Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #3,526 of 10,312
Quote:
Looking at your profile Cute, Im sorry but why have a load of custom cables if you don't believe they make a difference???

That is the point in doing DIY cables for me, as they all are......I want to prove to myself which cables are really the best, and that they do sound different.  I have since sold more than half of what is listed in my profile because personally they didn't measure up.  I don't see comparisons on this thread, comparing other cables to Toxic Cables....only that they are better than stock offerings.  I am trying to generate some discussion of how the Toxic Cables compare to others that are available as after market cables.  For many, the latest cable that they have purchased is always the best....that could just be the hype train mentality!  DAC/amp should be upgraded first before cables, IMO, and I do have very capable DAC/amp, so trying to squeeze that last little bit with cables.  I think cable choice/sound is simply a personal opinion, we all do hear differently.  Frank never states an opinion on the sound of his cables, but claims his are best, I would like to hear more comparisons with the competition.  Toxic Cables no doubt have very good build quality, that's for sure, but sound is subjective!

Paul, your impression of the White Widow a few posts back is exactly what headfi needs to hear.....and I agree 100% with what you said there, I have the same opinion of my silver plated copper type 2 litz cable, and notice the same difference in the same areas as you.  Not everyone would hear that the same way.  Wire that is available for DIY is better than ever before.....exciting times for the Audiophile!

May 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #3,527 of 10,312
Let's not bash cute for his view - it's quite a common one. I myself hear a difference, but that might very well be placebo although I doubt it. Quite a few somewhat "respected" head-fi members seem to hear a sonic difference between stock and aftermarket IEM cables and so do I. 

@cute there's been several comparisons afaik. I did one between the "old" Toxic hybrid (8-wire one) and a Whiplash 8-wire hybrid. 

May 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #3,528 of 10,312
Let me make a simple suggestion to you. If you are trying to start a discussion, with the sole purpose of how Toxic compares to other cables, then start another thread. This is a Toxic appreciation thread.

If you check the forum,you will find that my cables have been compared to other brands, you yourself posted your findings when you  compared it to 6 of them in the post i quoted earlier.

The reason many find their new purchase to be better is very obvious, because most do their research and usually upgrade to a better and not lesser product.

I will suggest that if you wish to carry on, and try and promote other companies by posting their URL here (removed by mods after my report), that you do that elsewhere.  There is a right thing and wrong thing to do, you would not find me going on to threads for specific companies and posting the URL to their competitors on that thread.

May 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #3,529 of 10,312
Quote:
Let me make a simple suggestion to you. If you are trying to start a discussion, with the sole purpose of how Toxic compares to other cables, then start another thread. This is a Toxic appreciation thread.

If you check the forum,you will find that my cables have been compared to other brands, you yourself posted your findings when you  compared it to 6 of them in the post i quoted earlier.

The reason many find their new purchase to be better is very obvious, because most do their research and usually upgrade to a better and not lesser product.

I will suggest that if you wish to carry on, and try and promote other companies by posting their URL here (removed by mods after my report), that you do that elsewhere. There is a right thing and wrong thing to do, you would not find me going on to threads for specific companies and posting the URL to their competitors on that thread.

I agree with you Frank. This is Toxic cable appreciation thread and there is no point to just say something bad without ground.  This should be done in another discussion forum.  I will compare two products head to head before I can say which one is better or worse.  As I mentioned before I have compared your 18 AWG Scorpion with my Cardas and there is very noticeable improvement in sonic quality.  This is not an impression as my wife and my son who has a musical ears also confirmed that the Scorpion sounds better than Cardas.
Later I will compare the Scorpion with my Oyaide cable and see which one is better.

May 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #3,530 of 10,312
If someone has something negative to say about a cable they have purchased from me, by all means they can post it here. But for someone who does not even own one of my cables (made the cables themselves) to come on here and start recommending other companies and posting those websites on this thread, is out of order, especially when this same person has clearly indicated on other threads that they have a grudge against Toxic Cables.

May 6, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3,532 of 10,312
Quote:
I have a grudge against toxic cables....

Everyone else has there's and I'm still waiting!!!

Only another month and a half, give or take, so not too much longer

biggrin.gif

May 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #3,533 of 10,312
Quote:
If someone has something negative to say about a cable they have purchased from me, by all means they can post it here. But for someone who does not even own one of my cables (made the cables themselves) to come on here and start recommending other companies and posting those websites on this thread, is out of order, especially when this same person has clearly indicated on other threads that they have a grudge against Toxic Cables.

Im totally with you on this one, Well You know it anyway lol!

May 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #3,534 of 10,312
Frank & Cable Officionado's, I need some help please.

Its related to a non Toxic Cable, However its not to do with competition etc , Well as I wouldnt do that to Frank,
However I do need some advice about an existing cable, And where better to get that advice from but you lot??

