Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 1, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #421 of 10,312
  Well i am very pleased to say that my cable has arrived. It is beautiful looking and is superbly made.. I had a brief listening session last night and noticed a light change in the sound over the course of a couple of hours... Cable burning in or my brain burning in ? .. not sure which but it is a definite improvement over my previous Silver cable...

Thanks Frank for your excellent service and a terrific product,

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #422 of 10,312
Gratuitous TC reference in another thread.....
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617241/audioquest-dragonfly-review-affordable-outstanding-tiny-dac-amp/510#post_8662536

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #423 of 10,312
My balanced Silver Poison HE6 cable arrived on Thursday and it has around 15 hours burn in so far.

I have had headphone cables before, Equinox and Silver Dragon for my long gone HD650's, ALO cable for Ultrasone ALO-780's and currenly use the TWAG2 cable on my LCD2.2's but I have never heard the quality of improvements the SP has made to the HE6's.

I have always wondered if my Master-6 really had the power to drive the HE6's fully because they never sounded like I have read many times. They have always sounded warm,laid back but also somewhat congested and lacking energy. Exactly the opposite that I would of expected given other peoples experiences especially as I use almost exclusively pure silver cables in my system ( yes I love silver cables! )

However now the SP has replaced the only weak link in the chain and the HE6's have exploded into life. Suddenly there's life and energy,clarity and detail to die for.
The soundstage had opened up considerably. From hour 1 the congested feeling I had has completely gone. The sound now sounds completely free and dynamically unrestricted. Bass does not seem to be any deeper but is clearly faster, tighter and more dynamic. High frequencies now soar from the mix without harshness where before they were quite muted. I now know the Master-6 is without a doubt a stunning amp for the HE6's.

The HE6's were my 3rd choice phone after the LCD2.2 and Beyer T1 but now without doing a direct comparison I would put it above the T1's which I also love and level with the LCD2.2 which are truly stunning with the NFB-7/Master-6.
I was thinking of selling the HE6's to help finance another amp (not a Master-6 replacement) but they are now going nowhere. I was thinking of trying a speaker amp, not any more!

Its hard to imaging a cable replacement making this much of a difference, certainly none of the other cables I have ever tried (with the possible exception of the TWAG because I never compared it to the original) have made anywhere near this level of improvements.
The stock HE6 cable is certainly a weak link, a bottleneck to maximun performance of the HE6's especially when a high quality DAC and amp with plenty of power is used. The Silver Poison is transparent enough to let ALL the quality of my dac/amp through and I love it!
Now if only I had a SP cable for my LCD's to compare to my TWAG2!

Thanks Frank for a great cable.

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #425 of 10,312
Purchased some toxic viper cables for my 650's about a month ago and I've been so busy enjoying them I completely forgot to post a review.
The difference in the toxics from stock is immediately heard and they've gotten better with usage.
They are beautifully designed cables that bring a much needed quality feel to the 650's.
I can't recommend them enough and frank is a real professional. Will always answer your emails in a timely fashion.. My order was exactly what I wanted.
Thanks again..

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #426 of 10,312
Quote:
I have to say, early impressions of the Silver Poison are great, a hugely cliched term when it comes to Sennheisers, however I swear that listening to Frank's cable, compared to the stock cable. that a veil has been lifted across the whole tone, especially - to me, being very mid-centric, in the mids where they sound more alive - although the very first clear difference I heard was more treble definition / bite / clarity...

This is with only a few hours on the clock, so the real test / opinions will come in a couple of weeks time - However, I cannot imagine my impressions will degrade between now and then,

I deliberately haven't mentioned soundstage at this time, as I am still pretty darned new to the HD800s as it is, so will need to A/B when I'm fully accustomed to them to hear if I can hear a difference in soundstage as well as tonal balance / power....

I guess, in the case of the HD800, that it must definitely be considered that Sennheiser charge the same, if not slightly more money for a replacement stock cable than what Frank charges for the Silver Poison - with that in mind, and knowing that most of us here are tweakers - this cable to me is a no-brainer...

