Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #2,716 of 10,312
Quote:
I'm sad to hear about your son's health issues.

But it might also be a signal that your business is growing a bit "out of control" and that you need to invest extra in man-power and maybe a website/marketing guy on part time to take care of the front end-ish.
Just some tips.

Frank offered me to send the cables via Express delivery, free of charge, but I've decided to get a refund (even though I waited 4 months) and take it as a sign from god that I need to start doing my own cables.

/V

It's the devil that's persuaded you to get a refund, god would have told you to wait for one of Franks cables
wink_face.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #2,719 of 10,312
Quote:
I'm sad to hear about your son's health issues.

But it might also be a signal that your business is growing a bit "out of control" and that you need to invest extra in man-power and maybe a website/marketing guy on part time to take care of the front end-ish.
Just some tips.

Frank offered me to send the cables via Express delivery, free of charge, but I've decided to get a refund (even though I waited 4 months) and take it as a sign from god that I need to start doing my own cables.

/V

I already have 2 people working for me as i have said many times before, taking on any more people would mean me paying them out of my own pocket. I am also limiting the amount of orders i take in, which is why i could not accept the new order you wanted to place.

Not seen your email for the refund yet, so will take care of it now.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #2,720 of 10,312
You filling orders made for loose wire made over eBay? I ordered some wire for a DIY project....
Quote:
I already have 2 people working for me as i have said many times before, taking on any more people would mean me paying them out of my own pocket. I am also limiting the amount of orders i take in, which is why i could not accept the new order you wanted to place.

Not seen your email for the refund yet, so will take care of it now.

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,722 of 10,312
It's the devil that's persuaded you to get a refund, god would have told you to wait for one of Franks cables :wink_face:

He has already waited an age - that's his point. I do agree with the points that Valentin makes and think he offers some constructive advice. He's a well respected headfier. Nobody here doubts the craftsmanship of Frank's cables, or the sonic quality, but that should not excuse poor customer service. By poor I mean repeatedly missed delivery times. Growing pains maybe, but they do need sorting out. Maybe the short term solution is to stop taking new orders for a few months...but I'm sure Frank will resolve it somehow.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #2,723 of 10,312
Quote:
Maybe the short term solution is to stop taking new orders for a few months...but I'm sure Frank will resolve it somehow.

The orders being taken now are not an issue, these ordered will ship around the time frame given to customers, the issue is the orders that are already late, and stopping taking orders now will not make these orders ship any sooner.

Anyway, this is an appreciation thread and i am sure everyone has the jist of what is going on now, so maybe any further discussions of this matter can be taken to a thread that was specifically created for it, in the following link.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651949/how-long-does-it-take-to-have-a-cable-frank-toxic-cables

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #2,724 of 10,312
Quote:
The orders being taken now are not an issue, these ordered will ship around the time frame given to customers, the issue is the orders that are already late, and stopping taking orders now will not make these orders ship any sooner.

Anyway, this is an appreciation thread and i am sure everyone has the jist of what is going on now, so maybe any further discussions of this matter can be taken to a thread that was specifically created for it, in the following link.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651949/how-long-does-it-take-to-have-a-cable-frank-toxic-cables

I agree 100%..........why post in this thread if you have nothng to appreciate from toxic cables?

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #2,725 of 10,312
+1 i agree totally

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #2,727 of 10,312
Creating a thread with just praises is what allows small problems to grow into large ones.
I for one do not wish to be surrounded by yay-sayers. But that's my opinion.

I got my refund. Frank prior to that proposed to send the cables asap with express delivery etc. That doesn't remove or change the 4 months I waited. But that is my fault. I have too much patience and always hope for the best.

Sorry for ruining the appreciation thread.

All the best,
V

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #2,728 of 10,312
Quote:
He has already waited an age - that's his point. I do agree with the points that Valentin makes and think he offers some constructive advice. He's a well respected headfier. Nobody here doubts the craftsmanship of Frank's cables, or the sonic quality, but that should not excuse poor customer service. By poor I mean repeatedly missed delivery times. Growing pains maybe, but they do need sorting out. Maybe the short term solution is to stop taking new orders for a few months...but I'm sure Frank will resolve it somehow.

