Topping D50
Aug 5, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #811 of 1,054
I won't argue that a Linear Power Supply is better than a switcher. My question is how much of an audible difference can a 'better' LPS like the Topping P50 ($119) really have over something like a Jameco wall-wart LPS ($15). Where is the point of diminishing returns when a 'better' LPS is used with a $250 DAC? :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #815 of 1,054
Yes, some issues. The one I have right now is how to make the Raspberry USB output work to feed the Topping.

For some reason no sound comes out of it.

The PiCorePlayer configuration is done through the web, and one thing you can select is your audio output.

Only a few Raspberry plugable DACs are listed, but there's an "USB audio" output you can select. That's what I did.

The results was no sound.

I did change to "Analog audio" output, and connected the Raspberry headphone socket to the power amp, and the audio was there alright.

So I wonder what might be happening.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #816 of 1,054
OK, I could solve that problem thanks to a helping friend here.

That was lucky, because the folks at the LMS PiCorePlayer forum are not very helpful and quite arrogant with those than don't seem to know the basics.

In any case, you do have to add the D50 data on the setting. Let me know if you have that problem.

When done that I could get very high quality audio.

There are two thing I couldn't solve yet: how to handle DSD signals with PCP and how to make it identify cue files, for those CDs that you ripped as one whole recording.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #818 of 1,054
Can anyone answer for sure if the D50 is really native DSD or if they make a conversion?
It's ESS Sabre chip. The implementation of it is basically secret.

But, Mishka from HQplayer showed increased performance and THD with DSD256 and DSD512 so it for sure doesn't hurt anything.

Delta sigma can easily process DSD anyway, the 9038(mobile) chip surely does it in a proper way I wouldn't worry~

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #819 of 1,054
Can this be powered by IFi Iusb 3 and achieve better sound quality than LPS? Topping P50 power supply too very appealing. However Iusb 3 is claimed to supply very clean USB power and there are two power only USB ports.
Is this better than IFI IDSD BL as a standalone DAC?

Aug 13, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #820 of 1,054
Can this be powered by IFi Iusb 3 and achieve better sound quality than LPS? Topping P50 power supply too very appealing. However Iusb 3 is claimed to supply very clean USB power and there are two power only USB ports.

Don't believe all the bull online, man. It's 5V power, it's NOT rocket science lol.
The D50s and D50 have linear regulators already filtering the power input. "improving" on it will do absolutely nothing unless you are feeding it absolute crap.

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #821 of 1,054
Don't believe all the bull**** online, man. It's 5V power, it's NOT rocket science lol.
The D50s and D50 have linear regulators already filtering the power input. "improving" on it will do absolutely nothing unless you are feeding it absolute crap.
Really? So many of this threads posts are about improvements in sound quality they got changing the power supply.

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #822 of 1,054
Really? So many of this threads posts are about improvements in sound quality they got changing the power supply.

Listen, I have my d50 plugged into my samsung charger/adapter which is a 5v plug and its clean and fine. Lol.

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #824 of 1,054
I'm feeding my Topping D50 from the USB output of my Raspberry, playing PiCorePlayer.

What I don't know if it's possible for the display to also show the files' bitrate too, besides the oversampling, which does show.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #825 of 1,054
After reading so much about I got the idea this DAC has analytical digital sound with listener fatiguing. If so it would not be good match for me and my focal clear. Any idea it is better with new D50s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back