TIDAL is coming to Astell&Kern players!
Oct 8, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #61 of 190
Something is not very clear to me, does it have offline mode like my zx2 or not, because without the offline mode tidal is very but very limited
Now i have more than 100 albums downloaded in my zx2, with the new noriah jones album as well, it is the music lovers dream come true, but without offline mode???

I assume offline mode will be available on subsequent software updates. I've heard companies do this and release software "fixes" as they go in order to attract customers. Marketing ploy, once again. 

In my opinion, it would be sacrilege to release Tidal without the intention of implementing offline mode. The company will just be shooting themselves in the foot.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #64 of 190
Finally, TIDAL Is Here!

As many of you with AK70's and AK300-series players are figuring out, the OTA update for your Astell&Kern players is available today that finally enable TIDAL on your players! Here's a quick video we shot last week showing the TIDAL user interface in an AK300:

​
TIDAL support will be added first to the AK70 and AK300 Series players this week and will roll out to the AK240, AK100 II and AK120 II Wi-Fi enabled players soon after.

Tidal isn't the only cool addition in this firmware update. According to Astell&Kern, here are other things that come with it:

aptX HD Support

This week’s firmware update for the AK70 and AK300 series players will add support for Qualcomm’s aptX HD protocol. 

aptX HD supports streaming of 24-bit/48 kHz high-resolution audio over Bluetooth.  Astell&Kern is the first portable high-resolution audio player manufacturer to feature support for high-resolution audio streaming via Bluetooth.

When paired with devices supporting aptX HD, such as the Astell&Kern XB10 Bluetooth DAC ($189), users can now playback high-resolution audio wirelessly from their players to headphones or speakers without being physically tethered to their player. 

I have not used the Astell&Kern XB10 Bluetooth DAC yet, but I'll give it a go at the Tokyo Headphone Festival next week, or sooner if it arrives at Head-Fi HQ before then.

Now this next announced feature in this firmware update is very cool for vinyl enthusiasts who like to rip their LPs, or are interested in doing so:

New AK Recorder Features

A popular use for the Astell&Kern AK Recorder module is to digitize vinyl so users can listen to their collections on an AK300 series portable player on the go.

With the latest firmware update for the AK300 series players, the AK Recorder now features a new LP Recording feature that will separate songs recorded from vinyl into individual tracks and then add full album information and artwork via Gracenote lookup.  Now it is even easier for you to take your entire music collection with you, anywhere in the world.

You can see this one in operation in the following video, with the AK Recorder--this is amazing, and I can't wait to try it!

​

I plan on jumping back into vinyl soon, so this feature set looks incredible to me.

The new firmware for the Astell&Kern AK70, AK300, AK320 and AK380 high-resolution audio players will be available starting October 13 and can be downloaded by enabling Wi-Fi on the players. Once the update is ready to be downloaded, the player will notify the user a new update is available.

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #65 of 190
Some very strong updates from AK on this update, thx for bringing awareness to the community Jude. This is a very compelling set of updates especially for the vinyl folks.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #66 of 190
Very exciting news and thanks for keeping us Tidal fans in the loop, Jude!

Very happy that aptx HD is also being included soon :)

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #67 of 190
Wow,

This update could be the single most significant FW update AK has made to there players to date!  

They need to be commended for there excellent TOTL products and there continued effort to support each and every player they have ever made from the AK 100 on up. This clearly continues to widen the gap between AK vs. the said competition.  

Folks all our players just got more valuable!

Nice work AK !
Sincerely your friend in audio
-Speed...

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #68 of 190
Well these are for AK100I II second gen and up models. the first gen will not get these updates, just to be clear.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #70 of 190
Having a lot of issues w/ AK300 Tidal support. Have had repeated playback pauses and difficulty getting tracks to start. Not sure what the deal is but I'll be interested to hear from others here to see if this is wide-spread.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #71 of 190
  Having a lot of issues w/ AK300 Tidal support. Have had repeated playback pauses and difficulty getting tracks to start. Not sure what the deal is but I'll be interested to hear from others here to see if this is wide-spread.

Looks like bouncing the wifi radio on my AK300 has helped. Will keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back