Toucan and Boomslang (IBasso Audio) Balanced Review Thread
Aug 16, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #91 of 330
Thanks HiFlight. Minds are more clear now..

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #92 of 330
HiFlight/Ron, thanks for the review/comparison.
(I also see the extented dynamics, cleaner sound, firmer bass when going from SE to balanced on the PB1.)

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #93 of 330
I managed to try th PB1 yesterday. My impression only on SE, not able to try the balanced.

Overall result PB1 give me a smooth top, full body, punchy bass, warm bottom, good soundstage. For certain song the bass is too impactful for my liking, maybe not really suitable for TF10. Compare with D10, the sibilance is more easily spot.

I still prefer my D10 with topkit. As a result, I will hold on my D10 for sometime.

Aug 19, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #94 of 330
how do you open up the hirose connector for soldering? it came with three pieces: the main silver connector with a slightly retractable hood, a gold wire wrap, and a black sheathing. are there instructions or a tutorial somewhere? thanks.

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #95 of 330
Attach it to a female hirose connector, use that to hold it in place while you unscrew the retractable hood/tail section from it.  Just stick it on there and unscrew from the back (not the free spinning retractable part)...  reverse the procedure to re-attach.  I believe they have some sort of rig to disassemble them that costs too much, but if you have access to a PB1 then just stick it on there and unscrew.

Aug 19, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #96 of 330
     Quote:
Attach it to a female hirose connector, use that to hold it in place while you unscrew the retractable hood/tail section from it.  Just stick it on there and unscrew from the back (not the free spinning retractable part)...  reverse the procedure to re-attach.  I believe they have some sort of rig to disassemble them that costs too much, but if you have access to a PB1 then just stick it on there and unscrew.

thanks!

Aug 20, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #97 of 330
From what I see the 6 metal connectors are so close to each other... you really need a steady hand to solder it. :)

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #98 of 330
I use a "3rd Hand" to hold the pin housing and leads while soldering.  The Hirose inline pins are much easier to solder than the 90 degree pins in the Protector plastic connector.  A head-mounted magnifier also is a great help.  Lightly tinning the pins prior to soldering the 4 leads also makes for a quicker "on & off" with your iron.

One might consider sacrificing one of your connectors for practice prior to attempting a complete interconnect.  It is important to get your iron on and off quickly to avoid burning back the insulation on the lead wires.  The more bare wire, the greater the chance for a short when reassembling the connector. 

As with any skill, practice is *very* beneficial. 

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #99 of 330
Boomslang offer is online on iBasso site
http://www.ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=61

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #102 of 330
Aug 27, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #105 of 330
JH13- toucan/ ttvj slim/ protector/ ALO Rx?

I'm pairing my JH13s with an iPod Nano 4G and the result is a very bright sound. which amp offers a mellow/warm sound? heard that the toucan can offer almost everything that the protector can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back