Topping E70 Velvet DAC Review, Measurements and Comparisons
Aug 9, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #106 of 110
Well, on my local "audiophile" forum (semi-amateur) they were so adamant that if I have such an expensive setup, just buy a new USB cable, because if the USB cable is not high quality, then jitter or other noise may transfer into the DAC and eventually into your headphones.
This is why most audio communities are more like cults......

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #107 of 110
Hi, did you end up comparing them? If so, could you share your impressions on the differences between them if any?

I got the E70V and overall did not like it paired with my Singxer SA-1, granted I did not give it any time to observe any break-in effect, but it sounded kinda artificial to me, the way it popped specific detail in the highs/upper mids. Almost like the sound presentation was not uniform, and that part of the frequency response was constantly popping out and bothering me, not with fatigue, but with its tone/dryness compared to the rest of the spectrum.
Bass sounded good but was not enough of a difference compared to what I already have, at least in my chain.

In comparison, my Topping E50 ( with Allo Shanti power supply) while slightly more analytical/fatiguing sounds pretty uniform in its presentation, as in nothing odd or unexpected pops out.
Could it have changed radically after some hours of playback?
Anyways, I want to try the Topping E70 or SMSL D300 next, looking for non fatiguing sound with decent impact, we'll see how it turns out.

There is common thread that is appearing in that both of these dacs should be given an adequate break-in/burn-in time. I would think that 48 hours would be the minimum. I have always liked the listening experience of AKM dacs over ESS. I always found the ESS sounding a bit harsh and too digital in the upper mids and highs. Most noticeable sometime as sibilance. I may be spoiled or "ruined" as I have been a lifelong listener of tube amplifiers and preamps. I defiantly prefer AKM in personal digital audio players and when implemented correctly always make my IEM's sound smoother and more liquid sounding. Sometimes the "detail" and "texture"that some use to applaud the sound is nowhere to be found in the master recordings. So... I'm a bit amazed that the there is a lot of talk here that the E70 (ESS is smoother) and the E70V is more detailed and textured??? Leaves me scratching my head. Since all of us are now reading the reviews and some are saying "I heard that, etc,etc... when in fact no one reading the review can actually say or prove they heard what the writer is describing (no fault of the reviewer as he is presenting a SUBJECTIVE review and description in the best words he can find to describe one of our senses (hearing) by using a visual (printed) or aural (language) means. Truth be known is that most of us will NEVER hear the same things as described even though we may think we do, in order to justify the purchase. In our individual homes, with different systems, different rooms and with our own personal hearing response curves, if we are comparing similar priced DAC's by respected manufacturers and if the implementation of the DAC is completely transparent, there is probably not enough of a difference for the majority of people to hear. It would be the same as expecting everyone listening to music to have perfect pitch.

Both of these DAC's should give phenomenal performance for the money and most of us will not have the same setup as the reviewer. Here is how I might suggest going about choosing a piece of equipment like this:

Look at dacs with good specs, look at the features, the connections, the ease of use, etc.
Obviously rule out those that have strange quirks or performance (failure) issues.
How long has the manufacturer been in business and what is their warranty?
Do they have phone # for support or issues - if not - a good reason to buy from a reseller with proven track record and return privilege.
Pick three that are in your budget. Find a reseller that will allow you to audition or have a return window of at least 30 days.
Pick 3 or YOUR favorite songs that you know well.
Listen to the unit for 3 days at the most. Take a day off, switch to another model or give your ears a break.
After listening to two of the three models, eliminate one... send it back.
Start over with the remaining two units - begin with the one not yet listened to.

After you make your final choice, return the other. Sit back, enjoy and listen to the MUSIC... not the equipment. No ones listens to DAC's ... it's the music that matters.

As a final thought.... How may of the readers and posters here have purchased either of these E70 models? Which one? And how do you like it? Do you plan on keeping it or stay on the hamster wheel of constant upgrades? This is the info that would really be helpful.

Let me know what you think... and by all means... Enjoy The Music!

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #110 of 110
There is common thread that is appearing in that both of these dacs should be given an adequate break-in/burn-in time. I would think that 48 hours would be the minimum. I have always liked the listening experience of AKM dacs over ESS. I always found the ESS sounding a bit harsh and too digital in the upper mids and highs. Most noticeable sometime as sibilance. I may be spoiled or "ruined" as I have been a lifelong listener of tube amplifiers and preamps. I defiantly prefer AKM in personal digital audio players and when implemented correctly always make my IEM's sound smoother and more liquid sounding. Sometimes the "detail" and "texture"that some use to applaud the sound is nowhere to be found in the master recordings. So... I'm a bit amazed that the there is a lot of talk here that the E70 (ESS is smoother) and the E70V is more detailed and textured??? Leaves me scratching my head. Since all of us are now reading the reviews and some are saying "I heard that, etc,etc... when in fact no one reading the review can actually say or prove they heard what the writer is describing (no fault of the reviewer as he is presenting a SUBJECTIVE review and description in the best words he can find to describe one of our senses (hearing) by using a visual (printed) or aural (language) means. Truth be known is that most of us will NEVER hear the same things as described even though we may think we do, in order to justify the purchase. In our individual homes, with different systems, different rooms and with our own personal hearing response curves, if we are comparing similar priced DAC's by respected manufacturers and if the implementation of the DAC is completely transparent, there is probably not enough of a difference for the majority of people to hear. It would be the same as expecting everyone listening to music to have perfect pitch.

Both of these DAC's should give phenomenal performance for the money and most of us will not have the same setup as the reviewer. Here is how I might suggest going about choosing a piece of equipment like this:

Look at dacs with good specs, look at the features, the connections, the ease of use, etc.
Obviously rule out those that have strange quirks or performance (failure) issues.
How long has the manufacturer been in business and what is their warranty?
Do they have phone # for support or issues - if not - a good reason to buy from a reseller with proven track record and return privilege.
Pick three that are in your budget. Find a reseller that will allow you to audition or have a return window of at least 30 days.
Pick 3 or YOUR favorite songs that you know well.
Listen to the unit for 3 days at the most. Take a day off, switch to another model or give your ears a break.
After listening to two of the three models, eliminate one... send it back.
Start over with the remaining two units - begin with the one not yet listened to.

After you make your final choice, return the other. Sit back, enjoy and listen to the MUSIC... not the equipment. No ones listens to DAC's ... it's the music that matters.

As a final thought.... How may of the readers and posters here have purchased either of these E70 models? Which one? And how do you like it? Do you plan on keeping it or stay on the hamster wheel of constant upgrades? This is the info that would really be helpful.

Let me know what you think... and by all means... Enjoy The Music!
I've got the E70 since a year or so back? Either way I've paired it with an L70 and it sounds fantastic. I'm firmly in the "rather spend on headphones"-camp though; I don't hear any difference between DACs/amps that were designed to forward 1s and 0s (most/all Chi-fi products seem to fall into this category as far as I reckon) without purposely modifying them. To be fair I didn't try a lot of them (5?); I would like to try the E70V for that reason; maybe I'm wrong? However, can't justify such an expense especially as I'm happy with what I've got. Enjoying and not worrying too much about it is better imo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back