Thunderpants!
Dec 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2,148 of 2,225
^^ Now that's funny. 
tongue.gif

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #2,149 of 2,225
Quote:
this is my feedback:

:), seems like we have the same idea. I did this when I was in uni. The cup was machined from solid aluminium, however the baffle is polycarbonate. All the surfaces inside the cup was covered in dynamat extreme. Aluminium by itself is not a good idea for a closed headphones and it needs weight damping, otherwise it would produce a ringing sound ( so you idea with wood inlay is good to go) I like the result with dynamat damping, because it reduce resonance and have the reflection of the aluminium skin, therefore produce a little treble boost. The whole headphones without cable weights 515g ( I heard Thunderpants and LCD-2 weights the same)
My next project is carbon fiber.

How much did those cost when you finished it all?

Dec 16, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #2,150 of 2,225
Quote:
How much did those cost when you finished it all?

In takes more time than money :)
For me:
50 EUR for the used t50rp
around 30 GBP for the cable and connectors
$150 for the lcd-2 pads shipped to Vietnam.
$30 for the leather works ( proudly done in Vietnam, not by me)
$30 for the damping materials (including wools and dynamat)
Around 10 GBP for the aluminium and it took me 2 days to finish (cause I was a noob).
I made the aluminium cup and the cable when I was in uni in the UK, the rest was in VIetnam, that explains the weird combination of currencies.
That's about it.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #2,152 of 2,225
Quote:
In takes more time than money :)
For me:
50 EUR for the used t50rp
around 30 GBP for the cable and connectors
$150 for the lcd-2 pads shipped to Vietnam.
$30 for the leather works ( proudly done in Vietnam, not by me)
$30 for the damping materials (including wools and dynamat)
Around 10 GBP for the aluminium and it took me 2 days to finish (cause I was a noob).
I made the aluminium cup and the cable when I was in uni in the UK, the rest was in VIetnam, that explains the weird combination of currencies.
That's about it.

Very nice break down on the components and prices.  The headphones look truly impressive.

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2,155 of 2,225
yeah, he got me bad. out $350! sent him a personal letter too. can't believe it how his consience allows him to do this?? i explained my disability and my limited funds etc etc and even that didn't make a difference.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #2,156 of 2,225
I started to create my own Thunderpants :

- I created different wood parts on a CAD Software :

- Find a friend with a CNC and some Padduk wood :

Now, I have to drill the cup, make the high gloss finish for the cup!

What is the thickness of felt to put in the cup?

I own a schiit Mjolnir, anyone tried a Thunderpants TP1 with this amp or just listen a balanced Thunderpants TP1?

I will post some pics of the evolution of the project 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2,158 of 2,225
Very nice CNC stuff!

I would try to make the cups a bit thinner and then strengthen them with epoxy on the inside if I had access to CNC. I would also see if it was possible to offset the drivers somewhat to enhance the soundstage.

I think that Smeggy used 3 mm felt but I think I would use something thinner like 1 mm selfadhesive felt and then add some cottonwool, rockwool or other alternatives to add further damping.

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #2,159 of 2,225
Thank you,

The back of my cups are 6 mm thin and in think you don't need to strenghen with epoxy (it depend if you want to have a thickness under 4 mm). The high gloss finish with 5 or 7 layers will strengthen enough the cups to resist for years, I already done a high gloss finish on a diy stave snare drums and after 2 years of gigs, it stills alive 
wink_face.gif

The epoxy will influe on the rigidity of the wood and change the acoustical behavior of the material, variations of harmonic frequency and also change the way of damping the cup.

I will try with a 3 mm felt and in the futur try with 1 mm of felt and some cottonwhool. I have plan to create a binaural measurment system and if it works, I will make some measurment of the different damping solution.

I've also  LCD2 and Beyredynamic pads to fit with the cup at home.

Do you want to offset the driver in the baffle?

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,160 of 2,225
Invading the thread here! About wood, do you know any differences? I can get ebony cups for my cans, even other pieces if needed thanks to a friend of mine. Would it be a good material? I mean its color is beautiful and it's strength and durability is for sure one of the best. Would give a red/black candy Damascus aspect I think.

I've wondered if wood was giving the same resonance to headphones than acoustic or hollow body guitars. Is it? I'll take my time to read the whole thread but why closing the "semi-open" Fostex in the first place, if holes are drilled under the drivers to let the bass roll?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back