Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 25, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #9,241 of 10,312
Toxic Silver Widow 22 or Nordost Heimdal 2?

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #9,242 of 10,312
Guys, 8 SW24 or SW22 for the Custom Laylas?

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #9,243 of 10,312
  Guys, 8 SW24 or SW22 for the Custom Laylas?

I have the Toxic Cable Silver Widow 25 8-wire for JH Audio Layla if you are interested.

Oct 25, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #9,244 of 10,312

I have Heimdall 2 for all my HE1000, Audeze, HD800S and Utopia. Very good cable I'll have to say (enough for me to purchase multiple cables from them) but then you'll have to make sure that you can accept it's "chicken wire" built quality. I'm always worried about accidentally bending or damaging this thin 28AWG wire connected to my headphone.

Now for the same money I'll definitely give Toxic Cables a go...unless of course you can't wait for your custom cables to arrive. You won't go wrong with either one

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #9,245 of 10,312

waiting for Utopia to be shipped, then i will see if i will go with SW18 or Hydra 18, depend on which i want to improve more, Bass and Treble wise.

thanks to the feedback here i am leaning toward the Hydra for its Treble and Mids, the bass on it is good as well, not falling this far behind SW.

if Utopia's bass made me want to have more impact on the Bass then SW it is, but hoping it won't end up like that xD coming from HE-6 bass at least :p

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #9,246 of 10,312
waiting for Utopia to be shipped, then i will see if i will go with SW18 or Hydra 18, depend on which i want to improve more, Bass and Treble wise.

thanks to the feedback here i am leaning toward the Hydra for its Treble and Mids, the bass on it is good as well, not falling this far behind SW.

if Utopia's bass made me want to have more impact on the Bass then SW it is, but hoping it won't end up like that xD coming from HE-6 bass at least :p
sw18???? Did i miss something somewhere??? :p

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #9,247 of 10,312
sw18???? Did i miss something somewhere???
tongue.gif

Frank has been holding the best back from you mate. He said you already have far too many great cables 
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #9,248 of 10,312
Oct 25, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #9,249 of 10,312

I have Heimdall 2 for all my HE1000, Audeze, HD800S and Utopia. Very good cable I'll have to say (enough for me to purchase multiple cables from them) but then you'll have to make sure that you can accept it's "chicken wire" built quality. I'm always worried about accidentally bending or damaging this thin 28AWG wire connected to my headphone.

Now for the same money I'll definitely give Toxic Cables a go...unless of course you can't wait for your custom cables to arrive. You won't go wrong with either one

The Toxic SW22 is less than 2/3rds the price of the Heimdals and looks to be much better made imo  - perhaps it's just cosmetic but the options available with the Toxics (sleeving, y-splitters, termination alternatives - rhodium?) allow you to spec a far hardier and more personal headphone cable. If the sound quality is on a par, I reckon the Toxics represent the best quality and value. Going to order next week - unless someone comes on here and says the Heimdals blow the Toxics out of the water.

Oct 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #9,251 of 10,312
Oct 26, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #9,252 of 10,312
Just to give you an update on how I am finding my Hydra 18 IEM. I am still loving the sound of it but I think in the long run a Hydra 22 would have been a bit better despite the slightly lower level of comfort behind the ears. I am getting a bit frustrated with the main bulk of the cable which is mostly because it is only two cables twisted together so it has lots of stored elastic energy within the cable which a normal four way weaved cable doesn't have. This stored energy leads to the cable sticking out in odd shapes unless you put it on and twist each part in a specific manner which if you are trying to do at 5am when I get up for my commute into London or on the train home packed full of people can lead to some irritation. I don't know if anyone has any advice on how to avoid this problem but I am guessing not due to the design which I should have worked out myself really. Very tempted to sell the 18 and purchase a 22 instead as like I said before it is still the best matched cable for my K10s that I have tried. Hope this helps people make their decisions on what to buy.  

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #9,253 of 10,312
Oct 26, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #9,254 of 10,312
Just to give you an update on how I am finding my Hydra 18 IEM. I am still loving the sound of it but I think in the long run a Hydra 22 would have been a bit better despite the slightly lower level of comfort behind the ears. I am getting a bit frustrated with the main bulk of the cable which is mostly because it is only two cables twisted together so it has lots of stored elastic energy within the cable which a normal four way weaved cable doesn't have. This stored energy leads to the cable sticking out in odd shapes unless you put it on and twist each part in a specific manner which if you are trying to do at 5am when I get up for my commute into London or on the train home packed full of people can lead to some irritation. I don't know if anyone has any advice on how to avoid this problem but I am guessing not due to the design which I should have worked out myself really. Very tempted to sell the 18 and purchase a 22 instead as like I said before it is still the best matched cable for my K10s that I have tried. Hope this helps people make their decisions on what to buy.  
the sw22 is very flexible and light :wink: and sounds stunning

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #9,255 of 10,312
the sw22 is very flexible and light
wink.gif
and sounds stunning

I already had one and have another coming for my Ether Flows so I know that the SW22 is good but I thought the sound of the Hydra would complement the K10s better as they have a fair bit of bass already so didn't really need help in that department. The Hydra certainly matches better IMO just a shame about the aforementioned issue with its springiness (apparently that is a real word lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back