So if anyone has a moment I'ld really appreciate it. 
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/662845/nordost-odin-mini-to-mini-cable-the-real-thing-or-not

May 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #3,535 of 10,312
Hey guys,

This is a DIY Hybrid cable I made out of Toxic Cables Scorpion and Viper Wire. It's 26 awg, 8 strand, 4 feet.  I'm a huge fan of the Frank's occ copper wire, and this hyrbid is the best cable I have heard so far.  Scorpion has the best bass quantity and quality of any cable I've heard, good warmth and natural sound, with increases in depth, and clarity across the spectrum.  The occ spc gives me that bit more high frequency clarity without sounding too clean, even more soundstage, a bit more air, and clarity in the upper mids and treble.  I've only got about 50 hours on the cable and it's already starting to open up.  I'll definately use Toxic Cable wire for all my future projects.  I've gotten good advice from Frank regarding any cable questions, and he was kind enough to send me some extra wire at no cost at all.
 Cheers!  
beerchug.gif

May 7, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #3,537 of 10,312
Quote:

That is the point in doing DIY cables for me, as they all are......I want to prove to myself which cables are really the best, and that they do sound different.  I have since sold more than half of what is listed in my profile because personally they didn't measure up.  I don't see comparisons on this thread, comparing other cables to Toxic Cables....only that they are better than stock offerings.  I am trying to generate some discussion of how the Toxic Cables compare to others that are available as after market cables.  For many, the latest cable that they have purchased is always the best....that could just be the hype train mentality!  DAC/amp should be upgraded first before cables, IMO, and I do have very capable DAC/amp, so trying to squeeze that last little bit with cables.  I think cable choice/sound is simply a personal opinion, we all do hear differently.  Frank never states an opinion on the sound of his cables, but claims his are best, I would like to hear more comparisons with the competition.  Toxic Cables no doubt have very good build quality, that's for sure, but sound is subjective!

Paul, your impression of the White Widow a few posts back is exactly what headfi needs to hear.....and I agree 100% with what you said there, I have the same opinion of my silver plated copper type 2 litz cable, and notice the same difference in the same areas as you.  Not everyone would hear that the same way.  Wire that is available for DIY is better than ever before.....exciting times for the Audiophile!

I have been a cable swapper for over 20 years, ever since noticing the difference in sound when using different speaker cables. I have never been a passenger on the 'hype train'.
Frank made me a custom usb cable, which other cable companies refused to take on, using the silver venom wire. That cable has turned out to be the best sounding usb cable i have had in my system. Detailed and relaxed at the same time but more than anything just plain musical. My other previous cables are Locus axis, Wywires, Revelation Audio Labs, and Artisan silver dream. All great cables but comfortably improved upon by the venom in my system.

May 7, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #3,539 of 10,312
Quote:
Hey guys,

This is a DIY Hybrid cable I made out of Toxic Cables Scorpion and Viper Wire. It's 26 awg, 8 strand, 4 feet.  I'm a huge fan of the Frank's occ copper wire, and this hyrbid is the best cable I have heard so far.  Scorpion has the best bass quantity and quality of any cable I've heard, good warmth and natural sound, with increases in depth, and clarity across the spectrum.  The occ spc gives me that bit more high frequency clarity without sounding too clean, even more soundstage, a bit more air, and clarity in the upper mids and treble.  I've only got about 50 hours on the cable and it's already starting to open up.  I'll definately use Toxic Cable wire for all my future projects.  I've gotten good advice from Frank regarding any cable questions, and he was kind enough to send me some extra wire at no cost at all.
 Cheers!  
beerchug.gif

Very nice DIYing skills there. Looks awesome. 

May 7, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #3,540 of 10,312
I have received my Scorpion after more than two months’ waiting and now I have run the cable for more than 100 hrs and it is time to make a comparison to see how good or bad this cable would be.

Yesterday I spent some time to compare the sonic differences between the three headphone cables that I have, i.e. Cardas cable, Oyaide  PCOCC-A cable and 18 AWG Copper Scorpion.  I did not test the stock HD 800 cable as I have never used it since I bought the headphones.

As I have two pairs of HD 800s and it is therefore easy for me to carry out an AB test. What I did was to play different tracks of my favourite CDs for the first 20 seconds and listened to the SQ by plugging in the headphone one after the other and compared the details of the same track.

I first compared Cardas and Oyaide and the winning cable would then be compared with Scorpion.  Between Cardas and Oyaide the performance was very similar and I could only hear very minor differences.  However Oyaide seems to be a bit warmer than Cardas which is to my favourite so I decided to compare Oyaide with Scorpion.

On comparing the first track of my CD on the fist 20 seconds I could immediately hear a massive difference between the Oyaide and Scorpion which was to my great surprise.  I then run more than 30 tracks of the first 20 seconds in various CDs and the results were the same.  I then asked my wife and my son who have good music ears (as they both play piano) to judge and they also confirmed with what I had heard.

In short the SQ of Scorpion is exceptionally clear and transparent with excellent sound-staging.  The music is with much more air and space.  I am not saying Cardas and Oyaide are low quality cables but after listening to Scorpion, in comparison I found Oyaide is veil and like listening music behind the curtain and the SQ is sometimes muddy.  I can confirm Scorpion gives very good presentation on high, low and mid range frequencies and I can listen to music for hours without any feeling of fatigue.  A lot of minor details that I did not notice before could also be heard.  As a whole I can only say the performance of Scorpion beats both Cardas and Oyaide for miles.  As to the cost Scorpion is the cheapest of all three.

I have really no regret in buying Frank’s product from blind without audition.  A few months waiting is worthy if you really want to have an excellent product with good performance and workmanship.  This is the reason why I have just ordered a copper Black Window from Frank to replace the Oyaide cable on my other HD 800 though I was told the waiting time could be +12 weeks 
triportsad.gif

Remark: This is the link to show how I modified the Oyaide cable for HD 800:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618464/the-very-first-oyaide-pcocc-a-headphone-cable-for-senn-hd800

Users who are viewing this thread

Back