To buy or not to buy Grado RS1 ?
Dec 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #91 of 98
I had a pair in my shopping cart and didn't pull the trigger...I'm regretting it now.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #93 of 98

Quote:
just bought one of the last HF-2's Todd had, they're coming this way now. If some orders don't get cancelled, he's out of them now.

ps. congrats granpa Bill, hope mother and daughter are in good health. So someone's going to get Christmas presents and one day after Christmas, get another present, the coming years. December's going to be a costly month Bill

Congratulations on the new cans Prog. I hope you like them as much as I like mine. They sound much better after they burn in so they have a little journeeying left to do after they actually arrive.

And congratulations on your new arrival to0 Bilavideo, that package trumps a new pair of headphones by far.

I was fiddling with my 60's last night, inspired by having read some more in  theBilavideo SR60-mod thread and the clamp that holds the earpiece broke. No biggie, I'll figure out a way to fix it. Havent been listening to them anyway with the HF2's in the house. I suppose I'll have to woody them now.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #94 of 98

Quote:
just bought one of the last HF-2's Todd had, they're coming this way now. If some orders don't get cancelled, he's out of them now.

ps. congrats granpa Bill, hope mother and daughter are in good health. So someone's going to get Christmas presents and one day after Christmas, get another present, the coming years. December's going to be a costly month Bill

Congratulations on the new cans Prog. I hope you like them as much as I like mine. They sound much better after they burn in so they have a little journeeying left to do after they actually arrive.

And congratulations on your new arrival to0 Bilavideo, that package trumps a new pair of headphones by far.

I was fiddling with my 60's last night, inspired by having read some more in  theBilavideo SR60-mod thread and the clamp that holds the earpiece broke. No biggie, I'll figure out a way to fix it. Havent been listening to them anyway with the HF2's in the house. I suppose I'll have to woody them now.

Thanks for the happy wishes.  Sorry for the mishap.  If you like, I could send you a pair of wooden rings that would replace the plastic forks.  Let me know.  No cost, just good neighboring.

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #95 of 98

Quote:
Thanks for the happy wishes.  Sorry for the mishap.  If you like, I could send you a pair of wooden rings that would replace the plastic forks.  Let me know.  No cost, just good neighboring.

Thanks for the offer, can I get a rain check? I really am thinking about doing some of your mods and the woody thing too. My neighbeor has a pretty awesome set of tools. just need to figure out how to do the cups.and what kind of wood I want to use. I thought I saw a dimensions drawing somewhere on here once. perfectly round might be the easy way but I think I sort of want a flanged exterior. Then the question is how deep should I make them. Should I make the new wooden air chamber bigger and if so how big?

Dec 31, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #96 of 98
If I were you with a Grado headphone, I would look into a Decware Zen Head ZH-1 amp.   I am the owner of one and it is a wonderful unit that can drive anything put on my ears with a beautiful, fluid musicality.  It especially sounds nice with Grados.

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #97 of 98
Awesome to hear. I am going to demo one at the local dealer sometime next month if he gets the DECWARE DAC in too. I am looking more for a DAC but I am really curious how those amps are too.

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #98 of 98

Quote:

Thanks for the offer, can I get a rain check? I really am thinking about doing some of your mods and the woody thing too. My neighbeor has a pretty awesome set of tools. just need to figure out how to do the cups.and what kind of wood I want to use. I thought I saw a dimensions drawing somewhere on here once. perfectly round might be the easy way but I think I sort of want a flanged exterior. Then the question is how deep should I make them. Should I make the new wooden air chamber bigger and if so how big?

No sweat.  I like where you're going with your plans.  I've made bigger chambers.  They don't give you as much slam.  Instead, there seems to be a wider gap between highs and lows.  What I mean is that the bass sounds lower.  To the average and casual listener, this won't be as impressive as a big 100 Hz, in-your-face thump but there's something about having that lower end, followed by a greater sense of space, followed by the familiar Grado HF.  Like the makers of the K701, I used to think that space would be a function of widening the mouth - and the K701 does create a faux sense of space that can be immediately impressive - but I was surprised, in building FrankenShells, to discover that space could be augmented through actions on the other side of the driver.  I was expecting more bass.  I got lower bass.  The ping-pong-paddle-in-the-face of midbass thump was not quite as impressive, but all of that openness was.  I haven't figured it all out yet, so my latest efforts have gone back to the familiar and the proven but I gave my brother a headphone for his birthday that had so much space to it, you'd think it was an HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back