Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #5,596 of 10,312
  Of course this lack of bass with the HD800s has been mentioned before.

I haven't a vast range of experience of different gear but I currently use HD800s. Initially I used a TEAC UD-h01 DAC with its headphone amp and stock cable with jack plug. I liked the sound and the bass was there but it was not enough to provide the bottom to most music that makes it more enjoyable.

I then got Toxic Silver Poison balanced cable and used it with a Headroom Blockhead amp (nine years old) plus the TEAC used just as a DAC. The Blockhead was noted for it's strong bass and indeed that is what I get. The high frequencies are also good but the mid range is a bit recessed at the moment, but then the Silver Poison only has a few hours on it and even then the mid range seems to be improving - or I'm getting used to it.

The point I'm making is that, from my limited experience, the bass on the HD800s can perhaps be improved by using another amp.

+1 on that.

I find the HD800's bass to be excellent. It might not have the bass weight like some other phones but it majors on bass control and speed while also having very good depth, Prat and impact.
It can easily become 'bass light' on any system that does not do bass properly but when the system does the bass is excellent.

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #5,597 of 10,312
  My LCD-X has now been running in for more than 50 hrs.  To satisfy my curiosity as to how good is this headphone I made a quick comparison of LCD-X (with stock cable) against HD800 (with BW cable) this afternoon.

I auditioned the two headphones using a number of my favourite CDs and the following is my initial quick findings.

CDP used is my heavily modded Marantz CD63 while the headphone amplifier is Yulong A18.

LCD-X                     HD800          
Easy to drive by amplifier                                X
Comfortable to wear                                                                    X
Bass                                                            X
Midrange purity                                             X                            
High Freq range                                                                          X
High resolution (details)                                                               X
sound staging                                                                             X
transparency                                                                              X
air and atmosphere                                                                      X
naturalness                                                   X
Rhythm and Pace                                           X
Focus                                                                                        X
Dynamics                                                                                   X 
Transient                                                                                   X
Body of music                                               X                                      

I found the HF of LCD-X is rolled off by a lot when compared with HD800 and as such a lot of HF details cannot be heard.
On the other hand the Bass and the midrange of LCD-X sound better than HD800 and the music is more musical, warm and with better body.

I have sent my SW for HD800 back to Frank for re-termination to LCD-X and hopefully with the SW the transparency and the high frequency can be much improved.  If that is the case and not withstanding the lesser sound staging and details, LCD-X should be ideal for vocals.

The above quick audition only reflects my impression on the overall performance of the two headphones.  When Frank has returned my SW I will make a more detail comparison between them. 

Preferring the rhythm & pace of the LCD-X to the HD800's has got interested.
Rhythm and pace are two of the strong points of the HD800's for me and outclasses the LCD2.2 in that regard, both with SW cables.

Would you say the main reason you prefer the LCD-X in this regard is because it has more bass or are there other reasons?

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #5,598 of 10,312
At this moment in time my preferred Headphone is still HD800 otherwise I would not have owned 2 pairs of HD800s at the same time.  Without doubt LCD-X is also a good pair of headphones but I found it lacks details in the HF area.  However when I have got the SW from Frank the situation might be changed 
rolleyes.gif

The result laid down in the comparison table of the two Headphones were just based on my impressions and liking after a quick audition. There is no doubt that different people will have different preferences.

I think the discussion is off topic and now we should go back to appreciate the Toxics.  I will compare the SW and the stock cable of LCD-X when I have received the SW from Frank.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #5,599 of 10,312
Certainly the SW's have improved the high frequency detail of my lcd 3's which doesn't say much for the stock cable that Audeze ships which produces an altogether darker sound.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #5,600 of 10,312
Thanks for everyone's feedback on the cables guys, really appreciate it and it's what keeps Toxic going.

We still have a bunch of cables in stock and ready to ship, so if you are looking for a cable for your headphones, let me know and i can tell you what i have left.

Still loads of 8ft SW for Audez'e left, 6ft are all gone.

We have a lot of other cables also, so skip the wait and get your cable as quick as the next day. 

Will be running some draws soon for my customers with some very nice prizes.

Anyone in the EU looking for HiFiMAN headphones, give me a shout and we can work out an unbeatable deal. Will try to match USA prices for some models.

Looking for Audio GD gear, get in touch and we will match the price of what it would cost you buying direct, no VAT or import taxes. This is for in-stock items only.  Our stock is also internally wired with my own OCC SPC wire.  We also have the only 3 remaining units of brand new Phoenix available anywhere.

We also have iBasso amps in stock and also the DX100. For anyone wanting to buy a DX100, we will match the cost of buying direct, which would actually cost you more as you would have to pay import duties,

Klutz headphone stands, 30% usual price.

Above offers are for this weekend only.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #5,601 of 10,312
^^ awesome that you have these giveaways. Been reading the thread after placing my order (probably not a good idea since the more I read the more I want to try) and noticed that you've had at least one other giveaway.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #5,602 of 10,312
  ^^ awesome that you have these giveaways. Been reading the thread after placing my order (probably not a good idea since the more I read the more I want to try) and noticed that you've had at least one other giveaway.

I like to give a little back to my customer for their support when i can. Without you guys, i would not be in business.

I have done quite a few this last year, which also included the one for our 1 year anniversary.

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #5,603 of 10,312
  I like to give a little back to my customer for their support when i can. Without you guys, i would not be in business.

I have done quite a few this last year, which also included the one for our 1 year anniversary.

I should have clarified that I was only reading through pages 100 something and there were already giveaways. Good stuff ! 

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #5,606 of 10,312
My balanced SP for HD650 arrived :)  only problem is I havent found time to sit back, relax and listen!!!    Very nice looking cable though and well crafted.    I am very happy so far and looking forward to a test listen tonight. 

Thanks Frank.   And thanks for sending to my new address.....was late notice on my part!!

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #5,607 of 10,312
Looking forward to my new batch to arrive.
Will get pics and feelings up as and when they do :)

p.s. Frank will you or can you stock the DX50?

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #5,608 of 10,312
got my new aurisonic asg2 and I'm thinking about a cable upgrade and a toxic would seem to be the only way to go....any recommendations as to which one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back