To buy or not to buy Grado RS1 ?
Dec 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #16 of 98

Quote:

Hi guys...

I currently own a pair of audio technic a ad700s...

I was wondering if the dt880, is a worth while upgrade compared to the ad700s?

Sorry for posting a question, which isn't related or corresponds to the OPs thread.

Happy holidays and merry Christmas..

I found DT880 extremely flat for my taste. Never tried any other beyers tho. It could get very bassy if amplified properly. Otherwise too flat for hi-fi. But thats me.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #17 of 98

Quote:
oh come on, grado's good is ended at sr225. rs1 is overpriced I think. I'd rather go to denon d7000 and save more than 100 bucks. since d7000 is good with his genres and provides better soundstage, depth and timbre

I need to find a shop in London where they let me try all these. I would  hate becoming a fanboy before I tried other posibilities.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #18 of 98
hmm, I see. just my point of view, spending $700 to Rs1 is wasting, especially if you are in UK. Because it is not a big step after the Sr225. I have both sr225 and d2000, those are under your price range. but I use Denon most of the time. My genre is acoustic, neo classical, ballad and metal

Quote:
Quote:
oh come on, grado's good is ended at sr225. rs1 is overpriced I think. I'd rather go to denon d7000 and save more than 100 bucks. since d7000 is good with his genres and provides better soundstage, depth and timbre

I need to find a shop in London where they let me try all these. I would  hate becoming a fanboy before I tried other posibilities.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #19 of 98
    Quote:
Rs1 is wasting, especially if you are in UK. Because it is not a big step after the Sr225

I briefly owned and enjoyed the SR225's. I enjoyed them enough that I returned them for the RS2. The RS2 is a big step up in refinement over the SR225, and I imagine that the RS1 is even better. It's true that the SR225 gives you a taste of the essential character of the higher-end Grados, but the RS series is a significant sonic improvement.

If you can afford the RS1, get it. Below the RS level, other headphones like the Denon's or Beyer's might be worth consideration.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #20 of 98

Quote:

Have you actually heard/owned any of the higher end Grados/Alessandros (RS-1i/MS-Pro)?

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #21 of 98

Hi all, I am new to audiophile world and in just about 2 years Ive changed a lot of equipment. Im ready to shed a lot of money that i dont really have, about 1100£ to get a Grado RS1 with an RA1 amp. Ive never listened to them and this is why I need your advice. Would I get a better deal If I invested in something else? Il give you a bit of my background so you will have a clue.

I primarely listen to FLAC and audio CDs on my PC, with Asus Xonar D2X soundcard, Grado SR80, Denon AVC-1530 amp and Tannoy Mercury surround speakers. When away I use my Cowon S9 and Grado SR80 to play losless.

I listen to acoustic, punk rock, alternative, blues, jazz, classic, folk. Dont laugh, I come from a non-english speaking country and our folk sounds awesome.

Ive been through a few soundcards and sound systems and Ive changed a lot of headphones before I settled with Grado SR80. I had Beyer DT8800pro 250ohm, Sennheiser HD595, iGrado, Sony MDR 7506, AKG K272, AKG K450 and loads other cheap tats under 50£. Some were too bassy, some too flat, some unconfortable, some messed up my hair, some pushed distorted bass into mids, some even had all these great qualities altogether.

Dont get me wrong I dont praise SR80 for being the best but from what Ive listened I think they are the closest. They are flawed but good. Im not going to brag about it since this is not a review and I dont wish to turn myself into the Grado fanboy that I am.

I wonder how RS1 would be. I dont have the patience nore money to climb all the way up the Grado ladder. Why cant I just buy the mother and father of all heaphones and just be happy with them?

Anyone had any experience with RS1 and RA1? Something against them? Will I need a better source to bring up the quality in them? Would I get a better deal elsewhere? I was wondering about those little gems one might pick up once in a while on ebay, any clue? Guidance please?

THank you all. 

1. 1100 pounds for an RS1 is a rip-off.  Last I checked, the pound was worth a buck-and-a-half.  For that kind of money, you could almost buy the $1700 PS1000.  If you're going to buy an RS1 new (even though there are some great deals on used ones at Headfi), why not buy from an American vendor and have it shipped overseas?  Why pay so much more to buy locally?

2. The RA1 amp is pretty, seeing how it is encased in a block of mahogany, but I'm not convinced it's any better than a Cmoy, which you can buy for $40.  There are much better amps for the same amount of money.  From what I've read, Grado listens to his music through a Melos, not an RA-1.  

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #22 of 98
The RS1 is a huge improvement over the SR225. The SR325 is even a very noticeable improvement and worth the $100 difference.

As far as an amp suggestion....I really enjoy my Little Dot 1+ with my Grados. They go well together. I also read that the FiiO E7/E9 work well with Grados.

Quote:

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #23 of 98

Thanks for the imput everyone, ill remember to stay clear of RA1. MacedonianHero can you suggest something else?

I had a look on ebay and some decent shops from USA sell RS1 for 500£, thats 200£ cheaper than here. Do you think I should take the plunge? I know for sure they arent allowed to sell GRado stuff from USA into EU. Maybe it is worth waiting and buying a cheaper pre-owned RS1 ? Because as far as I know Grado customer service is rubbish anyway so there wont be much support in case something goes wrong with the new pair I might buy. Pre-owned will also be burned-in....

I recently purchased a pair of RS2i's on eBay from a seller in the USA and he was excellent. The cans were sent on the day of purchase, I had them within 3 days. He declared them as a gift for $18 to avoid the 23% import tax. If your interested in the seller let me know and I will pm you his details as he also sold RS1i's for approx £500.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #24 of 98

Quote:
Thanks for the imput everyone, ill remember to stay clear of RA1. MacedonianHero can you suggest something else?

I had a look on ebay and some decent shops from USA sell RS1 for 500£, thats 200£ cheaper than here. Do you think I should take the plunge? I know for sure they arent allowed to sell GRado stuff from USA into EU. Maybe it is worth waiting and buying a cheaper pre-owned RS1 ? Because as far as I know Grado customer service is rubbish anyway so there wont be much support in case something goes wrong with the new pair I might buy. Pre-owned will also be burned-in....

What's your maximum price?

Again, the RA1, while nice, is about the same SQ as a CMOY amp that you can get for about $50 in a beautiful wooden case.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #26 of 98
Why not the GS1000i? It has the most raved reviews.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #28 of 98
I think there are plenty what will strongly disagree with your preposterous claim...myself included.

Quote:
Quote:

You're kidding right? Most here (including myself) place it along with the SR325s as some of John Grado's biggest mistakes.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #30 of 98

Quote:
I think there are plenty what will strongly disagree with your preposterous claim...myself included.

Quote:
Quote:

You're kidding right? Most here (including myself) place it along with the SR325s as some of John Grado's biggest mistakes.

No doubt....any many more will agree with me.
tongue.gif
  I did own them (SR325is), I bought them thinking they were an "upgrade" to my SR225i headphones. I found them too uncomfortable (due to the metal housings which really pressed the rougher ear pads tighter on my head) and the treble was just too much for my ears. To hot and shrill....even with a warm tube amp and a syrupy warm tube (Sovtek).

Just my experiences as a previous owner. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back