Top 10 Headphones Revealed!
Oct 4, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #61 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by webpodge
Hi all,

As I was composing a new list of headphones, I used the constructive comments from my digg post and from my blog (webpodge), I came across this forum. I know that music and sound is something that people hold close to home, though I may not know sound I do know music, and I'm sorry if I've offended any of you.

That said, I thank everyone that posted on my blog or dugg it because in the end I really did learn a lot about headphones and so did a lot of other people by reading your comments. Plus it brought me to head-fi.org which is an awesome source of info, so that's all gravy. Here is a list of headphones that is composed entirely of comment recommendations:

http://webpodge.com/2006/10/04/top-1...es-remastered/

Cheers,
PK

Welcome to Head-fi! I hope you have deep pockets or a strong will; you'll need one of the two at least. Try to ignore the zealots and enjoy the wealth of information offered here. I look forward to hearing more about your experiences in the world of high-end audio. Sorry about your wallet.
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #62 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Ditto here.

I said,

The top ten dynamic headphones in current production:

1. AKG K710

2. Sony SA 5000

3. Sennheiser HD650

4. Beyerdynamic, top model

Well, one good thing came out of this thread(besides a little entertainment).

I now know that if drarthurwells likes something I may just like it too. Barring his comments about nothing else worth mentioning of course.
icon10.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #63 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Bose perhaps, B&O, absolutely not. imho.

Well I got quite curious once my portable setup was complete, so I took my stuff to apple 5th ave and tried the 650 (wow what did you nyc portable guys do? The right driver is dead!), the bose tridorks and of course the ever popular a8. My how.. 30 dollarish they sound. Way less muffled than the bose, but they reminded me of an airy ibud. This led me to believe that B&O is like bose, minus the overt marketing. Money better spent on some ATH-EC7, which looks better imo.

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #65 of 110
Wow, though I agree that the review isn't the best, some of the comments are really nasty!

I mean, this guy is just some random blogger, and us Head-fiers have to bash his honest opinion? Doesn't sound to me like the Head-fi spirit.

Anyways, webpodge, welcome to head-fi.

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #66 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
Well I got quite curious once my portable setup was complete, so I took my stuff to apple 5th ave and tried the 650 (wow what did you nyc portable guys do? The right driver is dead!), the bose tridorks and of course the ever popular a8. My how.. 30 dollarish they sound. Way less muffled than the bose, but they reminded me of an airy ibud. This led me to believe that B&O is like bose, minus the overt marketing. Money better spent on some ATH-EC7, which looks better imo.

There is a particular technique to wearing the A8. Once this is achieved, the sound goes from earbud to eargasmbud.

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #67 of 110
Wow, you guys should give the guy a break.
Not everyone is a Head-Fi visiter, and even so, he stated that the list is of headphones he's heard, not heard of.

Lastly, it's from his blog, not like it was published in a magazine.
Were harsh comments neccessary?

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #68 of 110
Quote:

Hi all,

As I was composing a new list of headphones, I used the constructive comments from my digg post and from my blog (webpodge), I came across this forum. I know that music and sound is something that people hold close to home, though I may not know sound I do know music, and I'm sorry if I've offended any of you.

That said, I thank everyone that posted on my blog or dugg it because in the end I really did learn a lot about headphones and so did a lot of other people by reading your comments. Plus it brought me to head-fi.org which is an awesome source of info, so that's all gravy. Here is a list of headphones that is composed entirely of comment recommendations:

Cheers,
PK

Welcome to Head-Fi, hope you enjoy your stay.
Just try not to be "warped" by the comments here, enjoy what you like.
wink.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #69 of 110
Quote:

Hi all,

Cheers,
PK

Welcome Webpodge - I give you many props for facing the "head-fi heat"; anyone else would probably not have had the nerve to do such a stand up thing.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #70 of 110
wow those comments on the webpage were harsh, i didnt go to the length of posting any comments on his review. considering the content it should have had a different title than "top ten" though.

look at the bright side, one more consumer that has just been handed the blue pill. welcome to Headfi webpodge.

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #71 of 110
good for webpodge for atleast creating a new list, and more importantly, learning

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #72 of 110
lol i remember when this thread started off... there were no comments on his blog.... now i look and its like OMG freaking bazillion of them and most of them are harsh. glad hes here now though

Oct 5, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #73 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice
Sony MDR-700DJ Studio Monitor Series
Price: $149.99

This is a pair of headphones I hold near and dear to my heart. Always by my side, the MDR DJ700’s were made famous by the 1000’s of DJ’s that swear by these headphones. Don’t believe me, go out this weekend to your nearby club and see what headphones the DJ is sporting, it’s the 700’s guarnteed. These headphones are quite simply a perfect balance of sound quality, durability, design aesthetics, comfort, and overall feel.
He He..LMAO..

well

they are good DJ cans..... but that is the scope
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #75 of 110
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy
Welcome to head-fi, PK!

A land where bose and b&o are as good as blasphemy...

See, this is the type of stuff I'm talking about that doesn't help.

I have some A8s and they're not bad. They're not the BEST EVER, but they do their job pretty well. I agree that if you wear them properly (i.e. shoving them DEEP into your ear) the sound improves immensely.

Plus the design is great - the movements are well-weighted, and they feel good.

That they only cost USD75 or so here, rather than the USD100 you lot pay in America, helps too.

I would even choose them over my ATH-ES7s if I required extra portability, like when on holiday.

As for this so-called "Head-Fi spirit", sadly enough it has always appeared to me to be nothing more than "My stuff rules and your stuff sucks because I know about cool unknown brands, unlike you".
rolleyes.gif

Don't get me wrong, without this place I would have never discovered my love for A-T, but really, some of the more vocal people around here need to get a grip, lighten up, and stop having a go at people who may not have had the benefit of trying out more than a few pairs of headphones (almost certainly through no fault of their own). It takes time and effort to search for and buy different pairs.

EDIT: I should add that the A8s were purchased for me as a birthday gift, so it's certainly not a case of "I bought it with my own money, so it must be good".

EDIT2: For example, I often rip the p*ss out of Apple's "iPod is brilliant because it just works etc. etc." advertising, and I hate their bass response, but I will acknowledge that they are pretty good value for money, especially if discounted. I even nearly bought a refurbished Nano 1st-gen 2GB the other day as it was cheaper than the Zen V Plus 2GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back