Thunderpants!
Jan 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #1,951 of 2,225

Quote:
Hey guys, are there any midrange portable amps (300-400$) that can power the thunderpants well?

portable is tricky, but I also wouldn't really recommend the Thunderpants for portable use.  How portable is portable?  If you mean something you plug into a laptop at work, then there are some good options.  To carry around in your pocket is a bit more impractical.

Quote:
How do the wood Thunderpants compare against the RS1 and LCD-2's?

In some ways, it's not an apt comparison.  The Thunderpants are closed--as closed as headphones get, really.  Both of the others you described are open.  

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #1,953 of 2,225

Quote:
portable is tricky, but I also wouldn't really recommend the Thunderpants for portable use.  How portable is portable?  If you mean something you plug into a laptop at work, then there are some good options.  To carry around in your pocket is a bit more impractical.

I disagree. When I had mine built, portability was a prime requirement, and discussed this with Smeggy. Smeggy regularly uses his in portable mode, and I take mine on the plane regularly.
I use the Leckerton Audio UHA-6 DAC/Amp. It has plenty of power and drives the Thunderpants quite effectively. In either version (with or without Toslink) it is less than the low end of the price range stated.

No headphone is going to do as well with a portable setup as it will with a large home rig, and the Thunderpants are no exception, but you can get most excellent performance from the Thunderpants portably, and the high isolation of the Thunderpants are a huge plus while traveling.

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #1,954 of 2,225
While we're on the subject of amps: would a Cavalli SOHA II be a good match for a pair of TP1s?  I ask because while I see the CTH recommended all over for these headphones, I rarely see the SOHA series mentioned in conjunction with these headphones even though it's a more powerful hybrid designed by the same people.  Makes me wonder even though they sound like a great combo in theory.

I ordered one last week. Thoughts?

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,955 of 2,225
Heh.  Guess not.  Anyway, it sounds fantastic now that I've finally got a complete system set up:

Smeggy Thunderpants TP1
Asus Xonar Essence STX - RCA line output with MonoPrice premium 3-foot RCA cable
Cavalli SOHA II Super SE hybrid tube amp
Foobar2000 in ASIO mode with channel mixer and Dolby Headphone wrapper

Audio bliss achieved for less than a thousand dollars total.  I'm a happy man.

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,956 of 2,225
Finally got around to finishing up my Thunderpants-inspired T50RP modded headphones.  I'll post more details later, since I've made a few unique decisions on these.... but they really sound GREAT!

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,959 of 2,225

Quote:
Looks great, well done, I've always wondered how those pads felt when worn, they probably have an amazing seal though.

Thanks!  I'm pretty happy with how they turned out :)  The Beyer Gels, recommended by Funch, are actually very comfortable, and much more so that the Shure pads (or stock).  A little cold when you first put them on, and they can get a tad sweaty, but they sound GREAT and the isolate very well.

Quote:
Glad that you're enjoying them. They turned out great.

So, how did you mount the pads?

Well, I owe a lot of thanks to you, Funch.  Thanks again!

How did I mount the pads to the baffles?  If so, it's just the standard method -- flip the lip on the gels, push the ear pad tight against the baffle, and then flip the lip down quickly and carefully.  It honestly takes me about 30 seconds per side at this point.  The slightly angled ear baffle edge helps keep them on there too.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #1,960 of 2,225
For those who haven't tried them and who are looking around for possible pads, I also highly recommend checking out the LCD-2 pads.
Extremely comfortable, great isolation and fantastic sound stage.
I have a photo of mine if anyone is interested.

Quote:
Thanks!  I'm pretty happy with how they turned out :)  The Beyer Gels, recommended by Funch, are actually very comfortable, and much more so that the Shure pads (or stock).  A little cold when you first put them on, and they can get a tad sweaty, but they sound GREAT and the isolate very well.

Well, I owe a lot of thanks to you, Funch.  Thanks again!

How did I mount the pads to the baffles?  If so, it's just the standard method -- flip the lip on the gels, push the ear pad tight against the baffle, and then flip the lip down quickly and carefully.  It honestly takes me about 30 seconds per side at this point.  The slightly angled ear baffle edge helps keep them on there too.

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #1,962 of 2,225

This is from the recent Seattle meet. I didn't take the picture but I think it shows them off rather nicely (post #47 by miceblue).
There are two pairs of Thunderpants in the post, mine are on the lower left.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591846/seattle-meet-front-panel-express-1-21-2012/45#post_8087830

Quote:
Yeah, please do post a pic.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #1,963 of 2,225
Looks very nice yipcanjo! 

-M

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #1,965 of 2,225
I think this is the best place to ask.  I was wondering if anyone has paired a set of Thunderpants with any of the Burson family of amps?  I was considering the HA-160D, but would only consider it if paired well with a pair of Smeggy's TP1s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back