put these pads on & off. I wish they had a mechanism instead of just stretching. Anyone have any tricks to doing this an easier way? It takes me like 20 minutes to get one pad on sometimes. It'd silly.

Very best 
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 12, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #15 of 53
Yea, I've had a tough time with some pads swaps and they have tried my patience for sure. I like the idea of the Beyer pad on the dxk though. Could be very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back