Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 10, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #2,012 of 10,312
the green one really gives a toxic feel 
basshead.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #2,013 of 10,312
Jan 10, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #2,014 of 10,312
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I just bought a length of 26AWG cryo treated 7N copper wire from Toxic Cables, as part of a project to rebuild my grado sr80s from the ground up (aluminium, leather, mahogany - a very enjoyable project so far).

So I'm looking to braid the cables - 4 cables coming out of the jack, all braided together up to the splitter, whereby two cables go off to the left and two to the right driver. In all the pictures I can find of this arrangement, each pair of cables going up from the splitter to the drivers are just twisted round each other in a double helix fashion (as it takes three or more cables to do a braid). But just twisting cables around each other will unravel in no time. So what am I missing here? Am I being really stupid or is there something else going on to stop the two twisted cables from unravelling? Are they somehow bonded together in that configuration?

Hope someone can help, thanks very much in advance.

This would have been better posted in the DIY forum, not many here make their own cables, fortunately. 
biggrin.gif

If you just twist the wires, they will unravel. Imagine holding a steering wheel, one hand on the left of the wheel and the other on the right, replace the wheel with one piece of wire in each hand.
Now, you need to take the car around in a circle, turn the wheel all the way to the right, then swap the wires from one had to the other, then keep turning and swapping hand. After you are finished, the wires will not unravel, but to be even more certain of this, you can apply some heat to the twisted wires, this will form the wire in to place, just don't melt the sleeving.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #2,015 of 10,312
Jan 10, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #2,016 of 10,312
Quote:
I have reviewed both....

And very good reviews you wrote! The silver widow review helped me take my decision. 

As the wait for my cable is hard, I will write about how i decided to buy one :D

A few weeks ago I was sure I wanted a new cable for my LCD2, because I think that my stock cable is the weakest link in my system, so I started searching for reviews and opinions. 

I already had my eyes on toxic cables for over a year 
ph34r.gif
 . While searching, I have seen the reviews of Silver Poison and the appreciation thread. When I saw the number of pages on that thread I was amazed. I started to look for other cable companies appreciation threads. Guess what...I barely found one but with very few pages. 

So I started reading the posts....after a few hours I was at page 80 
popcorn.gif
 with my eyes red 
tongue_smile.gif

So I have read over 100 pages on this appreciation thread. I was amazed...everybody cheerful...happy and every single one of the customers satisfied. For a cable thread this is pretty damn amazing. It was like a big happy community, one of the most positive ones seen on this entire forum. I haven't seen one unsatisfied customer...not one!

This made me sure of my decision.

I was still not sure if I wanted a silver or copper cable. I am very afraid of brightness even though I have the LCD2. My ears are very sensible to bright sound. I can hear my wifes phone chargers from Nokia when plugged into the power sockets ( at first i thought it was in my head...a iiiiiiiiiiiiiii sound....it was getting me mad...when I started walking in the room and I observed the change in intensity...so i followed the intensity and found the damn charger.... 
angry_face.gif
 )

After more reviews and everybody stating the silver+gold were not bright and not loosing bass....I decided on Silver Poison. I just had to wait for my salary to kick in (the banks were closed for Christmas).
One night after I enter on headfi for 
popcorn.gif
. I stumbled upon this Silver Widow review...and at the end....

Quote: from the Silver widow review
I listed the prices at the beginning of the review. The Silver Poison cables have built a reputation as a terrific bargain for custom silver cables. That value still holds. The new Silver Widows are in my opinion worth twice the price. The added clarity, bass impact and space are the best I have heard. Frank has chosen to price them at 50% more than the Silver Poison's...A killer deal.

Gorgeous looking, Gorgeous sounding, twice the performance of their amazing older siblings and only 50% more in their price.

35onan.jpg

Ok...started doing some calculations with my (angry on me 
angry_face.gif
 ) wallet....I did not expect to want to buy 300EUR cable, since I recently bought the lcd2+conductor...Well...after a day or so, the salary kicked in, and I contacted Frank to tell him about the order.
Frank did not respond ...I was panicking . The poor man works day an night for the cables from what i read ....but damn I wanted to make the order. After a few hours (yes..hours..I did not wait that long...but you know...time is relative when you want something.. :)) ) he responded.
So I sent the order. 
I was relieved...the search was over...and I felt goood

But then I realized... the wait...oh the wait...2 more months...

Ah and guys I have a curiosity about a technical issue in cables. I see there are many silver plated copper cables. What is the purpose of those . If there is a layer of silver over the copper, wouldn't most of the signal go through the silver and the rest through the copper? Would the signal from the copper reach the endpoint in the same time as the signal going through the silver? Wouldn't it create a small distorsion in the signal? (i know that some distorsion in sound may create a euphonic effect which some like ).

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #2,018 of 10,312
Quote:
The first ever, two tone French Silk sleeving.

I had these made as a sample with some colors i had that i was not using, the final colors will be black/dark brown and black/dark red, also other combinations.

I like this a lot Frank!! 
Think I may just have my Copper Widow LOD done like this when I order it.
Yep I want an LOD soon too mate lol!!! :wink:

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #2,020 of 10,312
Man! Those french silk sleeving are hard to resist. Now if only it's made in black / brown it will be perfect for my LCD-3.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #2,021 of 10,312
does sleeving avaible for IEM cable?

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2,022 of 10,312
Frank,

Quote:
This would have been better posted in the DIY forum, not many here make their own cables, fortunately. 
biggrin.gif

If you just twist the wires, they will unravel. Imagine holding a steering wheel, one hand on the left of the wheel and the other on the right, replace the wheel with one piece of wire in each hand.
Now, you need to take the car around in a circle, turn the wheel all the way to the right, then swap the wires from one had to the other, then keep turning and swapping hand. After you are finished, the wires will not unravel, but to be even more certain of this, you can apply some heat to the twisted wires, this will form the wire in to place, just don't melt the sleeving.

That's really nice of you to explain this for JonnyW, and I hope he gets it, Frank, but now I want to understand it, and don't.  
redface.gif

I have one last question, please, and then I'll let it go (even if I still can't picture it):   When you wrote "turn the wheel all the way to the right," are you asking us to imagine rotating the wheel, 90-degrees to the right, 180-degrees, 360-degrees?

Thanks!

Mike

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #2,023 of 10,312
Quote:
Frank,

That's really nice of you to explain this for JonnyW, and I hope he gets it, Frank, but now I want to understand it, and don't.  
redface.gif

I have one last question, please, and then I'll let it go (even if I still can't picture it):   When you wrote "turn the wheel all the way to the right," are you asking us to imagine rotating the wheel, 90-degrees to the right, 180-degrees, 360-degrees?

Thanks!

Mike

You hold one of the two wires in each hand, then basically twist them around each other, so if you imagine holding a steering wheel with hands apart, you turn the wheel 180 degrees. when you done the 180 turn you swap the wires from one hand to the other, and you keep doing that. It's hard to explain but very easy to do. I too often see people holding both the wires in one hand and twisting them, this will come apart very quickly, i even know of someone who uses a drill to twist the wires.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #2,024 of 10,312
Hey Frank, u haz a PM xD

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #2,025 of 10,312
Quote:
You hold one of the two wires in each hand, then basically twist them around each other, so if you imagine holding a steering wheel with hands apart, you turn the wheel 180 degrees. when you done the 180 turn you swap the wires from one hand to the other, and you keep doing that. It's hard to explain but very easy to do. I too often see people holding both the wires in one hand and twisting them, this will come apart very quickly, i even know of someone who uses a drill to twist the wires.

Frank's favorite artist is Chubby Checker....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back