Top IE triple drivers at the moment...
Oct 30, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #17 of 47
I would also check out the new Grado GR10s. They seem like a very interesting IEM - I read somewhere that they use an improved version of the new moving armature driver. If they sound like an Ortofon e-Q7 with better treble, then they are a definite winner in my book. They won't do well for monitoring though, since they are supposed to be musical IEMs designed for music enjoyment.

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #18 of 47
If I can find them here in Taipei, I will certainly check them out. I'm excited to hear them. I have never actually owned IE's yet so this is new territory for me...

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #19 of 47

Quote:
I still think the W3 is about as good as it gets.  It has a big soundstage, it has a big full sound, it has plenty of weight and body to the bass but is still able to exhibit tremendous treble detail energy.  Quite the feat IMHO.  Very efficient too (no amping required).

I'll have to second this recommendation. Of all the triple driver IEMs I've heard the W3s are the best (well extended in both directions with smooth neutral mids) I've heard. They are also very comfortable and I've had no fit issues with them, even with my picky ears. They are also very have good detail retrieval and have a nice soundstage

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:
I would also check out the new Grado GR10s. They seem like a very interesting IEM - I read somewhere that they use an improved version of the new moving armature driver. If they sound like an Ortofon e-Q7 with better treble, then they are a definite winner in my book. They won't do well for monitoring though, since they are supposed to be musical IEMs designed for music enjoyment.

Try the Final Audio FI-BA-A1 or FI-BA-SB. They sound like the e-Q7 with better treble. I will post a comparison soon.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 47

Quote:
Try the Final Audio FI-BA-A1 or FI-BA-SB. They sound like the e-Q7 with better treble. I will post a comparison soon.

Thanks for the recommendation James. I just checked out the review of these two IEMs at touchmyapps. They seem like great products at reasonable prices. Too bad I am totally broke right now. Maybe in a few months I will be able to give these a go.

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #22 of 47
I loved the SE530s, but they had a few fatal flaws...roll off highs and center of your head sound stage, both absolutely corrected with the SE535s.

So I guess, of all the triple drivers I've heard / owned (SE530, UE10, W3, UM3x, SM3), I'm going to go with the SE535s (shocker as they are still here).
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #24 of 47

Quote:

At least there's no mention of the CK10 this time :p They do seem interesting although I really hate flat cables

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #25 of 47
Triple driver phones i like best , SM3, W3, TF10,  SE530

The Sm3 has the ability to draw me into the music and take me on a transcendental  journey to a sonic world of audio  bliss .

Oct 31, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #27 of 47
since OP stated he much preferred a monitor sound, um3x/sm3 would be ideal for him...

personally, i like TF10, the sound is amazing if u can get a good fit

had tried before 530/535, W3/UM3X and if i were to get another 3driver sidestep from my tf10, i would go for the W3

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #29 of 47

Quote:
If I can find them here in Taipei, I will certainly check them out. I'm excited to hear them. I have never actually owned IE's yet so this is new territory for me...

There are some famous headphone shops in taipei which provide many headphones/earphones for customers to try. They all very friendly. Just go to those shops, and try those phones until you find the best one fitting your taste
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #30 of 47
I like the IE8's best.
Great base (if you leave it on factory setting), clarity, treble detail and soundstage are stunning. Beautiful balance to my ears.
I'm not so keen on the tips though, I use the tips shipped with my triple fi10's which stretch well to fit.
The best SQ comes with the comply foams which degrade quickly and need replacing regularly. Their fit is too tight on the stems and I am now on my third pair of IE8's because of this, thankfully they were exchanged under warranty!
I own and prefer 1) IE8. 2) triple fi,s. 3) SE530's.
The SE530's have been my biggest purchase disappointment and I have never adjusted to their signature sound. They are the most comfortable though and the black olives easy to clean.
But give me the IE8's any day.
At the Apple stores in the UK they used to have demo IEMs. They give you a new pair of tips to listen to them and you can try before you buy. The Apple stores are full recommended retail price but if you purchase you have 14 days to return them, even if used, so long as you return the packaging too. Not sure if they still do this as it was a few years ago now, but may be worth checking out.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back