Totally insane quality for a totally insane price.....The Etymotic mc5 mini review.
Dec 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #301 of 318
Quote:
... but I hated the MC5 so much that I sold it shortly after buying them even though I got a great price. I remember them being somewhat similar but there was something off in the MC5 for me.

Looks like you're not the only one.
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #302 of 318

Quote:
Quote:
... but I hated the MC5 so much that I sold it shortly after buying them even though I got a great price. I remember them being somewhat similar but there was something off in the MC5 for me.

wink.gif

Harsh review from DFKT .i really like his style.no ballshit and straight to the point.Thanks for the review.
i have to disagree with what he said about the mc5 being muddy.it is quite good in its clarity although nothing to write home about.vocals also sound good on it.i tried amping it with my wa6 but i didnt notice anything significant.

the cable is absolutly terrible.its trash.ibuds cable is better than the mc5 cable.very microphonic with terrible quality.
i have to admit,i dont use my mc5.i also dont like them or their sound signature.my biggest issue with them is the terrible cable,wind noise and the soundstage with no depth.i only use them 2 hours a week during my bus ride.

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #303 of 318

Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

Ah. I was wondering how he thought of the MC5 since I saw it on the portable rig pic thread recently. Looks like he doesn't like some of the earphones you have been lending him :p Although considering your preference and complaint against BA I'm surprised you bought one of the most BA sounding dynamic I've ever heard if not the most.

Dec 13, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #304 of 318
^ Well, I bought them about the same time as you and from earlier impressions in this thread I didn't expect them to sound like that. Funny I also bought the similar priced Vivanco Aircoustic Studio Monitors at about the same time, which are single BA and have a significantly more satisfying sound signature in my book.

I wouldn't even call the MC5 very BA-like. My main gripes with BA are unrealistic bass texture and timbre, whereas the MC5 remind me more of a RE0 with tuned down highs than of BAs. I realize that some folks may like this kind of sound, but for my taste they're just too dull and lifeless - so they'll most probably end up co-starring in my next giveaway thread.
wink.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #305 of 318
As I've mentioned before I find the treble incredibly fit-dependent, which might account for the widely divergent opinions. When I get the fit (with the large triflanges) right, which took a little while to learn to do consistently, they sound just right to me (and I'm a Grado fan, no lover of rolled-off treble.)

P.S. This review pretty much describes what I'm hearing: http://www.topreviewshop.com/etymotic_mc5_earphones

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #306 of 318
Can't say I have any fit issue with MC5, but I still don't think it is a particularly great sounding IEM, at least not in its price range. 'Uninspiring' is what I'll describe my experience with MC5 - good overall package with uninspiring sound - just my POV of course.

Dec 16, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #307 of 318

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

Ah. I was wondering how he thought of the MC5 since I saw it on the portable rig pic thread recently. Looks like he doesn't like some of the earphones you have been lending him :p Although considering your preference and complaint against BA I'm surprised you bought one of the most BA sounding dynamic I've ever heard if not the most.

I was hoping for an ER4S w/ dynamic driver character.  Instead I got a dynamic driver that sounded like the worst Ety BA I've heard.  

Quote:
I wouldn't even call the MC5 very BA-like. My main gripes with BA are unrealistic bass texture and timbre, whereas the MC5 remind me more of a RE0 with tuned down highs than of BAs. I realize that some folks may like this kind of sound, but for my taste they're just too dull and lifeless - so they'll most probably end up co-starring in my next giveaway thread.
wink.gif

I agree but BAs also tend to have a characteristic thinness that both the RE0 and MC5 have.  So I relate to Rawrster's impression.  

Quote:
Can't say I have any fit issue with MC5, but I still don't think it is a particularly great sounding IEM, at least not in its price range. 'Uninspiring' is what I'll describe my experience with MC5 - good overall package with uninspiring sound - just my POV of course.

Though the Sensorcoms helped the treble on the MC5 I agree as well on the overall sound.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #309 of 318
Most Kanen's eartip would probabaly be either too big or too short for MC5.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #310 of 318
Maybe, but http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/510261/totally-insane-quality-for-a-totally-insane-price-the-etymotic-mc5-mini-review/60#post_6927149 this one is a Kanen. Sadly that model isn't available anymore on focalprice.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #311 of 318
Jan 31, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #312 of 318

goodvibes said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

It would be interesting to face these off against the HF5. I thought the HF5 also warmer and more balanced than 4s but obviously not as fast, etched or crispy. I'd opt for the HF5 for portables. I wonder how the lower distortion of a BA will balance against the harmonic character of a still clean ET Dynamic.

Found one. http://www.head-fi.org/products/etymotic-mc5/reviews

It's very useful, Now I have a more clear idea about it.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #315 of 318
So now I think I can say... I'm kinda committed to MC5 sound & my ears have used to them too cause I love their sound. I really do. Detailed high ends & mids, but now I say even bass is there. I listen to breakbeat, dubstep, drum & bass... and I hear the whole sound... bass is not bumpin humpin, but it looks I like it on in-ears. When I listen to PL-50, or anything cheaper that MC5... I don't like it at all! I must say... Etymotic detail is highly addictive!!! For the money these are really stunning!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back