It is funny that when I bought the WireWorld Ultraviolet I was scorning spending £50 on a USB cable, and now here I am with a custom headphone cable - in both instances differences were noted, for the better - so - a happy camper all around :D

[Edit] Frank - I wonder why I was up half the night, lol - might be something to do with having a new cable to play with lol - Thanks again for your stellar customer service!

Thanks for the first impressions, Duncan. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say after a couple of weeks listening.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #427 of 10,312
Afraid I have to disagree with you here "transformed" is IMHO rather an over the top adjective.
I'm not saying that different cables and valves dont make a difference, but in my opinion it is fairly subtle, although in some cases worth while.
The prices charged for some of this stuff by some manufacturers, like some interconnects can only be described as obscene and is just Foo.

At least the Toxic products seem to be good quality and value for money
Quote:
Amuses me when i read that people say spending money on cables is a waste of time. A good headphone can be transformed into something great, with the right cable. Same with a tube amplifier - get the right tubes and the sound is transformed.
Everything in the link has to be good to get the most from it. Simple rule of thumb.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #428 of 10,312
Quote:
Afraid I have to disagree with you here "transformed" is IMHO rather an over the top adjective.
I'm not saying that different cables and valves dont make a difference, but in my opinion it is fairly subtle, although in some cases worth while.
The prices charged for some of this stuff by some manufacturers, like some interconnects can only be described as obscene and is just Foo.

Foo is my cats name!

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #429 of 10,312
Unfortunately due to the fact that university takes precedence over Head-Fi (I would beg to differ, but facts are facts) I am relinquishing ownership of my Silver Poison Silver/Gold alloy cable made by Frank.  With all respect due to Frank and the amazing craftsmanship on his cable, I was only able to use it as eye candy because I was unable to create the funds to purchase a CIEM (I was a little bit trigger happy :p).  If I ever decide to purchase another after-market cable I'll definitely choose Toxic Cables again as the service and craftsmanship were top notch.

The cable was not used at all, PM for details.

I am in no way selling this cable because I was dissatisfied with the product or service but rather due to money issues.

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #430 of 10,312
Quote:

Quote:

Foo is my cats name!

Some Foo for thought there.. (yes really bad I know.. but I have to get my post count up somehow if I'm to be a headphone supremus before the next milenium
biggrin.gif
)

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #431 of 10,312
Quote:

Some Foo for thought there.. (yes really bad I know.. but I have to get my post count up somehow if I'm to be a headphone supremus before the next milenium
biggrin.gif
)

Arrrgh!....
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #432 of 10,312
Hello Duncan

I am also new to the HD800 and am curious if you have any additional feedback about the Poison cable you bought from Toxic Cables.
Especially what the differences are to the stock cable.

My current impression is that the seems to be some kind of veil (very subtle) in the soundstage. I wounder if this could be improved with this cable.

Many thanks

Mikel

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #434 of 10,312
Quote:
Hey Frank when are you going to get your website up to date with all these IEM cables prices etc? Do you do a silver Poison/ copper dual hybrid cable?

Sorry, i am having a new website made, the company is just waiting for me to provide them with pictures and descriptions so they can complete it. I have not had the time recently to do all this, and hope to have the new site up and running in the next 4 weeks, you can contact me for the IEM cable prices if you need to know them, or anything else.

I have an 8 wire Silver Poison/Scorpion cable available, or are you referring to a 4 wire version?

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #435 of 10,312
Quote:
Hello Duncan

I am also new to the HD800 and am curious if you have any additional feedback about the Poison cable you bought from Toxic Cables.
Especially what the differences are to the stock cable.

My current impression is that the seems to be some kind of veil (very subtle) in the soundstage. I wounder if this could be improved with this cable.

Many thanks

Mikel

Hi Mikel,

Yes, I would say there is a subtle difference in soundstage / soundscape between the Silver Poison, and the stock cable - it isn't as big a difference as say a speaker setup and toeing in, and then out, but definitely there - opens up the sound that little bit more, and makes the whole experience that little bit more enjoyable :)

Oh, btw - welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!!! 
beerchug.gif

(As mentioned in my past post, further - more formal impressions will be coming soon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back