It was tongue in cheek old friend.

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #2,729 of 10,312
I got my 6ft 24AWG French Silk Black Widow in a few weeks ago and for some time have been meaning to get around to writing a review comparing it to the stock LCD2 cable. I've never had a aftermarket cable before, but when I decided to buy a Mjolnir I knew I would need a balanced cable, so I started looking around. I heard all of the buzz around Toxic Cables and wrote to Frank about which cable would be best given my musical preferences. He suggested the Black Widow, and so I placed my order, along with a 4-pin XLR -> 1/4in TRS adapter. 

CRAFTSMANSHIP
This cable is incredibly light and flexible. If I didn't know better I would think this thing was just a light, thin rope. All of the connectors feel very sturdy too, so it should be pretty durable. As far as looks go, I'll let the pictures do the talking. 

EQUIPEMENT
I can't compare the stock and Black Widow on my Mjolnir, so I used the TRS adapter and compared the cables using the  Aphex 454 Headpod ( http://www.aphex.com/aphex-products/454-headpod-2/ ). The Headpod is the only single ended amp I have right now, and while probably not ideal for orthos, it still does a pretty good job. So, for this comparison my setup was MacBook Pro -> Pure Music -> Aphex 454 Headpod -> LCD2.2

SOUND

I think my musical tastes might be a little different than most head-fiers, but I wanted to do this comparison using a few tracks I am very familiar with. Also, I'm not going into too much detail with each track only because I heard the same improvements across all songs, and I don't want to repeat myself too much.

ASAP Rocky's "Wild for the Night" (Long.Live.ASAP)

The kick drum in the intro went a bit deeper and had more punch than with the stock. Also, the guitar, which is hiding in the background, was easier to hear, so much so that I could clearly hear the reverb on it. I could also hear this reverb with the stock, but it took a little more concentration. Finally, by comparison, the stock cable sounds a bit flat (dimensionally, not frequency response) and dull in comparison to the Black Widow.

Lorn "Diamond" (Ask the Dust)

This song opens with a synth that sounds something like metallic violins. With the stock, these violins sound nice and clear, but with the Black Widow they are somehow more energetic and immediate. Again, with the Black Widow the separation is increased, leaving a little more air around the instruments. Overall, the stock sounds relatively lifeless and flat, while the Black Widow creates a more energetic and 3D soundscape. 

Tom Petty "The Trip to Pirate's Cove" (Mojo)

Like the previous songs, the Black Widow seems to increase the soundstage and separate better. Tom's voice sounds further above my head than with the stock. There is also a point in the song where his voice echoes left and right, and with the Black Widow it seems to go further outside my head. For lack of a better word, the guitar seems to sound more "round", while it sounds flat with the stock. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense, but I can't think of a better way to describe this. 

CONCLUSION

The Black Widow keeps or improves things I love about the LCD2s, specifically the warm organic sound and deep punchy bass. At the same time the Black Widow expands the soundstage, separates better, and creates more of a 3D effect. I particularly like this because my major gripe with the LCD2 is that it can sound a bit too closed in.

As you can probably tell, I am extremely happy with my Black Widow. I was a cable skeptic, but Toxic has converted me :) All the differences I heard were consistent across each song, so think I can safely say the improvements are due to the cable. The differences aren't night and day, but they are not subtle either. Instead, they are all noticeable and come together to provide an improvement all around, making for a more enjoyable and engaging listening experience. 

Like just about everybody else, my experience with Frank was great. I'm a total noob to aftermarket cables, and had over 50 questions, but he was very patient with me throughout the whole thing. In almost every case he answered my questions within a few hours, even when it was at an ungodly hour like 3AM.

Finally, I know it does take a while to get these cables, but if you can hold out you will receive an exceptional cable and  get to know a great guy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back