Topping D50
Jan 4, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #901 of 1,054
How does the D50s product handle switching when both Bluetooth and SPDIF inputs are playing? Do you have to use the remote or does it have any auto-sensing?

Also, what do folks think about Topping vs iFi Audio for SQ?

These youtube reviews compared the 50s to the new ifi DACS. The Zen DAC I think has a similar Burrbrown chip as the Micro.

According to the review, the d50s is better if you like a detailed more upfront sound. ifi is more laid back, lush and smooth.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #903 of 1,054
I have the D50s, Modi Multibit, and JDS Labs EL Dac and of the three I like the D50s the most with the EL a close 2nd. Paired with the SMSL SP200 THX amp the combo is really nice with a detailed balanced sound and a touch of warmth to smooth everything out. The D50s is my first Dac with ESS chips and compared to the EL with an AK chip I like the ESS a bit more as the AK can sound more clinical at times but the EL Dac is still very good.

I've been using the D50s now for a few months and I couldn't be happier with how it sounds. I like the D50s so much I'm looking into getting the D70 sometime down the line, plus it uses the newest AK chip set which I want to try.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #904 of 1,054
I have the D50s, Modi Multibit, and JDS Labs EL Dac and of the three I like the D50s the most with the EL a close 2nd. Paired with the SMSL SP200 THX amp the combo is really nice with a detailed balanced sound and a touch of warmth to smooth everything out. The D50s is my first Dac with ESS chips and compared to the EL with an AK chip I like the ESS a bit more as the AK can sound more clinical at times but the EL Dac is still very good.

I've been using the D50s now for a few months and I couldn't be happier with how it sounds. I like the D50s so much I'm looking into getting the D70 sometime down the line, plus it uses the newest AK chip set which I want to try.
Better save up for the D90 then...

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #905 of 1,054

I also had the modi multibit 2, modi 3, d30, and d50s and feel the same way. I seem to much prefer the ESS sound over AKM's velvet sound.

The modi multibit does something special with depth and realistic instrumental timbre but can't keep up with the d50s' resolution and cleanliness.

Jan 26, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #907 of 1,054
From all I can find, there is no way to change the information displayed on the screen?

What I think would be ideal would be do have the sample rate etc. displayed as the largest part of the display, rather than the volume.

Feb 3, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #908 of 1,054
What I think would be ideal would be do have the sample rate etc. displayed as the largest part of the display, rather than the volume.
Volume is the only indicator that is important from the point of view of human physiology. If the usual volume level is accidentally changed when the DAC is turned on, you have a chance to deaf. Well, or burn amplification equipment or speakers.
And the rest of the displayed parameters are just delight for the ego, demonstrating the high quality of the supplied sound stream.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #910 of 1,054
You can leave the DAC at '0' and adjust volume from preamp.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #914 of 1,054
I wonder how the D50S compares to the SMSL M8A V3 (ES9038Q2M DAC Chip). This is currently the DAC I have, so I am curious how the D50S compares, since it uses the same chip. I have not seen any reviews yet comparing the M8A V3 to the D50S.

Mar 6, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #915 of 1,054
I wonder how the D50S compares to the SMSL M8A V3 (ES9038Q2M DAC Chip). This is currently the DAC I have, so I am curious how the D50S compares, since it uses the same chip. I have not seen any reviews yet comparing the M8A V3 to the D50S.
It's likely these two are very very close..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back