Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #437 of 10,312
Hello Duncan
Thanks for your feedback.

And year, the wallet is indeed a bit lighter...... :wink:
But I think the HD800 is really worth it.

The cable I am looking for should take away some of the treble harshness.
So for example, if I would go for a copper cable, I fear loosing some of the nice detail.
So a silver cable seems (like the Silver Poison) seems like a good choice for the HD800.

I will wait for the cable purchase and hope to hear soon back from you with further feedback about the cable :)

Cheers, Mikel

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #438 of 10,312
Mikel,

In terms of the treble, as I noted in my initial impressions (which are - at this time, still valid), there is extra treble detail (that was the very first thing I noticed) - However, the cable (any cable) will not take away from a bad recording (Nirvana's Nevermind springs to mind as an album I would love to love but cannot!)...

Do you have any particular tracks in mind that you are very familiar with, that I can A/B with an element of authority, rather than very mild analogies that don't really mean much?

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #439 of 10,312
There is generally a treble issue which is well known with the HD800 and I dont think any type of cable will fix the issue.  In fact I would expect a silver based cable to exacerbate the problem rather than make it better!
They also need careful matching with amplifier and source too as I know to my own cost 
mad.gif

These might help 
smile.gif

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/diy-modification-sennheiser-hd-800-anaxilus-mod

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800B.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/brilliant-sennheiser-hd-800

Quote:
Hello Duncan
Thanks for your feedback.

And year, the wallet is indeed a bit lighter...... :wink:
But I think the HD800 is really worth it.

The cable I am looking for should take away some of the treble harshness.
So for example, if I would go for a copper cable, I fear loosing some of the nice detail.
So a silver cable seems (like the Silver Poison) seems like a good choice for the HD800.

I will wait for the cable purchase and hope to hear soon back from you with further feedback about the cable :)

Cheers, Mikel

Quote:
Mikel,

In terms of the treble, as I noted in my initial impressions (which are - at this time, still valid), there is extra treble detail (that was the very first thing I noticed) - However, the cable (any cable) will not take away from a bad recording (Nirvana's Nevermind springs to mind as an album I would love to love but cannot!)...

Do you have any particular tracks in mind that you are very familiar with, that I can A/B with an element of authority, rather than very mild analogies that don't really mean much?

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #440 of 10,312
Regarding the treble what I found so far:
In most good recordings, especially SACD or HDtracks, I do not find much or hardly any harsh treble.

One exception maybe: The SACD version of Michael Jacksons Thriller sounds quite bright in general. There the treble is quite a bit on the heavier side. But maybe that is just the way that album was mastered and it's supposed to sound this way.

I agree that a cable cannot change the character of the headphone but just slightly smooth out the percepted treble.

Maybe I am asking for the impossible?

Isn't detail by a good deal created by treble as well? That would mean that a cable providing more detail would in a way also aggravate a potential treble problem.

For me when talking about cables, the most interesting information is how a certain cable compares to the stock cable.

@ Duncan
I hope I will find some time this evening to find some more examples. However I believe it could well be that all examples I find might be bad recordings in the first place and the HD800 is showing exactly that.

Cheers, Mikel

Edit:
Ok, here are some tracks that sound almost harsh:

Paul Hardcastle - Rainforest
Ayreon - And the Druids turn to Stone
Air- Le Voyage the Penelope
Air - Talisman
Basically the whole album of air is really treble heavy....

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #441 of 10,312
Just got the copper and silver+copper cables yesterday after getting a silver one from toxic cable. Absolutely pleasure dealing with Frank again. Very responsive and indeed helpful! Besides, the cables looks stylish with great finish.

Just find out they not only sell cables, don't be fooled by the name of the company, since I just ordered a DX100 DAP with him (so I can escape some tax and long waiting) ! Strongly recommended if you want the top gears in UK!

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #442 of 10,312
Quote:
Just got the copper and silver+copper cables yesterday after getting a silver one from toxic cable. Absolutely pleasure dealing with Frank again. Very responsive and indeed helpful! Besides, the cables looks stylish with great finish.

Just find out they not only sell cables, don't be fooled by the name of the company, since I just ordered a DX100 DAP with him (so I can escape some tax and long waiting) ! Strongly recommended if you want the top gears in UK!

X2

Absolutely. To be frank, we need more suppliers like Frank in the uk, quite frankly.

Joking aside, its soooo true! the uk has been crying out for suppliers.

Frank you. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #444 of 10,312

How much does the DX cost if bought within Europe?

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #445 of 10,312
Sep 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #446 of 10,312
I've been waiting until my Silver Poison for my HD800s has burned in completely, but I can say for sure the treble fatigue from the stock is gone. There are certainly other improvements, but I think it's best to wait to be fair. It does seem to keep getting better :)

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #449 of 10,312
i had just ordered an silver poison cable for ie80 from frank. Cant wait to get it
smile.gif
and thanks frank for the great customer service.

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #450 of 10,312
This thread is getting big ~~
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back