TIDAL is coming to Astell&Kern players!
Oct 21, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #91 of 190
As @tuxbass said above, it's half baked and none of the elements involved (AK making DAPs or The Tidal app itself) are new.

I wouldn't speak for anyone else, but personally I download Tidal albums at home over Wifi on my Onkyo DP-X1 to listen to offline when I'm out during the day. You can't do that on an AK so all this "Tidal is coming to AK!!!!" is a teeny bit disingenuous.

There are obviously more important things in life, but this is a personal audio forum and if enough people "complain", then AK might hurry up and do the job properly. For what it's worth, I love AKs - I have an old AK120 in a Glove A1 - and I would like another, but I won't by waving my wallet near one until they sort Tidal out.

Thanks for chiming in @FidelityCastro and @cuiter23 
My use case is the same as above, I want to download albums over WiFi at home to my AK320 and listen to them on my commute.

These DAPs are not cheap, they are sold as a TOTL in some cases. What's wrong with demanding a basic feature that already exists in some of the competition (like DP-X1, it's Pioneer sibling, Fiio X7 etc). 

Edit: Cheaper competing DAPs I should emphasize

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #92 of 190
Astell and Kern is really lacking in this area. I don't think they will be able to implement the offline mode until they released their 400 series. By then, there is going to be a whole lot of waiting until it's available on the 300 series. This is similar to the promised USB otg function update on the 100 series. How is it still not available yet?

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #93 of 190
  Astell and Kern is really lacking in this area. I don't think they will be able to implement the offline mode until they released their 400 series. By then, there is going to be a whole lot of waiting until it's available on the 300 series. This is similar to the promised USB otg function update on the 100 series. How is it still not available yet?

Astell and Kern 400 serie ??   Hope to see it in 2017 :)  

who believe it will be available in 2017 ? 

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #94 of 190

Astell and Kern 400 serie ??   Hope to see it in 2017 :)  

who believe it will be available in 2017 ? 

Seeing as they release a new line-up every year, the 400 will be out sometime in 2017. And the 500 in 2018.

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #96 of 190

Seeing as they release a new line-up every year, the 400 will be out sometime in 2017. And the 500 in 2018.

Well the AK240 was announced late December 2013 and AK380 was announced at Munich's 2015 (May 2015), so if the 400 serie is announced in 2017, this will mean 1,5 to 2 years between series.

And the 500...already exist: The AK500n is their desktop server, which, according to Alex, should be upgraded sooner than the AK380.

Oct 25, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #97 of 190

​MQA streaming for Tidal will probably will not happen until there's sufficient contents from the music companies. Besides, MQA is a partial lossy format. If you want the very best one should go high res PCM or DSD :)

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #98 of 190
As @tuxbass said above, it's half baked and none of the elements involved (AK making DAPs or The Tidal app itself) are new.

I wouldn't speak for anyone else, but personally I download Tidal albums at home over Wifi on my Onkyo DP-X1 to listen to offline when I'm out during the day. You can't do that on an AK so all this "Tidal is coming to AK!!!!" is a teeny bit disingenuous.

There are obviously more important things in life, but this is a personal audio forum and if enough people "complain", then AK might hurry up and do the job properly. For what it's worth, I love AKs - I have an old AK120 in a Glove A1 - and I would like another, but I won't by waving my wallet near one until they sort Tidal out.

Cannot agree more. Streaming without offline mode is rubbish. 

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #99 of 190
Asked them the same thing on twitter and they gave me the coming soon spiel.

We'll see, time will tell.

But AK does seem very much dedicated to keeping the entire product line updated.

If I was a betting person I'd say it'll be released for the AK240 by the end of the year.

Xmas came early it seems, the update for AK240 and also AK120ii / AK100ii is out and it works pretty good considering the small screen. Sounds good too! This changes how often I use my AK240 (to a lot more) as well as how I may use the Mojo (to probably a lot less).

Oct 31, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #100 of 190
Xmas came early it seems, the update for AK240 and also AK120ii / AK100ii is out and it works pretty good considering the small screen. Sounds good too! This changes how often I use my AK240 (to a lot more) as well as how I may use the Mojo (to probably a lot less).

Sick! The streaming works very well on the AK players. Very fast buffer and UI in general is quite fluid.

Aside from the offline mode support, everything looks to be great!

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #102 of 190
Hi everybody,

I wonder how is your TIDAL working? Mine is really slow and it drives me crazy. Searching for an artists/albums takes several seconds but the most annoying thing is about 5-10 second gap between songs within an album. This totally ruins my whole listening experience. I've seen several videos of using TIDAL and it was flawless. I wonder what could be a problem... Sitting next to wi-fi router with full signal on my AK300. My phone works 100% flawlessly from the same spot. Any suggestions? 

Thanks

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #103 of 190
  Hi everybody,

I wonder how is your TIDAL working? Mine is really slow and it drives me crazy. Searching for an artists/albums takes several seconds but the most annoying thing is about 5-10 second gap between songs within an album. This totally ruins my whole listening experience. I've seen several videos of using TIDAL and it was flawless. I wonder what could be a problem... Sitting next to wi-fi router with full signal on my AK300. My phone works 100% flawlessly from the same spot. Any suggestions? 

Thanks

My AK300 doesn't seem to have any of these issues although early on I was seeing some instability. Turning off (and back on) wifi on the AK300 did the trick for me. The only persistent gripe I have at this point is that if I pause Tidal playback the power saving never kicks in and the battery will eventually fully drain if I don't close out Tidal or manually power the player off. Has got me a few times and resulted in a dead battery.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #104 of 190
My AK300 doesn't seem to have any of these issues although early on I was seeing some instability. Turning off (and back on) wifi on the AK300 did the trick for me. The only persistent gripe I have at this point is that if I pause Tidal playback the power saving never kicks in and the battery will eventually fully drain if I don't close out Tidal or manually power the player off. Has got me a few times and resulted in a dead battery.

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm afraid turning wi-fi off and on doesn't work for me though:frowning2:

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #105 of 190
  Hi everybody,

Thanks

Same here. With the same wifi network, I don't see the gap problem on my mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back