Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #5,402 of 10,312
Until now I have burnt in the BW for about 10 hrs and to satisfy my curiosity I make a quick comparison of the BW with my 18 AWG Scorpion.

I ran through a few of my favourite CDs and compared the SQ from both the BW and the Scorpion. THB I have difficulties to distinguish which cable is better than the other after listening carefully to my favourite CDs. The two cables almost perform exactly the same, however it appears to my ears that the BW has a very slight edge better in the atmosphere but that might only be my feeling.  I will continue to run in the BW and will then perform another detailed comparison track by track.  

Hope you can agree with me that the black heatshrink on the connectors look better 
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #5,403 of 10,312
Well, after burning in the BW for another 5-6 hours I carried out another detailed comparison with the Scorpion.  This time I pay more attention to the details of each track and can confirm that I have spotted some differences in SQ between the two cables.

The BW has marginally more extended high frequencies than the Scorpion while the Scorpion has marginally more low frequencies than the BW.  I am talking here about just very minor differences and if I have not listened to the two cables side by side there is no way I can hear any differences at all. 

It appears to me that the whole frequency spectrum of the BW has moved up by an order of tenths of Hz over the Scorpion thus making the two cables have slightly different characteristics. I believe this could have been caused by the slight differences in the cable's impedance.  I have to stress that if I was not comparing them side by side there is no way I can tell the minor differences.  In general terms the BW and the Scorpion perform almost the same.

With the above findings IMHO, relatively speaking, the SW should be more suitable for jazz and classical music while Scorpion should perform better on vocals.  I can conclude that relatively Scorpion's SQ is more tube like. Personally I like BW a bit more but my wife prefers the Scorpion.

I don't have the time to compare the BW with the SW but from my previous comparison of SW with the Scorpion in post number #4217 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread/4215#post_9632589) the conclusion still holds.

Dec 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #5,404 of 10,312
  Well, after burning in the BW for another 5-6 hours I carried out another detailed comparison with the Scorpion.  This time I pay more attention to the details of each track and can confirm that I have spotted some differences in SQ between the two cables.

The BW has marginally more extended high frequencies than the Scorpion while the Scorpion has marginally more low frequencies than the BW.  I am talking here about just very minor differences and if I have not listened to the two cables side by side there is no way I can hear any differences at all. 

It appears to me that the whole frequency spectrum of the BW has moved up by an order of tenths of Hz over the Scorpion thus making the two cables have slightly different characteristics. I believe this could have been caused by the slight differences in the cable's impedance.  I have to stress that if I was not comparing them side by side there is no way I can tell the minor differences.  In general terms the BW and the Scorpion perform almost the same.

With the above findings IMHO, relatively speaking, the SW should be more suitable for jazz and classical music while Scorpion should perform better on vocals.  I can conclude that relatively Scorpion's SQ is more tube like. Personally I like BW a bit more but my wife prefers the Scorpion.

I don't have the time to compare the BW with the SW but from my previous comparison of SW with the Scorpion in post number #4217 (http://www.head-fi.org/t/609155/toxic-cables-the-appreciation-thread/4215#post_9632589) the conclusion still holds.

thanks for your comparison! was a very nice read, i think the scorpion is for me. True that most people won't be able to compare like you, with two hd 800 side by side !!!

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #5,405 of 10,312

Burn the bw for at least 100hours and u will see the difference gets bigger and more noticable..15hours is to short to compare it to ur already burned in scorpion..as i have a bw and the bass goes deeeeeeppp and hits hard... But i have to say its completely balanced and has 8wires in it...that will help a bit i guess.. :wink:

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #5,406 of 10,312
Burn the bw for at least 100hours and u will see the difference gets bigger and more noticable..15hours is to short to compare it to ur already burned in scorpion..as i have a bw and the bass goes deeeeeeppp and hits hard... But i have to say its completely balanced and has 8wires in it...that will help a bit i guess..
wink.gif

