Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 31, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #5,581 of 10,312
A bit oftopic..but wanted to share the first pics of my new amp to which franks cables will be connected to..this is the amp why i asked frank to make those very special dual mono balanced black widows with dual 3pin xlr :D

Hope frank dont mind..am soooo jumping up and down now..first news of existence of my new amp :D

The pics show the main amp case (with blue and green colors and stainless back), the others show the case for the seperated powersupply/transformer case..only my powersupply/transformer casing will be totally black with black glossy front instead of brushless stainless steel, with similiar insides.it will pump out at least 5w into 50ohm. The main case will have stainless steel cover just like its backside...look at the thickess of the stainless steel board on that back! :rolleyes:

So u see frank..this amp is, together with my new limited edition Referencesounds CODE-X HE5 phone, going to make ur wonderfull cables shine on many future audio meetings around europe..and in my home ofcourse :D

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #5,583 of 10,312

A bit oftopic..but wanted to share the first pics of my new amp to which franks cables will be connected to..this is the amp why i asked frank to make those very special dual mono balanced black widows with dual 3pin xlr
biggrin.gif

Hope frank dont mind..am soooo jumping up and down now..first news of existence of my new amp
biggrin.gif

The pics show the main amp case (with blue and green colors and stainless back), the others show the case for the seperated powersupply/transformer case..only my case will be totally black with black glossy front, with similiar insides.it will pump out at least 5w into 50ohm. The main case will have stainless steel cover just like its backside...look at the thickess of the stainless steel board on that back!
rolleyes.gif

So u see frank..this amp is, together with my new code-x he5 phone, going to make ur wonderfull cables shine on many future audio meetings around europe..and in my home ofcourse
biggrin.gif

beast of an amp rookie! It'll be delicious with your he5 for sure with that kind of power! And ofc those bw beauties
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #5,584 of 10,312
Happy new year to the toxic cable family :D

Dec 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #5,586 of 10,312
Happy new year my friends!!! :beerchug:

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #5,587 of 10,312
Dec 31, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #5,588 of 10,312
Happy new year everyone. Payment sent, joining the toxic cable crew soon!

Dec 31, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #5,590 of 10,312
U 2 frank...hope 2014 will be an even better year for u (and ur family ofcourse!) then 2013 was :wink:

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #5,591 of 10,312
Decided to go with the future proof 4 xlr pin and the 1/4 adapter. I'm actually not sure when I'm going to upgrade the amp either.. the money isn't necessarily the issue (been saving up), I just want to make sure that I get something that I will truly enjoy. So I want to try the amps in person at meets or what not.

Hope you get a chance to hear the Linnenberg Spa1

Jan 1, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #5,592 of 10,312
My LCD-X has now been running in for more than 50 hrs.  To satisfy my curiosity as to how good is this headphone I made a quick comparison of LCD-X (with stock cable) against HD800 (with BW cable) this afternoon.

I auditioned the two headphones using a number of my favourite CDs and the following is my initial quick findings.

CDP used is my heavily modded Marantz CD63 while the headphone amplifier is Yulong A18.

LCD-X                     HD800          
Easy to drive by amplifier                                X
Comfortable to wear                                                                    X
Bass                                                            X
Midrange purity                                             X                            
High Freq range                                                                          X
High resolution (details)                                                               X
sound staging                                                                             X
transparency                                                                              X
air and atmosphere                                                                      X
naturalness                                                   X
Rhythm and Pace                                           X
Focus                                                                                        X
Dynamics                                                                                   X 
Transient                                                                                   X
Body of music                                               X                                      

I found the HF of LCD-X is rolled off by a lot when compared with HD800 and as such a lot of HF details cannot be heard.
On the other hand the Bass and the midrange of LCD-X sound better than HD800 and the music is more musical, warm and with better body.

I have sent my SW for HD800 back to Frank for re-termination to LCD-X and hopefully with the SW the transparency and the high frequency can be much improved.  If that is the case and not withstanding the lesser sound staging and details, LCD-X should be ideal for vocals.

The above quick audition only reflects my impression on the overall performance of the two headphones.  When Frank has returned my SW I will make a more detail comparison between them. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #5,594 of 10,312
  My LCD-X has now been running in for more than 50 hrs.  To satisfy my curiosity as to how good is this headphone I made a quick comparison of LCD-X (with stock cable) against HD800 (with BW cable) this afternoon.

I auditioned the two headphones using a number of my favourite CDs and the following is my initial quick findings.

CDP used is my heavily modded Marantz CD63 while the headphone amplifier is Yulong A18.

On the other hand the Bass and the midrange of LCD-X sound better than HD800 and the music is more musical, warm and with better body.

Of course this lack of bass with the HD800s has been mentioned before.

I haven't a vast range of experience of different gear but I currently use HD800s. Initially I used a TEAC UD-h01 DAC with its headphone amp and stock cable with jack plug. I liked the sound and the bass was there but it was not enough to provide the bottom to most music that makes it more enjoyable.

I then got Toxic Silver Poison balanced cable and used it with a Headroom Blockhead amp (nine years old) plus the TEAC used just as a DAC. The Blockhead was noted for it's strong bass and indeed that is what I get. The high frequencies are also good but the mid range is a bit recessed at the moment, but then the Silver Poison only has a few hours on it and even then the mid range seems to be improving - or I'm getting used to it.

The point I'm making is that, from my limited experience, the bass on the HD800s can perhaps be improved by using another amp.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #5,595 of 10,312
Hi Frank, need a reply on an urgent PM.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back