Tried Putting Beyer 880 Pads on My New Denon D2000s ... LOVE IT!!!!!
Jun 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #48 of 53
Finally received my black gel pads after nearly 2 months...and wow its really hard to put these pads on the Denon D2000's screw in plastic case. Been trying for nearly an hour and my thumbs are very painful now :frowning2:

edit: had to use a toothpick to slowly wrap it around the case.  wow that was rough

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #49 of 53
I ended up buying a pair of the black gel pads to try as well. I like them, they are comfortable and isolate very well (they do get sweaty though). Bass hits a little harder/deeper. But ... I think I'm going to go back to my old 880 pads. Though you do lose some of the bass, the sound is just a lot more open and clearer IMO. Soundstage seems better as well.

I also tried the DT770 velour pads on the Denons and it sounded TERRIBLE. Really surprised at how bad it sounded.

Going to stick with the 880/990 pads for now. Still not sure how many in this thread have actually tried that combo ...

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

I have not tried the LA pads, I used the J-money pads and modified the stock pads based on Markl's info. The gels crush the J-money pads and my modifed stock pads on soundstage and bass impact., The weight of the pads does make the D5ks a bit heavier, but they are light anyways. They are the same size as the stock pads as far as circumference, and about an inch thicker.

I paid 90 bucks for my J-money pads and 27 for the gels and they are way better.

Let me just add that I hated the gel pads with my DT990's they improved the soundstage but muffled the high end to the point that I threw them in my unused equipment closet and considered throwing them away.......but they work well with my D5ks.

Fearless, thanks so much for the info.

I had a question since you have the J$ pads. I find that J$ make my D5ks into a v-shaped phone (recessed mids) although the soundstage improves and bass is tamed somewhat. And when I tried the velours from my DT770s, they don't sound great and destroys the bass...

How would you compare the Gel Pads to the J$ in terms of sound signature? Do the mids also get recessed as the drivers are further away from your ears?

Many thanks

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #51 of 53
Quote:

Fearless, thanks so much for the info.

I had a question since you have the J$ pads. I find that J$ make my D5ks into a v-shaped phone (recessed mids) although the soundstage improves and bass is tamed somewhat. And when I tried the velours from my DT770s, they don't sound great and destroys the bass...

How would you compare the Gel Pads to the J$ in terms of sound signature? Do the mids also get recessed as the drivers are further away from your ears?

Many thanks

The gel pads really do not change the sound signature that much, but give a better seal(deeper bass) and a wider sound stage. The only thing I have noticed is that the black ones do not sound as good as the hard to find clears. The clears are softer and more of a squishy gel. The black ones do sound better then the stock pads/J-money, but just not as good as the clears.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #52 of 53
Quote:
The gel pads really do not change the sound signature that much, but give a better seal(deeper bass) and a wider sound stage. The only thing I have noticed is that the black ones do not sound as good as the hard to find clears. The clears are softer and more of a squishy gel. The black ones do sound better then the stock pads/J-money, but just not as good as the clears.

Appreciate your response. Just for my reference, would it be possible for you to describe your experience with the J-money pads? Do you also find that it changes the sound signature?

I will try and find some of these clear gel pads it seems!

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #53 of 53
Quote:
Appreciate your response. Just for my reference, would it be possible for you to describe your experience with the J-money pads? Do you also find that it changes the sound signature?

I will try and find some of these clear gel pads it seems!

I was not a fan of the J-money pads, it may be because I have the Lawton modded D5ks. They sound much better on my D2ks (unmodded). I thought the pads took the warmth out of the D5k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back