To buy or not to buy Grado RS1 ?
Dec 24, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #46 of 98
Dec 24, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #47 of 98
Hold your horses people. I dont plan on going above the RS series. I dont even have money for an RS1, I was planning on paying for it with my cradit card.
TheMonkey: what do you mean by getting some 'stats with the money? You mean rep on this forum? Mneh...
And CeeTee: WHAT IS THAT ???  I just googled it. 'Baby PS1000' with a typo? They look more like PS325 with white plastic cups. What drivers do they use? Please tell me more.
Thanks for imput AuralRelations.
BobSaysHi  please tell me more about HF2.

I found a US seller on ebay selling RS1 for 460£ incl postage, he has agreed to mark it as gift. I will wait until January, I dont want to give the mail any chance to misplace my parcel.

Dec 24, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #48 of 98

460.00 GBP = 709.518 USD

That's for the RS1?

1.  Search HF-2.  
2.  Get NO sleep.  
3.  Grab an HF-2 B-Stock now for $379 USD.
4.  If you wait too long, you can always check out an HF-2 used.

(I love them and plan on seeing how they scale up.)  

Less bright, moar bass.  

Moar typo.

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #49 of 98
Bear in mind when buying from outside the EU into the UK (if it's over £18) that you are going to have to pay VAT and a customs charge.

That includes gifts worth over £40 for VAT and the customs charge if it is over £135 in value.

I've never found something that makes it clear how much you pay for how much, but something that cost me around £140 cost me around £40 in charges from the US from memory, so you can use that as a rough guide.

So be aware that the "bargain" you think you are getting, once you add the charges and the fact you have to wait an age to get your stuff, often doesn't seem like such great value in the end.

Often I see something in classifieds and its a low, low price + shipping. Once the shipping, the customs, the VAT and the wait are added, I end up thinking I'd have been better off buying it brand new.

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #50 of 98
@EddieE- Ah, thanks.  When we try to make suggestions for the OP, we aren't taking that into consideration!

After all that, a $379 US item could approach $600?

Dec 24, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #51 of 98
It's not British pounds, it's in Euros.  So it's more like ~600 USD, not 709 USD.

Quote:

460.00 GBP = 709.518 USD

That's for the RS1?

1.  Search HF-2.  
2.  Get NO sleep.  

Less bright, moar bass.  

Moar typo.

Dec 24, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #52 of 98
To the OP the RS-1 are fine headphones and are one of the best Grado's made, however people may rightfully disagree as well. To me they are a worthy upgrade to the SR225 and a definite improvement to the SR325is and SR325i. I dont think getting a RS1 used for that price you are looking for is a good deal, especially if you get taxed for it and not to mention possibly loss in transit. 

Like others have mentioned a good alternative option is getting a pair of HF-2. If you look around you will find it is constructed using aluminium and wood like the PS1000 thus some think of it as the "baby PS1000" It has also argued if they reuse SR325 drivers but despite this uncertentiy they do not sound like the SR325 and any of the SR325 variants made. I wont go into details about how they sound but if you search for it here you will find endless amounts of impressions for them. 

What I would do is skip the RA-1 and grab a HF-2. The RA-1 like others mention seems to be not such a great deal for the cash. Just to give you an idea I have owned the RA-1, and I currently own the following HP-1, HP-2, RS-1, RS-2, HF-1, HF-2, Grado SR325 Magnum, and SR325 (Joe grado HP1000 drivers in them) and have owned SR60, SR80, SR125, SR325is and SR225 and I can say the HF-2 is something special because of what it offers at that price level and it is no slouch compared to the RS-1 either. 

About amping i find that while RS-1 and HF-2 are better amped but I dont find it such a huge improvement as they were build to be easy to drive. I would instead like to instead recommend getting a better source or some kind of DAC such as a pico or a gamma 2. If you are do decide ever decide to go with a gamma let me know as I will have one for sale soon due to upgrading to a buffalo 32 dac, and will be traveling to the UK and could just bring it over and mail it there. If you also would like I could pick up and RS-1 and bring it with my to the UK and I will send it to you domestically to avoid extra charges. Of course that is if you are willing to trust me on this is up to you. 

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #54 of 98

Quote:
Why not the GS1000i? It has the most raved reviews.

You're kidding right? Most here (including myself) place it along with the SR325s as some of John Grado's biggest mistakes.

Switch out the jumbos and use the bowls if you think it's too sibilant.  What you end up with is one solid rocker.

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #55 of 98
OP, the Monkey is talking about electrostatic headphones. The foremost manufacturer is Stax. You'll find a bunch of discussions about them.

The GS-1000 turned out to be a flop. They were introduced at a CanJam a few years ago and everyone went bezerk. Complete FOTM with breathless reviews and then the criticism got hot and heavy. Just like the K-701. The GS-1000 has a small cult following, but you don't see it recommended very often. I sorta like it, but not enough to buy a pair. Maybe if I found a used one for $300 I'd pick it up just to put in the collection.

The only Grados I think are worth buying are the SR-60, HF-2, RS-1, and HP-1000. The rest are marginal or bettered for the same money or less by something on this list.

The RS-1 is lots of fun and probably the great rock headphone. I loved a pair for a few years but eventually burned out on the coloration. I mostly listen to the HD-800 these days. But the RS-1 was a lot of fun while it lasted.

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #56 of 98

Quote:
OP, take the money you have set aside and buy some 'stats instead.

Just spotted this post as flagged by Erik and I have to +1.

I like Grados a lot and have heard a lot of them and owned a few too, but the value for money factor is a steep curve downwards as you go up the ladder. SR60 and MS1 are great bang for buck phones but RS1s, even used RS1s, are just not worth what they cost, even though I do think they are wonderful headphones. As good as they are at what they do they are just not in the league of other headphones you can get for the same price - and less.

I can tell you I recently picked up a used Stax rig, albeit it with the most modest of amps (SR303 + SRM-XH) for less than I've ever seen RS1s go for and they absolutely slaughter them for quality in every aspect.

It's a whole other world and has been a massive step up for me in terms of enjoyment of my music from headphones. My only regret is not trying Stax earlier.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #57 of 98
I want to try Stax. I have no idea where to even start. Looks like I gots some researchin' to do.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #58 of 98

Quote:
The only Grados I think are worth buying are the SR-60, HF-2, RS-1, and HP-1000. The rest are marginal or bettered for the same money or less by something on this list.

I absolutely agree with this statement; except I would add the SR225i for a "mid" level Grado between the SR-60 and all the rest.
L3000.gif

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #59 of 98

Quote:

460.00 GBP = 709.518 USD

That's for the RS1?

1.  Search HF-2.  
2.  Get NO sleep.  

Less bright, moar bass.  

Moar typo.

Major, CeeTee has offered up a strong recommendation. I started with the SR60i (which I still have), had an SR225i for a while, and an Allesandro MS2i. Then I got a pair of HF2's Not sure if their better than RS1's but I like them the best of any Grado I've had. If Todd has B stock HF2's available I'd recommend giving them a go. Lot's of bang for your buck,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back