Topping D50
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #1,024 of 1,054
I have my D50s connected by coax to my Oppo player. When I first start these up, the D50s shuts off in less than a minute unless I play music immediately. Does anyone else have this issue, and is there some setting that prevents this? FYI, the dimmer is set to 63%, not 100% brightness.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,025 of 1,054
I have my D50s connected by coax to my Oppo player. When I first start these up, the D50s shuts off in less than a minute unless I play music immediately. Does anyone else have this issue, and is there some setting that prevents this? FYI, the dimmer is set to 63%, not 100% brightness.

The 3rd menu option on your D50s should be 'Auto' - what is that set to? Try to set that to OFF. That's a setting for the D50(s) to automatically power itself on and off depending on if there's a digital signal on the selected input. I have a feeling it may not work with all inputs. As soon as you play music from your Oppo DAP, your D50s should 'wake up' automatically if the Auto setting is ON.

On my D50 (not D50s) I have set that to ON and it works perfectly over USB in that my iMac can power on the D50 when I play music and then when I shut down my computer, the D50 will power off after a few seconds. I would imagine that the S/PDIF coaxial connection may behave differently compared to USB in the D50(s) sensing if there's a datastream being sent. As a side note, I had horrendous problems with a Node 2i streamer holding the coaxial connection 'hot' so my D50 would never shut down by itself.

Regardless. try changing the Auto setting to OFF and see what happens. Let us know if it works. It may just mean that your D50s won't shut down automatically.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,026 of 1,054
Thanks for the information, between ifi power and apple power supply which is better?
what is lps?

LPS = Linear Power Supply ... the design of which is good for low noise (as opposed to a switching power supply, which is what 99% of the power supplies are now, including IPS and Apple, I assume). The $20 LPS that people linked to on this thread seems like a pretty good option to try, but I don't know anything in particular about that one.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,027 of 1,054
Thanks for the information, between ifi power and apple power supply which is better?
what is lps?

I found no difference between an iFi power supply and an apple iPad power supply when I used them with my D50. Both are switching power supplies in that they use a power transistor to create a high frequency voltage which is then stepped down to produce the DC voltage required (e.g. 5V) and then that is smoothed out. It's this smoothing (and the accuracy of the high frequency voltage) that is done better in the commercial switching power supplies. Relative to an LPS, they are quite compact and efficient (and cheap).

A linear power supply is a big ugly box that supplies a nice, clean DC output voltage, but it operates very inefficiently, so it generates a large amount of wasted heat. LPS's are usually 'cleaner' than switching power supplies for their DC outputs, so may have a positive impact on the sound from audio equipment. They usually cost a lot more than switching power supplies.

Here's an old picture of my headphones system were you can see an LPS next to my D50.

BSiGmyO.jpg

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #1,028 of 1,054
I found no difference between an iFi power supply and an apple iPad power supply when I used them with my D50. Both are switching power supplies in that they use a power transistor to create a high frequency voltage which is then stepped down to produce the DC voltage required (e.g. 5V) and then that is smoothed out. It's this smoothing (and the accuracy of the high frequency voltage) that is done better in the commercial switching power supplies. Relative to an LPS, they are quite compact and efficient (and cheap).

A linear power supply is a big ugly box that supplies a nice, clean DC output voltage, but it operates very inefficiently, so it generates a large amount of wasted heat. LPS's are usually 'cleaner' than switching power supplies for their DC outputs, so may have a positive impact on the sound from audio equipment. They usually cost a lot more than switching power supplies.

Here's an old picture of my headphones system were you can see an LPS next to my D50.

i also use amiron with d50s
BSiGmyO.jpg

Jan 24, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #1,030 of 1,054
The 3rd menu option on your D50s should be 'Auto' - what is that set to? Try to set that to OFF. That's a setting for the D50(s) to automatically power itself on and off depending on if there's a digital signal on the selected input. I have a feeling it may not work with all inputs. As soon as you play music from your Oppo DAP, your D50s should 'wake up' automatically if the Auto setting is ON.

On my D50 (not D50s) I have set that to ON and it works perfectly over USB in that my iMac can power on the D50 when I play music and then when I shut down my computer, the D50 will power off after a few seconds. I would imagine that the S/PDIF coaxial connection may behave differently compared to USB in the D50(s) sensing if there's a datastream being sent. As a side note, I had horrendous problems with a Node 2i streamer holding the coaxial connection 'hot' so my D50 would never shut down by itself.

Regardless. try changing the Auto setting to OFF and see what happens. Let us know if it works. It may just mean that your D50s won't shut down automatically.
It does wake up as soon as music starts on the Oppo player, but the first couple of seconds are cut off.

This problem does NOT happen when I am using the USB input from my Windows laptop; it only occurs over coax.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,032 of 1,054
I connected my dap to the d50s with a 9 euro optical cable, do you recommend which cable to improve the sound?

I don't think you'll notice any difference by using a more expensive optical cable. Toslink is a very old, proven technology. However, it is one of the most limiting ones in terms of sample rate that it can carry.

A coaxial S/PDIF connection usually has a bit more bandwidth, but is still limited compared to USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back