Didn't Frank say 8 wire is overkill? I was very close in getting the 8 wire bw, but ended up selling my HE 500. Now I want a cable for my LCD 2, weirdly I find it bright and want some toxic copper to tame it ; )

What about a 8 wire scorpion :S

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #5,407 of 10,312
Didn't Frank say 8 wire is overkill? I was very close in getting the 8 wire bw, but ended up selling my HE 500. Now I want a cable for my LCD 2, weirdly I find it bright and want some toxic copper to tame it ; )

What about a 8 wire scorpion :S

He said it in a light of if u are on a budget and Dont have higher end stuff..its overkill to get a such a more expensive 8wire version compared to the regular bw.....but if u want the best copper cable he can make (except the copper venom) the 8wire bw is the way to go..its not darksounding as most of the copper cables..... For me going from 4wire single ended to 8wire balanced bw made a substantial difference in better soundstage, details and bass on my modified 337...
Ps..the brightness maybe comes from ur amp?

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #5,408 of 10,312
He said it in a light of if u are on a budget and Dont have higher end stuff..its overkill to get a such a more expensive 8wire version compared to the regular bw.....but if u want the best copper cable he can make (except the copper venom) the 8wire bw is the way to go..its not darksounding as most of the copper cables..... For me going from 4wire single ended to 8wire balanced bw made a substantial difference in better soundstage, details and bass on my modified 337...
Ps..the brightness maybe comes from ur amp?

I'm using the Soloist with the LCD 2, haven't used any other amp with it so wouldn't know! But it might be just me with my extra-sensitivity to high's XD

Would you say the 4 wire to 8 wire is substantial enough to justify the price difference?

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #5,409 of 10,312
I'm using the Soloist with the LCD 2, haven't used any other amp with it so wouldn't know! But it might be just me with my extra-sensitivity to high's XD

Would you say the 4 wire to 8 wire is substantial enough to justify the price difference?

In ur case i wouldnt know..i only heard the soloist with the he500 and didnt like the sound to much....it was a bit harsch and cold..bass was good though..so i am guessing thats what ur experiencing now also..and in that light i dont know if going from 4wire to 8wire would help u..as with me treble extension was around the same with the 4wire version and 8wire version..
Maybe u can try another amp if u want a warmer sound? A violectric v200 goes perfectly with a lcd2 v.2 i found out myself...and its a bit warmer then the solist..and u find them reguraly popping up in the confidentials here on headfi as second hand... Maybe a tip for u?

Or u can try a warmer sounding dac? Tube based (or a preamp option like a bottlehead quicky?) maybe?

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #5,410 of 10,312
hello,
i get some trouble with toxic cables.
i have oredered one westone 4R IEM with angle jack all on 30 spetembre more than 8 weeks ago and frank donghi doesn't reply to my emails since 9 novembre....... in did not see it coming.
i only wanted to know if it has been done and send ( if it's the case nothing arrived) or if i need to wait for it a little more.i want some informations please

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #5,411 of 10,312
Right.  Burning in for 100 hrs is my target.  But I cannot resist carrying out a comparison to see the differences and let folks know the outcome 
wink_face.gif
.  I am sure the bass department of the BW should improve after 100 hrs burning in.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #5,412 of 10,312
hello,
i get some trouble with toxic cables.
i have oredered one westone 4R IEM with angle jack all on 30 spetembre more than 8 weeks ago and frank donghi doesn't reply to my emails since 9 novembre....... in did not see it coming.
i only wanted to know if it has been done and send ( if it's the case nothing arrived) or if i need to wait for it a little more.i want some informations please

Thats weird..try to pm him here!! Am sure something goes wrong with ur mail or something... Pm him and put 'waiting for my ordered cable' in the subject. Maybe that helps. Good luck

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #5,414 of 10,312
In the past two years I did not have communication problem with Frank.  If you PM him normally one can get a reply in a week's time as Frank is always busy in making cables and will only check mails once or twice in a week 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back